Acebeam        
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213 LastLast

Thread: New H53c AA Headlamp Neutral White High CRI!

Default Re: New H53c AA Headlamp Neutral White High CRI!

Well. I found another bug in the new firmware that effectively ruins it for me.

This affects both the sc5c II and the h53c.

I've programmed g7 on both (have not tried g6 but it should be the same).

I've reverse mapped the levels so that L1, L2 (long press) are high and H1, H2 (quick press) are low. I kept medium the same.

This, in theory, should allow me to do a quick press to get low levels (and not kill my night vision) and do a long press for high.

Holding the button starts on high and scrolls down to low.

Two quick presses should allow me to get to medium with no preflash. Well. It doesn't. When I do two quick presses, I get low, a brief preflash to high, before settling in to medium. So in theory I could have 0.08 lumens, a brief 475 lumen flash before settling into 7 lumens.

This is garbage.

Now I need to decide if the new firmware is the deciding factor in keeping or returning the light. I have enough lights. Maybe I need to wait for the next run or next models to fix the firmware bugs.

Oh well.

Might be worth keeping but still use the old firmware. The one advantage is that you can program every level. I'm finding m1 too bright. I'll just reprogram it to a lower level.

Unenlightened

I received my H53Fc yesterday. It's the first new head lamp I've bought in seven years and is a huge step forward from my trusty old Fenix HL20. It puts out a very even light for reading in bed at night and the higher CRI make working in the garden after dark much better too.

I'll be playing with the various modes for quite a while, fine tuning things I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Genzod View Post
    I think I finally found a throwier alternative for the boost-less H53 line:
    Thats a must have .

Quote Originally Posted by Shred View Post
    I received my H53Fc yesterday. It's the first new head lamp I've bought in seven years and is a huge step forward from my trusty old Fenix HL20. It puts out a very even light for reading in bed at night and the higher CRI make working in the garden after dark much better too.

I'll be playing with the various modes for quite a while, fine tuning things I think.
    Congrats

My discussion concerning run time here will revolve around the XP-L2 emitter (used in the H53c and H53w) compared to the XM-L2 of the former generation (used in the H52w).

Total gains in luminous power are 9% going from the XM-L2 to the XP-L, and 7.7% going from the XP-L to the XP-L2. Taken together there is a leap of 17.393%. Since there is no H52c, I will compare the "w" versions between the two generations. The H52w had a max output of 280 lm, and the newer H53w has an output of 330 lumens--a 17.86% increase in power. That seems consistent.

I made OTF efficacy vs. OTF Output regressions between the H52w and H53w to demonstrate the increase. Unfortunately Zebralight seems to have had some problems with a couple data points that are way out of range with the expected distribution. One seems to be due to a typo, a confusion between 17 hours run time and 12 hours run time, and the other is possibly due to overheating or a general step down shortening the run time.

Plotted (at FooPlot) are Efficacy (lm/W) verses Output (lumens) for the red data points of the H52w and the pink data points of the H53w. The red curve is a regression with the corrected 12/17 hour run time data point. The pink curve is simply a multiplication of the red curve by 1.25. That is fairly consistent with the 18% difference in efficacy we expect from the two different LEDs.

The black and blue curves are merely relaxed regressions that were derived with the errant/deviant points maintained in each set of data. Regression allows a scientist to form curves through scattered data to find a generalized trend. Scatter can be the result of poor experimental procedure or variables that the scientist isn't interested in tracking.

You can turn off the relaxed regressions by deleting them. You can change colors of the data points and curves. This plot makes the curves and data more clear. You can now see how far off ZL missed the 330 lm output data point of the H53w as well as the 25 lm output data point of the H52w.

If you want run time at any particular point on each curve (pink and red curve), use the Fooplot point tool (point mouse over graph and select point on line icon, then click a point on a curve) to find values of interest on each curve. Then multiply that number by 3.06 (for Eneloop Pro capacity) or 2.4 (for Eneloop capacity). Then divide by the output lumens to get run time. (see equations at bottom of this post).

Conclusions: ZL raised the max output between generations 18% with no little or no run time gain. Had the outputs always remained the same between generations, and similar batteries are compared, you would expect to see an 18% increase in run time. If any outputs are close, you can expect a run time increase close to 18%. For example: looking at the 12 lumen output on both data sets (the only equal output), the compared efficacies are 161/135 = 19.3% increase (translates to increased run time), which is close to the output improvement of 17.4% between generations.

