NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 216

Thread: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

  1. #181
    Flashaholic* DellSuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,742

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    So is there a way to remove the head of a production light? I would assume to heat it up to soften the adhesive before pushing it out?

  2. #182

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by DellSuperman View Post
    So is there a way to remove the head of a production light? I would assume to heat it up to soften the adhesive before pushing it out?

    The Bezel is threaded, once you remove that the pill slips out
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlightís potential, not sure where it got itís popularity. - DB Customs

  3. #183

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Note for the following: Doing literally anything to a Muyshondt light but changing the battery, voids the warranty and service.

    I have some photos of the clip as well as the engine in the Beagle if you like.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/IfybhEoKnhoMCEgy1



    There wasn't any glue that I could see, but it was quite tight and has very little surface to grip. I used my vise with rubber jaws I use for soldering to get a firm grip and loosen the inner bezel ring enough to twist it out with my fingers. Some leather lined channel locks might work too, but again surface area is problematic.
    The production design itself is a smooth, thermal paste covered, pill which houses the driver and main LED. There is also a second set of wires coming from the pill that runs through the reflector and into the underside of the board housing the flood LEDs. The reflector itself has a set screw of sorts that indexes with the bezel ring and a slot in the pill to prevent the assembly from turning freely apart. There is of course a centering ring around the LED. Given the board shape the easiest thing to do was to reflow onto the stock board, but others could be modified to fit. Easiest method of re-assembly is to assemble the engine stack into the bezel right-side up, and then carefully flip the stack upside down and set the body down on top for re-assembly.

    It is unfortunate that the production Beagles use a smooth pill instead of threaded pill of the prototypes which was a thermally superior design. However, the current levels employed shouldn't be sufficient to make the difference notable, just cheaper to produce, and probably easier to assemble.

  4. #184

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    If the pill isn't threaded into place, can that give the light a greater chance of damage or issues from being dropped/ exposed to shock/ vibration?

  5. #185

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    I don't think so, the stack is pretty well compressed by the bezel ring.

  6. #186

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thetasigma View Post
    Note for the following: Doing literally anything to a Muyshondt light but changing the battery, voids the warranty and service.

    I have some photos of the clip as well as the engine in the Beagle if you like.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/IfybhEoKnhoMCEgy1



    There wasn't any glue that I could see, but it was quite tight and has very little surface to grip. I used my vise with rubber jaws I use for soldering to get a firm grip and loosen the inner bezel ring enough to twist it out with my fingers. Some leather lined channel locks might work too, but again surface area is problematic.
    The production design itself is a smooth, thermal paste covered, pill which houses the driver and main LED. There is also a second set of wires coming from the pill that runs through the reflector and into the underside of the board housing the flood LEDs. The reflector itself has a set screw of sorts that indexes with the bezel ring and a slot in the pill to prevent the assembly from turning freely apart. There is of course a centering ring around the LED. Given the board shape the easiest thing to do was to reflow onto the stock board, but others could be modified to fit. Easiest method of re-assembly is to assemble the engine stack into the bezel right-side up, and then carefully flip the stack upside down and set the body down on top for re-assembly.

    It is unfortunate that the production Beagles use a smooth pill instead of threaded pill of the prototypes which was a thermally superior design. However, the current levels employed shouldn't be sufficient to make the difference notable, just cheaper to produce, and probably easier to assemble.



    Those pictures and info are great. What type of led is the center emitter and flood emitters? On the pill, is it really polished and gold plated? Why does a threaded pill make for a thermally superior design? Is it because it creates a tighter fit? I would think a press fit would have more points of contact. Lastly, the tail cap o-rings design seems unusual to me in that the seal is metal to metal? What do you make of this design and do you think the light is worthy of an ipx-7 or 8 rating?

  7. #187

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    I've owned a Beagle for for maybe 6 months and I've got to say that I absolutely love it.

    One of my favorite things is that the Muyshondt 18350 cell can be removed and replaced with a CR123 on the go (it comes with a tube for proper fitment).

    Probably my favorite EDC light to date.

  8. #188

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by IDprints View Post
    I've owned a Beagle for for maybe 6 months and I've got to say that I absolutely love it.

    One of my favorite things is that the Muyshondt 18350 cell can be removed and replaced with a CR123 on the go (it comes with a tube for proper fitment).

    Probably my favorite EDC light to date.

    So you must have gotten a prototype then. This is bar none my favorite EDC light.

    I'm surprised there isn't more buzz around this light. What do you make of that? Too expensive? People prefer more hot-rod/programable lights like the BOSS?

    My perfect solution was getting a KeepPower 1200mAh protected battery. When I messed around with a CR123 battery to check it out, I found I didn't have any rattle or issue and didn't need the tube.

