Fitorch        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: v5 Triple Scout / E Series Heads

Default Re: v5 Triple Scout / E Series Heads

Quote Originally Posted by JPA261 View Post
    Is there a more likely chance for an LED to break or the circuit board to melt, if I mainly use this light for momentary and once a while constant on?
    The board is configured to keep the internal temperature under 150F. But this is a safety level, protecting you. The board and all its parts are rated up to nearly 250F. And if for some reason the 150 limit were disabled, the board would keep the temperature under that 250 mark (a setting that can't be disabled). You can run it on full, all night every night and the parts will not melt.

Quote Originally Posted by JPA261 View Post
    That is interesting that the BOSS has replaceable boards and optics and the E- series one don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by euroken View Post
    Here is the chart that you can take a look to see what the differences are in OR/Torchlab products:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...al-Mode-Groups
    Oops, that was the old (surefire) E head. Our new all custom E heads are BOSS twins, just with smaller threading. I've updated the chart showing both options!

How resistant are these to being submerged? i have a job where half the time my equipment is exposed to water and wonder how well these hold up against being either submerged or splashed by water. Apologies in advance if this was answered elsewhere.

Here's a quote from EG in the BOSS thread. I understand that the E heads (earlier in this thread) are the same as the BOSS, just different threads...
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    We don't do lab testing/certifications but do tend to overbuild things. BOSS is well sealed and should hold up to normal uses up to and including swimming. But even if water does get in, the head is sealed top and bottom. So if the cell can handle it, you can probably change batteries under water. Just make sure to dry and relube after heavy water or salty environment uses.

There may not have been enough time for people to really field test these but we've done some ourselves...

Every BOSS ships with battery bumpers, the sole purpose of which is to prevent the battery from crushing the switch during heavy and repeated tail impacts. Here's how that testing went:

thank you peter!! this puts me much more at ease. there are times we put our light under water to diagnose a problem or even when accidentally dunked in water. And now... for my boss head to get to work....

There are several layers of seals:

Hey EG, so what do you mean by 'if the cell can handle it'? I noticed you used CR123 in the video. Are there concerns if 'other' kinds of cells are used if the water accidentally does get inside the tube?

Quote Originally Posted by euroken View Post
    Hey EG, so what do you mean by 'if the cell can handle it'? I noticed you used CR123 in the video. Are there concerns if 'other' kinds of cells are used if the water accidentally does get inside the tube?
    We didn't have word from AW when first posting that video.

Here's the official statement:

Most cells can handle fresh water exposure especially a primary cell that will be discarded after single use. Salt water exposure is a no-no for any type of cells.

For a rechargeable cell after fresh water exposure, it must be dried thoroughly before any charge/recharge cycle.

Thank you for that info!

We didn't have word from AW when first posting that video.

Here's the official statement:
    Yup, salt water conducts a charge which will kill batteries. Luckily fresh water doesn't, so they should - in theory - be fine.
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

I love e series legos...

Quote Originally Posted by mk2rocco View Post
    I love e series legos...

I like that tail cap and clip, what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattj96 View Post
    I like that tail cap and clip, what is it?
    It's an Arisaka.

Quote Originally Posted by mk2rocco View Post
    It's an Arisaka.
    Did you tap those holes for the clip?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattj96 View Post
    Did you tap those holes for the clip?
    Yea, it works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    If you want max high only for both mode groups
    --> first mode group: 1x Li-Ion
    --> second mode group: 2x CR123A (for backup)
    your program should look like this:

Would it be just fine to choose ICR/IMR 18650 x 2 (instead of CR123A x 2) under "Two in series", set to Level 25 (8.8w) .and. run on 2xCR123?

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    Would it be just fine to choose ICR/IMR 18650 x 2 (instead of CR123A x 2) under "Two in series", set to Level 25 (8.8w) .and. run on 2xCR123?
    One of the things the dedicated CR mode does is disable rechargeable cell protection (which blocks much of the CR discharge range). You can turn these off manually but they'll be off for both one and two cells. So rather than splitting the difference, its usually best to go one way or the other:

Mostly rechargeable: leave CR mode off, program for full power and limit CR uses to modes M or below

Mostly primary: leave CR mode on, program for reduced levels and use rechargeables when needed but keep checking the voltage.

