Foxfury Scout        
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213

Thread: New H53c AA Headlamp Neutral White High CRI!

Default Re: New H53c AA Headlamp Neutral White High CRI!

The latest Zebralights (Sc5c II and h53c) have 2 user programmable groups. The UI is the same but each of the 6 preset levels can be customized to any of the available levels.

Note that single click does a preflash to "L" level before going to "H". So reversing low and high (like I tried to do) does not work well.

So in theory you could have:

H1 30 lumens H2 12 lumens
    M1 4.1 lumens M2 1.2 lumens
    L1 .31 lumens L2 .07 lumens

If so I'll be ordering shortly! This would be an answer to the problem I have always had as I strictly use lower modes and its a shame that older models made you decide to pick one of 3 subgroup levels when I'd prefer to use all of them in place of the pre determined levels ZL had set.

So the difference between G6 and G7 are they are just separate groupings the user programs? Do all settings stay set when going from G6 to G7 and then back to G5 or does that do a factory reset every time?

So if I program G6 to the levels I posted above, do I need to click 6 times every time I start my light to get into this mode or will it remember this mode until I decide to change to another mode?

Note: I downloaded the user manual for the H53W and it did not mention these questions I am asking.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon of Light View Post

Yes you can program it like that.

So the difference between G6 and G7 are they are just separate groupings the user programs? Do all settings stay set when going from G6 to G7 and then back to G5 or does that do a factory reset every time?
    So if I program G6 to the levels I posted above, do I need to click 6 times every time I start my light to get into this mode or will it remember this mode until I decide to change to another mode?
    No you don't have to go into G6 each time. Once your in a mode group you are there until you switch to another. It's so easy to switch to another group at anytime that you can setup G5 for general use, and G6 and G7 for specialized uses like your programming above.

If so I'll be ordering shortly! This would be an answer to the problem I have always had as I strictly use lower modes and its a shame that older models made you decide to pick one of 3 subgroup levels when I'd prefer to use all of them in place of the pre determined levels ZL had set.

Note: I downloaded the user manual for the H53W and it did not mention these questions I am asking.
    You can set all the modes to .07 if you wish so lol. G6 and G7 are two separate mode groups which you can store different settings for quick config. It remembers every mode you set even after battery swap. Once a mode group is selected, it stays there until the light is told otherwise. Based on your description the new UI satisfy your needs perfectly.

I took comparison photos for Genzod over a week ago but whenever I see those dozens of pics waiting to be labelled and uploaded I just become overly lazy. Procrastination is my arch enemy..

Always thought the AA headlamp, out of the holder, would make a great EDC, when the clip is installed at the head end, making it a mini right angle light that you could clip onto your collar, pocket, waist, loops or straps on vests or backpacks, etc.. However, I just noticed that the new H53 series has done away with the clip groove at the head end, so the clip is no longer reversible. Ugh! I hate it when useful features are lost at the same time improvements are made. This never dying game of compromise with flashlights continues.
    You and others like you might be the reason lights aren't (even) better made. People buying new flashlights like people devoutly buying the next generation of smart phones, are they pushing innovation or just consumption? Wider head for even more throw. Wow. That's new.

Quote Originally Posted by TCY View Post
    I took comparison photos for Genzod over a week ago but whenever I see those dozens of pics waiting to be labelled and uploaded I just become overly lazy. Procrastination is my arch enemy..
    Batman has a new arch enemy in Gotham City!
    General Zod: "So this is planet Houston." Superman II (1980)

Quote Originally Posted by scs View Post
    Always thought the AA headlamp, out of the holder, would make a great EDC, when the clip is installed at the head end, making it a mini right angle light that you could clip onto your collar, pocket, waist, loops or straps on vests or backpacks, etc.. However, I just noticed that the new H53 series has done away with the clip groove at the head end, so the clip is no longer reversible. Ugh! I hate it when useful features are lost at the same time improvements are made. This never dying game of compromise with flashlights continues.
    Yes, but you can't deny that when you wear the headlamp in its silicone holder, those luscious, anodized aluminum curves make you look...

More like a dork. I'm disappointed to say the loss of the groove is enough reason for me to pass on it.
    Flashaholism has definitely been more of a waiting hobby for me than the buying one for most.
    You and others like you might be the reason lights aren't (even) better made. People buying new flashlights like people devoutly buying the next generation of smart phones, are they pushing innovation or just consumption? Wider head for even more throw. Wow. That's new.

I read through 300+ posts yesterday starting with post #1. Did I read that the clip now come pre-installed on the light and there is no way to remove the clip without scraping off the anodizing?

I read through 300+ posts yesterday starting with post #1. Did I read that the clip now come pre-installed on the light and there is no way to remove the clip without scraping off the anodizing?
    Yes and no. I took the clip off and put it back on a couple of times and the ano was fine.

Someone in this thread did say that. Interestingly, and to my relief, my ZL came without the clip pre-attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Genzod View Post
    Someone in this thread did say that. Interestingly, and to my relief, my ZL came without the clip pre-attached.
    How are you liking yours?

Mine was scratched/scraped. Taking clip off took a nice scrape off the side. I returned it and requested my replacement not have the clip attached. Looks like someone took it off (can see minor scuffs where it was attached. But no damage to the anodizing.

When I ordered mine I requested for them to not have it pre installed due to it possibly scratching the anodizing. Also asked if they swap out the black silicone holder for Glow in the Dark holder. I prefer the GITD holders so it is easy to locate when it gets dark.

Oh. Didn't know you could do that. Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Mine was scratched/scraped. Taking clip off took a nice scrape off the side. I returned it and requested my replacement not have the clip attached. Looks like someone took it off (can see minor scuffs where it was attached. But no damage to the anodizing.
    That's the problem with ZL's generous return policy. You got someone else's seconds, and now someone else will get yours, and so on. And you have to pay return shipping right?

