SunwayLED        

Thread: /Lightweight/ gear recommendation - for the Camino de Santiago trail

Help /Lightweight/ gear recommendation - for the Camino de Santiago trail

Need a gear recommendation along the lines of something ultra-lightweight, for doing a portion of the Camino Trail in Spain.

We have all the typical backpacker gear, but the normal equipment is just too heavy and/or unnecessary for this.

Any suggestions for anything very small & light to replace typical hiking/backpacking gear?
    Have skimmed a few guides for the normal tips: i.e. the cellphone flashlight app, etc ...

Thanks,
    K

-----

Edit: Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was hoping for a gift idea for Mrs. K.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 04-20-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Default Re: /Lightweight/ gear recommendation - for the Camino de Santiago trail

I'm not familiar with this trail and what you'll be carrying, but here are some generic ideas:

- The smartphone flashlight isn't my favorite, so I'd still bring something small like a Zebralight SC52/5. Good runtimes too. Nice moonlight mode for nighttime.

- If you typically carry a knife, but won't be doing heavy work like batoning, you may be able to leave it at home and take a Swiss Army Classic instead (knife, scissors, tweezers, file, all kinds of handy stuff). It's pretty much a "keychain" knife, but popular with the super ultralighters.

- Will you be cooking? Dehydrated meals, a titanium pot, and alcohol stove is very light weight. You just need to carry the fuel in a water-tight bottle.

- Treating water for drinking on the way? Chlorine dioxide tablets are small and light. I like Katadyn MP1 brand, but there are others. A filter like the sawyer squeeze is another option.

- Buy the 0.5oz eye relief stuff. Spill them out and refill with stuff like shampoo and soap. Depending on how long this trip is, 0.5oz may not be enough. If not try a larger, but similar bottle.
    GOOD TINT!

Default Re: /Lightweight/ gear recommendation - for the Camino de Santiago trail

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Edit: Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was hoping for a gift idea for Mrs. K.
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    The smartphone flashlight isn't my favorite, so I'd still bring something small like a Zebralight SC52/5. Good runtimes too. Nice moonlight mode for nighttime.
    I agree on that - was thinking of a new 1xAAA light anyway.

Good excuse to gift her a Surefire Titan-A - she likes SF's for some reason (how did that happen lolol).

A&Q Moderator

Equinox Silnlyon poncho with extension.

http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/t...ho-shelter.cfm

MSR Titian Ti kettle. Notice the poncho collecting water for me. LOL.

https://www.msrgear.com/cookware/titan-kettle

GSI plastic cups and spoon/sporks etc etc utensils. Avoid LMF plastic spoons at all costs.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/shop/dining/utensils.html

I got more but in the middle of something so will be back later.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

More info on avoiding LMF spoons, please. PM if that's better. I've got some of their sporks and am curious.

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    More info on avoiding LMF spoons, please. PM if that's better. I've got some of their sporks and am curious.
    They snap in half unexpectedly. So far two have done it and the third is now in the kitchen and will one day brake. When it fails I will have no explanation and it will happen when under very little stress. It's totally strange but they just radially fail. I will look for some photos as took them. Have one which failed during the stirring of powdered mashed potato of all things.

A&Q Moderator

If the temps are above freezing I highly recommend the Sawyer Squeeze. Get the original Squeeze over Mini. Highly recommended gear item for UL and just about everything else. I have retired my other water filters for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    They snap in half unexpectedly.
    Exactly. I snapped 2 in about 6 months even without using them hard. Using titanium now.
    GOOD TINT!

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. They'll go in the kitchen drawer.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. They'll go in the kitchen drawer.
    I bet that's a well stocked kitchen drawer

A&Q Moderator

I found the photo and even still have the broken LMF spork. Just snapped right here and even happened before to another.

Thanks for the pic, WW. Can't have that happening. I'll save them for the kiddos to have cereal with.

Thanks for the pic, WW. Can't have that happening. I'll save them for the kiddos to have cereal with.
    Or mashed potatoes from KFC...
    John 3:16
    "I'm still a Toys R Us kid" -PK

Do you run them through the dishwasher? The sani rinse is hard on stuff, super hot. My Nalgene bottles used to develop cracks on the lip of the mouth after extended dishwasher runs. I have not broken any LMF sporks though I have several for my lunchbox.

Kestrel I should have asked: How long do you plan on being out on the trail?

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Do you run them through the dishwasher? The sani rinse is hard on stuff, super hot. My Nalgene bottles used to develop cracks on the lip of the mouth after extended dishwasher runs. I have not broken any LMF sporks though I have several for my lunchbox.
    No dish washing etc etc. Sorry to say they just suck. The problem is they look great till the eventual unexpected snap. No sign of impending doom. Had a yellow one die just like the red one.

Kestrel I should have asked: How long do you plan on being out on the trail?
    Sorry for the minimal feedback; have been reading, just not much writing. Thx for the ideas from everybody tho.

Will be just Mrs. K for this trip, about 4+ wks so not the whole trek; unfortunately CPF won't be getting a vacation from me lol.

Default /Lightweight/ gear recommendation - for the Camino de Santiago trail

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    We have all the typical backpacker gear, but the normal equipment is just too heavy and/or unnecessary for this.

Any suggestions for anything very small & light to replace typical hiking/backpacking gear?
    THIS might help with some ideas. ~5lbs/10L for the core camping gear comfortable to ~40F - backpack, clothing, gadgets, and consumables are extra. I use it for backpacking, bicycle touring, and motorcycle touring. So lightweight/compact/multi-tasking, it's worthy of stealth daypack EDC and non-committal if you decide to hit B&Bs along the way. Interestingly, most of it actually out performs my larger/heavier traditional BPing gear... so few sacrifices.
    Last edited by reppans; 05-05-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    THIS might help with some ideas. ~5lbs/10L for the core camping gear comfortable to ~40F
    Now I feel like a loser - heading out Sunday night for a 3.5-day trip and pack weighs 26lb total (with food, water, everything). Only down to 33°, highs around 50.
    GOOD TINT!