  9. #189

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by LogicalBeard View Post
    So you must have gotten a prototype then. This is bar none my favorite EDC light.

    I'm surprised there isn't more buzz around this light. What do you make of that? Too expensive? People prefer more hot-rod/programable lights like the BOSS?
    Price, warranty, customer service, not a novelty barn burner, etc...

  10. #190

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by LogicalBeard View Post
    So you must have gotten a prototype then. This is bar none my favorite EDC light.

    I'm surprised there isn't more buzz around this light. What do you make of that? Too expensive? People prefer more hot-rod/programable lights like the BOSS?

    My perfect solution was getting a KeepPower 1200mAh protected battery. When I messed around with a CR123 battery to check it out, I found I didn't have any rattle or issue and didn't need the tube.
    I have a prototype and like it a lot, but hardly touched it since getting a BOSS late December. The main reasons are:

    1. I love the BOSS Amber LED - I was a big fan of the SF filters and Amber is a lovely colour (no need to get an Aviator now)

    2. My BOSS is aluminium and I love the low weight. Titanium offers no real benefit to me

    3. The tail of the BOSS makes it lovely to hold. The tube shape of the Beagle is a let down. The knurling is fantastic but it is at the wrong end

    4. The Beagle is hard to attach a lanyard too. The hole in the BOSS clip allows one to be threaded through easily.

    I like the Beagle but love the BOSS. Appreciate not everyone can buy multiple torches to spend a decent amount of time with though.

  11. #191

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I have a prototype and like it a lot, but hardly touched it since getting a BOSS late December. The main reasons are:

    1. I love the BOSS Amber LED - I was a big fan of the SF filters and Amber is a lovely colour (no need to get an Aviator now)

    2. My BOSS is aluminium and I love the low weight. Titanium offers no real benefit to me

    3. The tail of the BOSS makes it lovely to hold. The tube shape of the Beagle is a let down. The knurling is fantastic but it is at the wrong end

    4. The Beagle is hard to attach a lanyard too. The hole in the BOSS clip allows one to be threaded through easily.

    I like the Beagle but love the BOSS. Appreciate not everyone can buy multiple torches to spend a decent amount of time with though.


    I really like the BOSS lights but I just can't make a compelling argument to myself that the beam pattern or tint is better for me.

    I prefer not have an amber mode. I would rather have the one lumen super floody Hi CRI better; at least I think I do.

    I'm assuming the titanium weight vs aluminum would be negligible; but maybe not. I actually EDC the copper beagle

    Knurling is essentially for looks on any flashlight if you ask me. That notwithstanding, I have zero issues with the beagle being slippery. I have to assume the BOSS does have better ergonomics though. But when I cigar hold lights, I don't choke up on the tail end. As a result, the cylinder shape of the beagle works great for me.

    When it comes to a lanyard, I never use one on any light so that is a non issue for me.

    Everyone I've seen on the forums that have both a beagle and a BOSS seem to prefer the BOSS. My theory is that they use their light for midrange distances a fair bit. Is this true in your case? 99% of my EDC flashlight usage is under 10 feet and I don't think the BOSS wins in that contest: at least if the only criteria we are using is beam pattern. But then again, I suppose if you don't like the ergos, you'd rather have an amber tint, and you like a lanyard, having those 3 things versus not would be huge.

    Interested in your thoughts.

  12. #192

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by LogicalBeard View Post
    I really like the BOSS lights but I just can't make a compelling argument to myself that the beam pattern or tint is better for me.
    Just tried them both outside (Beagle modes 1-3 only as my unit has an issue currently). Considering that the BOSS has no reflector, it has much more of a hot spot than the Beagle ring does. The Beagle is a lovely pattern, and a nicer tint (my BOSS is the XP-L).

    I prefer not have an amber mode. I would rather have the one lumen super floody Hi CRI better; at least I think I do.
    If I programmed the BOSS I could replicate the 1 lumen mode. I just prefer the Amber mode - I have used SureFire filters for years so nice to have it integral

    I'm assuming the titanium weight vs aluminum would be negligible; but maybe not. I actually EDC the copper beagle
    Just weighed them with battery in. 79g BOSS and 126g Beagle. The copper Beagle must be a pocket anchor! I forget I am carrying the BOSS, which is nice.

    Knurling is essentially for looks on any flashlight if you ask me. That notwithstanding, I have zero issues with the beagle being slippery. I have to assume the BOSS does have better ergonomics though. But when I cigar hold lights, I don't choke up on the tail end. As a result, the cylinder shape of the beagle works great for me.
    I like having my thumb and forefinger close to the head. That is where the Beagle would benefit from the knurling in my opinion. The BOSS feels like a water smoothed pebble, certainly more tactile. I Ďmouth holdí a lot and find the flared base helps holding in my lips - the Haiku is similar.

