New SC5w Mk II AA Flashlight Neutral White!!

Nichia!

Banned
This is NW Version!!
6c9eb311047081651eb5ac0c3e8bad34.jpg
a7e41555685ed7b3551d8b5f49456866.jpg
799b85312573c51ca9ab7dde573e9a9e.jpg

Cree XP-L2 EasyWhite LED
Nominal CCT 4500K
Typical CRI: 83-85

Robe

Enlightened
What's the difference in this and the old one besides about 50 additional lumens? I get lost in the nomenclature.

markr6

Flashaholic
Shipping May 15. Looks good! I may pick one of these up in addition to the high CRI version I have coming. Just not sure about the size yet...need to get it in hand to know for sure.

Actually, scratch that. I'll stick with just the high CRI since the output isn't that much different.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Yea know my NW XM-L SC5w has one of the best NW tints in terms of not being too warm or cw. Maybe the smaller XP-L would throw better within the same reflector but the SC5 is already so powerful it can throw just because of raw power for 1XAA.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the difference in this and the old one besides about 50 additional lumens? I get lost in the nomenclature.

It looks to me like:

- New mode groups (under discussion in the SC5c Mk II thread)
- Minor body geometry changes - slightly more "curvy"
- Change from XM-L2 to XP-L2 emitter - slightly better output and efficiency

Along with the emitter change, Zebralight seems to be getting more selective about the CRI and tint bins. They're calling out 83-85 CRI typical instead of 75 typical - this isn't even being advertised as a high CRI model, yet it matches the CRI spec and almost matches the tint tolerance of the old high CRI model.

Yea know my NW XM-L SC5w has one of the best NW tints in terms of not being too warm or cw. Maybe the smaller XP-L would throw better within the same reflector but the SC5 is already so powerful it can throw just because of raw power for 1XAA.

I think throw is basically the same between XP-L and XM-L series, but lights designed for the XP-L can also be made with the XP-L HI for more throw. The XP-L can also be adapted easily to lights designed for the XP-G, but with less throw than the XP-G at similar outputs.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
It looks to me like:

- New mode groups (under discussion in the SC5c Mk II thread)
- Minor body geometry changes - slightly more "curvy"
- Change from XM-L2 to XP-L2 emitter - slightly better output and efficiency

Along with the emitter change, Zebralight seems to be getting more selective about the CRI and tint bins. They're calling out 83-85 CRI typical instead of 75 typical - this isn't even being advertised as a high CRI model, yet it matches the CRI spec and almost matches the tint tolerance of the old high CRI model.

I think throw is basically the same between XP-L and XM-L series, but lights designed for the XP-L can also be made with the XP-L HI for more throw. The XP-L can also be adapted easily to lights designed for the XP-G, but with less throw than the XP-G at similar outputs.

I could be wrong but thought the size of the LED/emitter was smaller for the XP-L. A smaller emitter within the same sized reflector should inherently throw father. But again could be wrong.

Edit. I wonder if the actual emitter (glowing part ) is smaller or just the platform which supports it. If it's just the platform then I would be wrong in terms of throw.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could be wrong but thought the size of the LED/emitter was smaller for the XP-L. A smaller emitter within the same sized reflector should inherently throw father. But again could be wrong.

Edit. I wonder if the actual emitter (glowing part ) is smaller or just the platform which supports it. If it's just the platform then I would be wrong in terms of throw.

Your last sentence is basically right.

I managed to find a nice clear picture below of an XM-L2 that I think can be used to understand it.

The big square base is the ceramic substrate, which is often sapphire, but Cree uses silicon carbide. This acts as a physical base structure, plus as the thermal and electrical connection to the circuit board. Among other things, a wide base provides a good thermal path to get rid of heat into the circuit board (which, usually having a metal core, can then transfer that heat to the flashlight body). XM, XP, and XQ are different Cree substrate families.

On top of that is the die of the LED itself. This is the actual doped silicon that emits light. Unimportant for this discussion, but you can also see the wires that deliver power to the die, and the yellow phosphor coating that converts the blue light of the LED into a relatively full spectrum of white light. I guess L, G, and E are different Cree die families.

Lastly, there is the optical dome that helps shape the light emitted by the LED into a pattern flashlight or light fixture designers can conveniently work with. A bare die would emit light mostly upward, but the dome spreads it out more.