Yeah been doing this for years. All of my Zebralights I get with the GITD holder. I must have over 15 ZL headlamps and all of them have GITD that I had Zebralight substitute for the black ones.

Default New H53c AA Headlamp Neutral White High CRI!

Quote Originally Posted by scs View Post
    That's the problem with ZL's generous return policy. You got someone else's seconds, and now someone else will get yours, and so on. And you have to pay return shipping right?
    Well. I thought mine was first batch. It did almost look like a second. Minor dings and scratches. Minor but down to bare metal. Second one was better.

I.managed to convince them to cover most of the shipping.

How are you liking yours?
    I wouldn't know, as I had to return it for an exchange and don't have it.
    Last edited by Genzod; 08-10-2017 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Genzod View Post
    I wouldn't know, as I had to return it for an exchange and don't have it.
    I can only guess what happened to the bad apple that you sent back to ZL but I kinda know the feeling. Back in early 2016 ZL announced the SC600Fd plus which me and other fellow CPFers thought it would be the holy grail of EDC lights with the high CRI, 1500lm output and 5000K neutral tint. I waited until it was the end of September to finally get my hands on one and the tint was horrible. I still remember that bitter taste when you have been anxiously waiting for something that is suppose to be glorious for almost a whole year and it turn out to be rotten. Luckily ZL has a good return policy and their staff took care of me very well.

I hope the replacement light you are about to receive is good, ZL lights are really something you don't want to miss out when one is stepping into the flashaholic territory.
    Last edited by TCY; 08-09-2017 at 11:48 PM.

Got my H53FW a few days ago. I like the design actually, seems slimmer than the H52 and maybe even lighter? I asked for the GITD silicone holder but they sent the black one so I emailed them about it and hope they can take care of that. I was going to use one from my H52 or H501 but the straps aren't in the same location as the new grooves on the body of the H53.

The manual was a generic manual that looks like it was the same as the one from the H52 as it doesn't even mention the G5,G6 or G7 modes or how to program them. I did see the instructions on the Zebralight site itself, but weirdly not in the PDF manual for the H53. I managed to program it to my preference but not without glitches or bugs in the firmware. I got to G6 or G7 fine. But unless I am doing something wrong when I double click 6 times and let go the light turns off.

So basically to get to program mode it is hit or miss and I just keep double clicking until I see the levels changing and hope the light doesn't turn off (it will more than 50% of the time). The old way of programming the light was you had to be in one of the three main levels and then double click 6 times to program L2,M2 or H2. So I assume now you need to specifically go to L1 and double click 6 times, L2 and double click 6 times etc. etc. Problem is sometimes I will test it after I program it and light turns off and L1 will match M2 even though I programmed them differently (I basically triple click once in programming mode to get to lowest level and start at L2 and then just count each level after that after getting into whatever mode I am programming) In my case I just used the lowest 6 levels for all my settings. (H1-12, H2-4, M1-1.2, M2-.3, L1-.06, L2-.01) I notice this problem when once the light it off I just press and hold to cycle through the 3 main modes and I will get low medium medium. It skips high. When it is a second after what the high should be I double click and I get the H1 setting and if I turn off the light it will cycle normally. I tested this by turning on L2 and turning off ,M2 and turning off,H2 and turning off so it should cycle L2-.01.... M2-.3.... H2-4... By not sure why the glitch happens. Anyone else have irregularities with the programming?

I can only guess what happened to the bad apple that you sent back to ZL but I kinda know the feeling. ... Luckily ZL has a good return policy and their staff took care of me very well.

I hope the replacement light you are about to receive is good, ZL lights are really something you don't want to miss out when one is stepping into the flashaholic territory.
    I received my replacement yesterday--that's about 3 days after the backorder was restocked, which is why the reorder took so long. Even so, it was still within the 2 week promised fulfillment schedule for an exchange. They got it out to me as fast as humanly possible. I'm still a little disappointed I had to pay an extra $5.50 and experience the delay, but sch*tt happens. I'm just glad they had a 30 day no questions asked policy, even though I think my return was warranty due to workmanship.

After two shipments, it is apparent ZL no longer ships the lamp with clip attached. It's clear they pay attention to their customer complaints, so that's good. Scratching the virgin lamp for the first time is our job.

Everything appears to be fine with the condition this time. I asked ZL to check the lamp before sending and it appears they did--couldn't ask for it to be more perfect. I haven't yet checked it for programming or run with it yet, but I will later tonight. Hopefully I will get some beams shots as well and post those. Seeing I ultimately decided on the H53w, I'll have to post those in another thread.
    Last edited by Genzod; 08-11-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    I'm going to venture to guess you went with the H53w for high output at medium CRI vs medium output at high CRI, but it's a tough call either way!
    Nice call. I did get the H53w. The H53c is nice color-wise and having a warm 4000k, but 4500K neutral is a nice enough tint to prevent cool white psychosis on the trail. Much more important I have higher outputs for footing in technical trail situations, but I'll still have a satisfying experience with the greens and browns of the trail at night. I'll probably run with 65, 122 and 198 lm and that is better than 56, 106 and 171 lm, a measured difference of about 16% and a perceived difference of about 8%.

Congrats, another story we can share about how ZL getting it right (the second time).

I'll be munching popcorns and wait for those sweet beamshots

I just bought Zebra H53FC
    http://www.zebralight.com/H53Fc-AA-H...CRI_p_195.html
    The tint like the incandescent lamp. I am very plesae with HI CRI 93-95. The beam good for hiking but I think with the close rangge, H502c -L2 is the best!

Sorry double posts

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213