Note: It is unclear if the same rules were observed by ZL in determining run time we observed in both headlamp tests.

The following data were used to compile curves:

ZL-H53w 4500K Eneloop Pro AA (1.2x2550 Capacity)

(OTF lm, hours, OTF lumen-hours, OTF lumen/watt)

330 0.9 297 97.1 THIS WAS OFF. Probably (but maybe not) due to a thermal or general step down shortening run time. Ignoring temperature or battery performance, the OTF efficacy would probably be around 125-140

275 1.6 440 144
    198 2.3 455.4 149
    122 4.2 512.4 167
    65 8.5 552.5 181
    30 21 630 206
    12 41 492 161
    1.2 13x24 374.4 122
    0.31 1.1x30x24 245.52 80.2
    0.07 2.2x30x24 110.88 36.2
    0.013 3.3x30x24 30.888 10.1

ZL-H52w 4400K Eneloop AA (1.2x2000 Capacity)

(OTF lm, hours, OTF lumen-hours, OTF lumen/watt)

280 0.9 252 105
    172 1.7 292.4 122
    108 3 324 135
    50 7.5 375 156

25 12 300 125 THIS WAS OFF Should be around 172 lm/W with 17 hours of run time (not 12)-- probably a ZL misread typo between 12 and 17.

12 27 324 135
    2.7 4x24 259.2 108
    0.34 3x7x24 171.36 71.4
    0.06 2x30x24 86.4 36.0
    0.01 3x30x24 21.6 9.0

Run Time Equations

HOURS = (OTF lm/W)*(3.06) / OUTPUT LM (Eneloop PROs)
    HOURS = (OTF lm/W)*(2.40) / OUTPUT LM (Eneloop)
    Last edited by Genzod; 06-08-2017 at 04:37 PM.
    General Zod: "So this is planet Houston." Superman II (1980)

Great info Genzod . Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Offgridled View Post
    Great info Genzod . Thank you!!
    Looks like I squeezed in my conclusion corrections just in time. Just to be safe, check that again.

Can anyone directly compare the Zebralight H53Fc to the H502w? I have the H502w and I'd like to know if the H53Fc would be a noticeable upgrade.
    H53Fc: http://www.zebralight.com/H53Fc-AA-H...CRI_p_195.html
    H502w: http://www.zebralight.com/H502w-L2-A...ite_p_141.html

I don't have the H502w, however the beam shapes are different. The H502w is a flood beam where the H53fc is floody with a hotspot. The "F" beam shapes are more general purpose, reaching out a bit further then the H502w flood beam.

One difference that you would gain, is the "C" would be more consistent in the beam color and giving you better color rendition over the "W".

Hey all,

First post, long time reader.

I didn't see any YT videos on the new h53 so I made one. Not trying to self-promote, I don't have a channel other than that video, but if you want to see it it's there.

https://youtu.be/7iSJ5j-QEq4

PS: I really want an amytek wizard pro warm. I'm going to head to that thread! Forums rock. Otherwise I'd think I had a problem.

Thanks for sharing the video LightSci. It really looks small in your hands!

You tested a lithium ion rechargeable in your H53? Not just a lithium primary?

Zebralight says it only supports up to 2.0 Volt batteries. If it worked for you at 3.7+ Volts, that's awesome, but I'd suggest you be careful, just in case it could be something that damages the light over time.

That is, unless you want to be the guinea pig who's willing to risk a dead light for the sake of science. I do know several posters here would be very interested to hear of long term results using a lithium ion battery in this light.

Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    Thanks for sharing the video LightSci. It really looks small in your hands!

You tested a lithium ion rechargeable in your H53? Not just a lithium primary?

Zebralight says it only supports up to 2.0 Volt batteries. If it worked for you at 3.7+ Volts, that's awesome, but I'd suggest you be careful, just in case it could be something that damages the light over time.

That is, unless you want to be the guinea pig who's willing to risk a dead light for the sake of science. I do know several posters here would be very interested to hear of long term results using a lithium ion battery in this light.
    Wow my mind is blown. I made an error. So going to the flashlights for a second, I thought the sc5 was older, because it didn't support lithium ion and the sc52 was newer because it did. I swore the H53 did.

It turns out they went from supporting lithium ion on their AA lights to not!? Im sorry for my error, I don't understand that change.