I'm a little unclear of the details, but I think part of what Cree managed to do with XP-L was improve the thermal conductivity of the substrate so it could be smaller for the same power level. To get a good light pattern from the same size die, however, they had to keep the same radius on the dome, which means the light is distributed in a similar manner to almost the full flashlight reflector...with the minor exception of at the edges of the LED, where they squared off a small portion of the edges of the dome to fit on the smaller substrate. This slightly alters the pattern, but not much.

In contrast, the XP-L HI, with its flat dome, does have a very different pattern. With the light not coming from a radiused dome, Cree describes the HI flat dome as "appearing smaller" to the reflector.

Also, the XP-G2, with the same size substrate as the XP-L, is able to use a smaller dome because it has a smaller die. That smaller dome likewise results in a tighter focus from the reflector, but the smaller die can't produce as much light as the XP-L.

Cree12122012.jpg

Put this emitter in a new easywhite 18650 headlamp please.

It seems like a certainty they will. The specs they're showing are too good to not upgrade their best lights with the same. I think the AA models are getting it first simply because they were in most need of updating.

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
All that is correct. From what I remember, the XPL is the improvement of the XML2, which uses the same sized die, but a smaller overall package (the base is smaller.) So, a domed XPL will throw the same as a domed XML (actually it will slightly more since XPL's output is slightly greater than XML2s, and the XPL2 will throw a little further than the XPL, since it is also an improvement in efficiency.)

My H600FD uses an XML2 easywhite at 5000k, and I guess back then Cree had to mix-match tint bins of various LEDs to get one that was very close to the black body locus. As a result Zebralight had to put the light under a frosted lens with heavy orange peeling. I'm not too big a fan of frosted lenses as they're not efficient with light as a clear lens and a a hotspot+spill pattern. It looks as though these new XPL2s with the easywhite binning don't need to use quad dies, so I certainly hope they can upgrade the headlamps. The AA form-factor headlamps are already pretty juicy as it is.

TCY

Enlightened
I gotta say it's nice to see that even with the regular W version ZL is using LEDs with 80+CRI and within a 3-step MacAdam Ellipse. Buyers are definitely going to notice this improvement.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easywhite just refers to how tight they bin the LEDs. Any LED with an easywhite designation will undergo more strict selections based off tint shift from the ideal black body curve. There are 2,3, and 5 step binnings, and the smaller the number, the less allowance there is for tint shift from the black body curve.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easywhite just refers to how tight they bin the LEDs. Any LED with an easywhite designation will undergo more strict selections based off tint shift from the ideal black body curve. There are 2,3, and 5 step binnings, and the smaller the number, the less allowance there is for tint shift from the black body curve.
The XM-L2 Easywhite LEDs are also quad die. On the XM-L2 though, they are very close together unlike some of the larger quad die LEDs.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The easy white are also quad die. On the XM-L2 though, they are very close together unlike some of the larger quad die LEDs.

The XM-L2 seems to only be available in Easywhite bins as a quad die, 6-12V emitter.

The XP-L2 is apparently available in single die Easywhite bins. I guess they've been improving their ability to control the output of their product.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XM-L2 seems to only be available in Easywhite bins as a quad die, 6-12V emitter.

The XP-L2 is apparently available in single die Easywhite bins. I guess they've been improving their ability to control the output of their product.
Yes, I was referring to the older model with XM-L2 Easywhite. I should've made that clearer.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.zebralight.com/SC5w-Mk-II-AA-Flashlight-Neutral-White_p_193.html

• Cree XP-L2 EasyWhite LED
    • Nominal CCT 4500K
    • Typical CRI: 83-85
    • Tint deviation: 3-Step MacAdam ellipse
http://www.zebralight.com/SC5c-Mk-II-AA-Flashlight-Neutral-White-High-CRI_p_192.html

• Cree XP-L2 EasyWhite LED
    • Nominal CCT 4000K
    • Typical CRI: 93-95
    • Tint deviation: 2-step MacAdam ellipse
And the output. The C is going to have better color rendition and a little less variation of tint, and the W is going to have slightly higher outputs.

markr6

Flashaholic
And the output. The C is going to have better color rendition and a little less variation of tint, and the W is going to have slightly higher outputs.

Yeah the max 550lm vs 475lm made the choice easy for me. Actually I ordered the SC5c before the w was announced, but I would do the same again. That extra 75lm isn't enough to give up the higher CRI for me.