Thank you Sir, very informative reply. ^^

One of the things the dedicated CR mode does is disable rechargeable cell protection (which blocks much of the CR discharge range). You can turn these off manually but they'll be off for both one and two cells. So rather than splitting the difference, its usually best to go one way or the other:

Mostly rechargeable: leave CR mode off, program for full power and limit CR uses to modes M or below

Mostly primary: leave CR mode on, program for reduced levels and use rechargeables when needed but keep checking the voltage.
    For best of both worlds... made a dedicated program sequence for IMR (normal use), and another dedicated for 1x/2x CR123 (emergency/backup use). And saved both files to the mobile phone.

I have one of these beauties (Torchlab AB Triple v5 Scout - 7075 Satin Black).

Can I run it on 2xIMR 14500 in a E2L AA SF Outdoorsman lego (With appropriate switch)? Or is that unwise???

Quote Originally Posted by Nyctophiliac View Post
    I have one of these beauties (Torchlab AB Triple v5 Scout - 7075 Satin Black).

Can I run it on 2xIMR 14500 in a E2L AA SF Outdoorsman lego (With appropriate switch)? Or is that unwise???
    AFAIK it can. But pls wait for others to chime in. Good luck.

AW IMR14500 are as good as AW IMR18350 for power delivery.
    Assuming they fit, the only concern is the switch!

AW IMR14500 are as good as AW IMR18350 for power delivery.
    Assuming they fit, the only concern is the switch!
    Okeydokey.

I have a Lumensfactory E series McClicky tailcap coming in the post, which should be ok (?), but I was going to use Nitecore IMR NI 14500 cells which are rated for 6.5 amps Max discharge current.

I'd like to have AW cells, but they are a little hard to come by here in the UK - currently I can only get 18650.

Obviously I wouldn't want to create an unsafe combo, I just want to see what the Scout engine can do fully powered.

Maybe I'll use my Malkoff 1 x 14500 body instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyctophiliac View Post
    Obviously I wouldn't want to create an unsafe combo, I just want to see what the Scout engine can do fully powered.

Maybe I'll use my Malkoff 1 x 14500 body instead!
    My reason for saying AW above is that these have been put through their paces and I am confident in a good result. v5 includes battery monitors to protect weak sells, so the concern is not that the cell will fail so much as the protection will kick in and you'll wonder why its dimming. If you put it on full blast and it holds, the cells have passed these tests. McClicky has been extensively tested for safe consistent results.

My reason for saying AW above is that these have been put through their paces and I am confident in a good result. v5 includes battery monitors to protect weak sells, so the concern is not that the cell will fail so much as the protection will kick in and you'll wonder why its dimming. If you put it on full blast and it holds, the cells have passed these tests. McClicky has been extensively tested for safe consistent results.

Thank you, sir.

The Engine is terrific BTW.

Enlightened

I know this may have been asked but I can't seem to find it. Can the 4th colored LED's brightness be adjusted? A bit more, would be a bit better for me. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SwellGuy View Post
    I know this may have been asked but I can't seem to find it. Can the 4th colored LED's brightness be adjusted? A bit more, would be a bit better for me. Thanks
    No, the colored LEDs output can not be adjusted.
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

Quote Originally Posted by SwellGuy View Post
    If you are using red, trying amber for a tad brighter output.

Im having some perplexing behaviour out of my newer triple E head on high, it will run for about 30 seconds and then turn off and refuse to come back on for a minute or two. It will then run for anywhere from another minute to quite a while.

Ive tried using AWs and some new AWTs both and got the same behaviour. My X300 v5 doesnt act like this at all with the same batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
    Im having some perplexing behaviour out of my newer triple E head on high, it will run for about 30 seconds and then turn off and refuse to come back on for a minute or two. It will then run for anywhere from another minute to quite a while.

Ive tried using AWs and some new AWTs both and got the same behaviour. My X300 v5 doesnt act like this at all with the same batteries.
    Sorry for the difficulties. Does it only happen on high?

Most E head issues are because of the switch (60%) or the battery (30%)

Is your body one cell or two and does your body have one of these?

https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/...for-z57-z61-e/

Yes, it only happens on high. It is a two cell body. I was told it was a mcclicky switch when I bought it but after your post I took it apart and turns out to be a factory switch so that is likely the problem. Thank you for the help!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast