Acebeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

I think the UI can be improved with shortcuts to flood and throw vs scrolling through modes
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlightís potential, not sure where it got itís popularity. - DB Customs

So I understand that the first 3 levels of output will be flood/mule only at 1/15/70 lumens... What is unclear is that if the 4th and 5th levels are 165/435 lumens of flood/reflector combo, does that mean the flood stays at 70 lumens? Meaning setting 4 is 70 lumens flood and 95 lumens of "high beam"? Or will the flood beam get brighter than 70 lumens in setting 4 and 5.

This light is absolutely begging for user programmable output levels. The combinations are virtually limitless if for each output level the user could choose to use either the flood, the reflector, or both, and set the output of each individually...

I'm dreaming a bit here. But I feel the lights concept, design, and execution are great. I love that more "standard" sized batteries are being embraced by Muyshondt. I honestly feel the greatest limitation is the pre-set brightness intensities and run times...

The flood stays on high, 70lm, when level 4 and 5 are chosen.

Bumping this thread, cannot wait to receive my Beagle!

Any new info or general thoughts on this light? Can't wait for mine!
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Aaron Tippin hit the nail on the head when he did People Like Us.. in saying that I personally have no need for the Beagle. The size is great. The flood is debatable. Throw and runtime kills it for me and so I ll stick to my Fliegers. A review will be coming when I get em over to the U.K. However in saying that it truly is a gorgeous design.
    Steve Bryant

Default Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

Visible PWM on mode 4 of my prototype unit:

Hopefully this gets addressed for the production units
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlightís potential, not sure where it got itís popularity. - DB Customs

Only on mode 4?

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Only on mode 4?
    Correct. I imagine this means it's on the center emitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    Correct. I imagine this means it's on the center emitter.
    That's what I was thinking too.

So the flood stays on high, 70lm for level 4 and 5. Does that mean level 4 will have 70 lumens flood and 165 lumens throw for a total of 235lm? Or, does that mean 70 flood and 95 throw?

Is the flood exactly like a mule or very similar? On the U.I. is there mode memory or will it always start in 1 lumen? Any rough guess on throw distance?

I emailed in to Muyshondt regarding the flicker, they said there is no PWM on any mode and the perceived flicker is a result of circuit noise. They've been aware of the issue and production units will not have PWM or flicker. Great news!

LogicalBear: Flood ring is similar to a mule but not exactly. Personally I don't like mules and sold my McGizimo Mule, I love the Beagle flood pattern.

Re throw, I didn't take any measurements yet but I plan on. Judging by eye, it's not as throwy as expected.

I emailed in to Muyshondt regarding the flicker, they said there is no PWM on any mode and the perceived flicker is a result of circuit noise. They've been aware of the issue and production units will not have PWM or flicker. Great news!

LogicalBear: Flood ring is similar to a mule but not exactly. Personally I don't like mules and sold my McGizimo Mule, I love the Beagle flood pattern.

Re throw, I didn't take any measurements yet but I plan on. Judging by eye, it's not as throwy as expected.
    Very pleased to hear that!!!

Sounds good. I think I'm going to pull the trigger. What finish do you have? I was leaning towards the relic copper. On the measurements he lists the titanium and copper as the same grams/ounces. Are the weights really the same between both the titanium and copper you think? I agree about the UI. I think at least something like a triple click for high and maybe a quadruple click for some sort of voltage/battery check would be awesome. Or how about some sort of variation like, double click for high flood, triple click for high flood + throw?

I went turned Ti, the copper has to be heavier. Turned Ti is gorgeous, check out Enrique's instagram pic from yesterday.

I emailed in to Muyshondt regarding the flicker, they said there is no PWM on any mode and the perceived flicker is a result of circuit noise.
    Thank you for taking the time to share what you learn.

Yes, Constant Current Circuit Noise or Ripple is not PWM, its another form of fluctuating brightness. Zebras also use Constant Current with Circuit Noise Ripple, so do EagleTac and Manker.

We can no longer rely on the term NoPWM to mean flat regulated output. In fact, runtime graphs will often reveal wavy output, that a naive user will be unaware of. Our eyes are not that sensitive to brightness changes.

IF the production units do not have circuit noise that would be great to hear. Or you can adopt the popular refrain, "I don't notice in actual use" :-)

I started a thread to collect some of the lights that have Ripple
    Its not PWM its Constant Current Circuit Noise Ripple
    Last edited by jon_slider; 08-01-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Party Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

I grabbed a polished copper one. My only concern is that it might be a little heavy for EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicalBeard View Post
    I grabbed a polished copper one. My only concern is that it might be a little heavy for EDC.
    copper is definitely heavy, but you just gotta love how it patina's quickly and... uniquely.
    Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

I have a Foursevens Atom AO that doesn't have a parabolic reflector. Is that the same as a mule?
    Last edited by LogicalBeard; 08-04-2017 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicalBeard View Post
    I have a Foursevens Atom AO that doesn't have a parabolic reflector. Is that the same as a mule?
    It depends, I believe some of the Atoms have an aspherical lens, in which cash I wouldn't consider it to be a mule.

A mule is simply flashlight without a reflector, the McGizmo Mule being the archetype. The Beagle differs in that the mule emitters are right up against the lens, as opposed to most mules where's there is a short distance between lens and LED. I found the difference to be the perimeter of the beam, on a mule the pattern shows up as a very flat, perfectly round circle, the Beagle flood is more gradual and no sharp distinction.

I'm writing a Beagle review, have to take some beamshots and measurement, I'll let you know when it's complete.

It depends, I believe some of the Atoms have an aspherical lens, in which cash I wouldn't consider it to be a mule.

A mule is simply flashlight without a reflector, the McGizmo Mule being the archetype. The Beagle differs in that the mule emitters are right up against the lens, as opposed to most mules where's there is a short distance between lens and LED. I found the difference to be the perimeter of the beam, on a mule the pattern shows up as a very flat, perfectly round circle, the Beagle flood is more gradual and no sharp distinction.

I'm writing a Beagle review, have to take some beamshots and measurement, I'll let you know when it's complete.
    That's exactly what I was wondering. I don't think you could have described it better. I'm looking forward to your review!!

I'm writing a Beagle review, have to take some beamshots and measurement, I'll let you know when it's complete.[/QUOTE]

Hey Ozy, any status update to report on throw numbers or the review? I tried to get an IPx rating out of them along with if they were using Nichia or Cree emitters to no avail. Any guesses on either one of those subjects?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12