I've asked zebralight about it. I also asked them if there was any chance in heck it would let me drive it with the beauty of 4.2 volts.

Sorry for the error.

That's quite an understandable error, really. Most people here were surprised that Zebralight dropped lithium-ion support. It got a lot of discussion several pages back in this thread.

It looks like they got so good at getting high output from NiMH batteries, they decided lithium-ion wasn't that important any more.

Anyways, I'm curious, did you actually try a 14500 battery in your H53, or were you just commenting on how 14500-powered lights usually function?

That's quite an understandable error, really. Most people here were surprised that Zebralight dropped lithium-ion support. It got a lot of discussion several pages back in this thread.

It looks like they got so good at getting high output from NiMH batteries, they decided lithium-ion wasn't that important any more.

Anyways, I'm curious, did you actually try a 14500 battery in your H53, or were you just commenting on how 14500-powered lights usually function?
    No i was basing my knowledge off of the s52. I was assuming (bad move/sorry) that the support was the same.

ZebraLight got back to me and said the light can't buck that much voltage.

So either it'll not run at all, or it will and put out 500 Lumens, lol. The question is though, let's say it runs, does it really matter if you know you are over driving your led? Would anyone choose to push the light that hard? If it really matters I suppose I can try.

Also I wanted to attach a picture with the light next to my 18650 light, but I guess you have to link them? Not sure where to link to. I'm such a forum noob.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. So anybody who might want to test a 14500 in an H53 is in uncharted territory. It might work, but not well enough that Zebralight is willing to call it a supported power source, or it could fry the light.

You need to host the image you want to share somewhere else, like on Flickr or on imgur. Then you can link to the image by pasting the URL, or embed it. Some forums offer the ability to upload images directly to the forum, but Candlepowerforums isn't able to do that, I presume due to the bandwidth and server capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by LightSci View Post
    No i was basing my knowledge off of the s52. I was assuming (bad move/sorry) that the support was the same.

ZebraLight got back to me and said the light can't buck that much voltage.

So either it'll not run at all, or it will and put out 500 Lumens, lol. The question is though, let's say it runs, does it really matter if you know you are over driving your led? Would anyone choose to push the light that hard? If it really matters I suppose I can try.

Also I wanted to attach a picture with the light next to my 18650 light, but I guess you have to link them? Not sure where to link to. I'm such a forum noob.
    I'd suggest not to put 14500 into your shiny new light, especially when ZL has already told you that it's not designed to handle the voltage. Your warranty is at risk if you do so.

I use abload.de to upload and link photos. The site is in German but it's pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. So anybody who might want to test a 14500 in an H53 is in uncharted territory. It might work, but not well enough that Zebralight is willing to call it a supported power source, or it could fry the light.

You need to host the image you want to share somewhere else, like on Flickr or on imgur. Then you can link to the image by pasting the URL, or embed it. Some forums offer the ability to upload images directly to the forum, but Candlepowerforums isn't able to do that, I presume due to the bandwidth and server capacity.
    Awesome thanks. Yes that's what I believe. If it works I don't think it matters because no flashaholic is going to be at ease when running it like that. I have big lights for big output.

I like AA for its charm. Safe batteries, lower voltage so not huge output which gives decent runtime, a good bug out option due to standard batteries, etc.

I have been enjoying it tremendously. It's a different thing. The mini mkii is huge output in a tiny form factor. That's cool, but this light seems honest and great.

Thanks I'll check out imgur. Never knew what it was really for.

Quote Originally Posted by TCY View Post
    I'd suggest not to put 14500 into your shiny new light, especially when ZL has already told you that it's not designed to handle the voltage. Your warranty is at risk if you do so.

I use abload.de to upload and link photos. The site is in German but it's pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it.
    Thanks! I'll check it out.

I have some good news (for me at least) regarding the new ZL H53c and H53w as it pertains to white blaze identification on the Appalachian Trail.

