1 x RCR123 body compatible with A2 head?

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a big fan of calypsoii multi-mode ring for A2. While I am waiting for the Yuji high cri 5mm LEDs I ordered, it occurred to me that the ring would make a great light on its own, ie without the incand bulb. For example, I can put a 60 deg 3200K LED for dim night time illumination and 2x 45 deg 5600K LEDs for brighter day time beam.

Now the point is that for 5mm LEDs I don't need the long body of an A2 so the question is if there is a clicky 1x RCR123 body compatible with an A2 head? I think SF M1 illuminator is compatible, but is there anything else?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
question is if there is a clicky 1x RCR123 body compatible with an A2 head? I think SF M1 illuminator is compatible, but is there anything else?

My understanding is Surefire had no other models head thread-compatible with the incan A2 Aviator, and the aftermarket for customizing the incan A2 may have have been dampened by brand-loyalty to its novelty, and possibly its relative complexity, with the special reflector, ring and lamp assembly in the head and the incan regulator in the body, and the dual-stage momentary twisty switch. I believe the incan A2 Aviator tail threads (only) may be thread compatable with the Lumamax? Not certain. Also, FWIW I believe McGizmo's McE2s switch assembly was not only momentary dual-stage, but was also a clicky, unlike the A2 twisty.

Would be kind of cool to have a shorty A2, but the regulator... still, without, so an unregulated single cell light... and the LED's aren't regulated to begin with, so just with the 6V LED ring, you'd think there might be some even custom 3V-4V options available for just using the ring. Should be by now, what's the problem? If they were ever made, they wouldn't be able to keep keep up with the demand, but apparently the incan A2 head threads are just an odd ball size. Maybe all that you need is some kind of ring for compatability with E-Series or P-Series. But, and again, perhaps the novelty of the incan regulator might have prevented an A2 shorty development, or maybe the voltage requrements of the LED ring, or the theads, head-diameter, or some of these reasons together, or all these reasons together and a long list of other more subtle reasons that may never see the light of day.

Last edited: