A light for checking cows in field.

ltec

Newly Enlightened
I have a fenix pd35 and it won't shine far enough​. Led lenser p7 not bright enough and a light s20 i think 1000 lumens like the pd35 but not far enough. Fields are up 300 metres to find cow calving.
I'm afraid the olight mx3 javalot would be too focused but i don't know, also would want to be fit to use up close to cow and not blind her so different settings
Don't really want to go over £150

colight

Enlightened
You can now buy the Fenix TK47 from the Fenix Store for $140, and I'm sure you'll be able to pick it up for a little cheaper. Those are good for about 700 m, according to Fenix. I have one, and they will definitely light up your cows in the distance. Its settings can change from low to turbo, so your cows won't be blinded. You won't make a mistake with this one!

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a fenix pd35 and it won't shine far enough​. Led lenser p7 not bright enough and a light s20 i think 1000 lumens like the pd35 but not far enough. Fields are up 300 metres to find cow calving.
I'm afraid the olight mx3 javalot would be too focused but i don't know, also would want to be fit to use up close to cow and not blind her so different settings
I have the Olight, beam is very good at distance, really doubt it'd be too narrow.

It has lower output modes too, but the trouble is, the beam profile is for distance, so very bright and intense hot spot. The spill beam isn't dull exactly, but in contrast to the hot spot it is. This means that for close up use you have to use a low mode or be dazzled by the hotspot, but the spill beam is then very dull.

Great light for things at least 40 yards away and much further, but not really good for close up stuff.

But this issue will be the same with ALL throwers. To get the distance you'll need the beam profile. You could probably have some kind of diffuser to put on the end of the light, but that would mean carrying something else with you. And if that's the case, then a small tube light would be a much better thing to carry with you instead of a diffuser.

I guess a good flood to throw (zoomy) would do the trick, but you may not find anything off the shelf capable of the distances you need.

Both Led Lenser and Coast do some big zoomies that should have the range and then a great close up flood ability. But they are monstrously expensive and in both cases physically large and heavy lights.

You could probably custom build something to suite if that appeals to you.

As for other options, well there are some monster lights these days, with very high outputs, either high driven large single LEDs or multi led setups. These don't exactly have 'thrower' beam profiles. But often due to shear output can attain pretty good beam distances. The larger more floody beam profile would also suit closer up. Only real down side is, they can be pricey and physically large and heavy.

I wonder if your solution is actually a 2 light setup. Keep the PD35 in your pocket for close up work and then have a compact thrower for the distance.

The Olight is a good choice, but you can probably get 80%+ of the way there for a fraction of the price. The Convoy C8 with the XP-L HI is £15 on banggood. Very good quality light. It won't throw as far as the Olight, but you'd probably be staggered by how good it.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can now buy the Fenix TK47 from the Fenix Store for $140, and I'm sure you'll be able to pick it up for a little cheaper. Those are good for about 700 m, according to Fenix. I have one, and they will definitely light up your cows in the distance. Its settings can change from low to turbo, so your cows won't be blinded. You won't make a mistake with this one!
700m is likely to ANSI FL1, which means very low lux at that distance. I suspect even in daylight on a sunny day it would be hard to tell exactly what a cow was doing at 700 metres away.

ltec

Newly Enlightened
I have the Olight, beam is very good at distance, really doubt it'd be too narrow.

It has lower output modes too, but the trouble is, the beam profile is for distance, so very bright and intense hot spot. The spill beam isn't dull exactly, but in contrast to the hot spot it is. This means that for close up use you have to use a low mode or be dazzled by the hotspot, but the spill beam is then very dull.

Great light for things at least 40 yards away and much further, but not really good for close up stuff.

But this issue will be the same with ALL throwers. To get the distance you'll need the beam profile. You could probably have some kind of diffuser to put on the end of the light, but that would mean carrying something else with you. And if that's the case, then a small tube light would be a much better thing to carry with you instead of a diffuser.

I guess a good flood to throw (zoomy) would do the trick, but you may not find anything off the shelf capable of the distances you need.

Both Led Lenser and Coast do some big zoomies that should have the range and then a great close up flood ability. But they are monstrously expensive and in both cases physically large and heavy lights.

You could probably custom build something to suite if that appeals to you.

As for other options, well there are some monster lights these days, with very high outputs, either high driven large single LEDs or multi led setups. These don't exactly have 'thrower' beam profiles. But often due to shear output can attain pretty good beam distances. The larger more floody beam profile would also suit closer up. Only real down side is, they can be pricey and physically large and heavy.

I wonder if your solution is actually a 2 light setup. Keep the PD35 in your pocket for close up work and then have a compact thrower for the distance.

The Olight is a good choice, but you can probably get 80%+ of the way there for a fraction of the price. The Convoy C8 with the XP-L HI is £15 on banggood. Very good quality light. It won't throw as far as the Olight, but you'd probably be staggered by how good it.

I've looked up the convoy torch, is it a xp-l hi v2 1a

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?419873-Convoy-L6

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore P30. Single 18650 or two CR123. Nice large reflector so would easily reach your 300 meters with enough light to be useful. Also has some very nice low modes for close-up work. Has a very nice tight hot spot on Turbo while still having a nice spill. Hot spot tones down as one moves down the modes. Small enough to fit in jacket/coat pocket or ride on belt without aggravation. Best point - $60 MSRP, I got mine for $48 USD with a coupon from BLF. I love mine.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Convoy L6 is very cool.

It's a bit of a monster though, i.e. big and heavy. But as I mentioned in my post above, it uses a single large LED and pumps out loads of lumens. It's not exactly a thrower though, but a hugely capable torch.

If the heft and bulk isn't an issue, it is a good torch.