Now that I have learned that the National Park System has estimated there are over 165000 white blazes over the 2189 miles of trail. I'm assuming* that's ALL of them, both ways. A quick calculation yields an average spacing of 140 feet. Now that's good news to me because I read earlier that the spacing is on average 200 feet. (That may have been a less accurate subjectively acquired ballpark figure). That's a change from 61 meters to 43 meters. That cuts my intensity requirement for the flashlight in half. There are sections through designated wilderness areas and National Parks where the blazes are less frequent, even 0.1 to 0.2 miles apart at times (160m-320m and that means I would need a heavy scope for that). Nothing I can do about that since such heavy items are grievous to bear while fastpacking. But for the most part, the blazes are supposed to be set up so that one can see the next one from the former. If some areas are spread out that wide, the spacing in places it is not that wide is even closer together than 140 feet. The Zebralight H53c can deliver easy identification intensity (4X above marginal needed intensity) at 170 feet (provided I either tunnel the light to eliminate foreground glare from spill or use a sighting tube against the eye to shield glare). The H53w, 174 feet. So even without lithium ion boost, the Zebralight can still work at finding blazes most of the time, except in places like national parks and wilderness areas where the blaze spacing is beyond the performance of any narrow beam compact flashlight. But I still need lamp redundancy in case my main lamp fails, and it would be better to have a narrow beam thrower for better throw and minimizing spill and foreground glare.

So this headlamp is a fine choice for my situation.

*Not a bad assumption since it is the worst case. Assuming 165,000 markers in one direction puts the average at 70 ft.
    Last edited by Genzod; 06-19-2017 at 11:57 AM.

I'm sitting on a wad of cash and It has Zebralight H53 written all over it. I'm only undecided over whether I'd be happier with the C or W tint. I haven't seen any photos yet of an H53c on a trail in a magically enchanted forest with amethyst rocks, green grass and lush old growth forest.

On the other hand, I've met with several naughty trolls.

It's the color thing really. I hate cool white tint in the forest on long trips and I think the W is enough to calm the light down some, but I'm afraid I might be unhappy with too much browning of the light in the C--just haven't seen anything in the context of a forested trail.

Anyone like to be the first to host images of the H53c dazzling the forest with its enchanted pixie dust?

Cuing the music now...

Last edited by Genzod; 07-09-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Gods natural tint

Quote Originally Posted by Offgridled View Post
    Gods natural tint
    Well, whaddya know...God's pocketing an H53c! Totally "righteous".

Here's a Reddit thread where an H53c owner is promoting a diffusion solution for his headlamp. He has comparison shots of the beams (at 56 lm), before and after and provides the source of his diffuser.

https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/...ottom-comments

Still no trail shots of the H53c? I guess everyone is going to stay inside and play with their lamp, then. Don't click it too much, you might go blind!

Quote Originally Posted by Genzod View Post

Here's a Reddit thread where an H53c owner is promoting a diffusion solution for his headlamp. He has comparison shots of the beams (at 56 lm), before and after and provides the source of his diffuser.

Don't click it too much, you might go blind!
    Overly bright or poorly shaped oncoming vehicle headlights are more likely to make me go blind tonight. : (

Outdoor scenery shots of the H53c now available here:

http://www.torch.pl/forum/index.php?...0607;topicseen

A purchase has been made. Was it H53w or H53c? Holy headlamps, Batman! Will the Joker ever reveal his hand? Tune in next week Bat-fans, same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel!

That should stun some of you on this board who thought that would never happen. It should stun the owner of Zebralight, whose incompetent clerk didn't deter me from acting in my own best self interest.

Last edited by Genzod; 07-21-2017 at 10:20 PM.

I'm going to venture to guess you went with the H53w for high output at medium CRI vs medium output at high CRI, but it's a tough call either way!

It's a really great headlamp (best in the market?), but I wish Zebralight went more into runtime than output. For me 40-50lm is optimum for working stuff (that's what I use my H600w mostly for), so for me 50lm mode would be better than 65lm - You could squeeze some extra runtime, with AA that's nice. Also - H52 could operate on 14500, H53 cannot. Not a very big drawback for me, but noticeable. Still - combination of Zebra's quality and UI, high CRI, flood version avability and compact size makes it almost my holy grail.

Quote Originally Posted by TCY View Post
    Don't forget that ZL introduces the new user programmable UI so you can have a UI completely tailored to your needs.
    Nice pics TCY! I have seen you mention about the new user programmable UI in many older posts but after looking at Zebralights specs this doesn't seem any different than say the H52 which also had user programmable L2,M2 and H2 modes. All of my Mark2 or Mark 3 H600 series have this. Nothing new at all, unless they finally allowed users to program the L1, M1 and H1 modes which I doubt they have.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213 LastLast