    When it comes to a lanyard, I never use one on any light so that is a non issue for me.
    My main use is to attach a bead, either a tritium vial or GiTD one. The hole in the BOSS clip also fits a tripod (like the Haiku, again) which I do use camping or in the garage. Speaking of GiTD, the BOSS has an o ring which glows. How do I fit tritium or GiTD to the Beagle? Wrapping o rings around the tube body works but is a kludge. For a high end torch this is an odd omission

    Everyone I've seen on the forums that have both a beagle and a BOSS seem to prefer the BOSS. My theory is that they use their light for midrange distances a fair bit. Is this true in your case? Yes. Running around fields and walking to and from my car.

    99% of my EDC flashlight usage is under 10 feet and I don't think the BOSS wins in that contest: at least if the only criteria we are using is beam pattern.
    For short range a mule is a great pattern so the Beagle probably does win here. The BOSS would let me set a higher or lower vesting for close range use, if I want to go there. I hoped the zbeagle would be a combined smile adn a Haiku,u but it lacks throw. All IMO of course

    But then again, I suppose if you don't like the ergos, you'd rather have an amber tint, and you like a lanyard, having those 3 things versus not would be huge.
    If I only had a Beagle, Iíd be happy with it. It is not a bad torch, I just prefer others. I should add that the BOSS sells the bodies quite cheaply (IMO) and being able to go from EDC 18350 to hard use 18650 is very handy.

    Interested in your thoughts.
    I still think the SPY has the best ergos and control method than either the BOSS or the Beagle.

  13. #193

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Iím surprised that with the comments about cigar holds, nobody else seems to think that the beagles knurling seems in the perfect spot for making a cigar hold feel very stable.

    My only gripe about the Spyís ergos is that when holding the light at eye level in an overhand position, I have a very difficult time finding a comfortable way to adjust the brightness with the hand holding the light...

  14. #194

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Iím surprised that with the comments about cigar holds, nobody else seems to think that the beagles knurling seems in the perfect spot for making a cigar hold feel very stable.

    My only gripe about the Spyís ergos is that when holding the light at eye level in an overhand position, I have a very difficult time finding a comfortable way to adjust the brightness with the hand holding the light...
    Trying to think, I donít think Iíve ever held my SPY in an overhand grip. Is this when holding a handgun too? Not something you commonly do in the UK.

    I like a flared end for a cigar grip. My Surefire E1 Outdoorsman - one of my oldest LED torches - is better for having the tail cap switched from the stock version to one with a noticeable rim (Z68). It helps lock it in place. Shame it is only available in black, it jars with the rest of the torch.

  15. #195
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    9,676

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Trying to think, I donít think Iíve ever held my SPY in an overhand grip....
    Interesting, that hadn't really occurred to me either, given its ergonomics in underhand use.

    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I like a flared end for a cigar grip. My Surefire E1 Outdoorsman - one of my oldest LED torches - is better for having the tail cap switched from the stock version to one with a noticeable rim (Z68). It helps lock it in place. Shame it is only available in black, it jars with the rest of the torch.
    How about an RPM E-series tail ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

  16. #196

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Interesting, that hadn't really occurred to me either, given its ergonomics in underhand use.



    How about an RPM E-series tail ?
    I tried last night and can adjust using ring or little finger but not ideal. As you say, the underhand grip suits the SPY so well that I just always use it that way

    Will have a look at RPM, not heard of them before. Thank you.

  17. #197

    Default Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    I pretty much use the spy underhand as well. But I notice that casts little shadows on the top of things I'm viewing because the light is coming from an angle lower than my eyes.
    Whenever I'm using the Beagle, Haiku, Alpha, 6P, or any other light with a tail clicky, I'm activating using my thumb and holding it at eye level.
    I prefer overhand in real world use...
    Last edited by InvisibleFrodo; 02-14-2018 at 10:43 AM.

  18. #198
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    9,676

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I tried last night and can adjust using ring or little finger but not ideal....
    I thought about trying that out, too

    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Will have a look at RPM, not heard of them before. Thank you.
    He makes these, in a variety of materials and finishes ...



    The Aleph McTC would be another option, but those are discontinued and tough to find for a while now ...

    Last edited by archimedes; 02-14-2018 at 08:33 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  19. #199

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    ^^^ they look nice, thank you.

  20. #200
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    9,676

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    ^^^ they look nice, thank you.
    Cheers, I hope you can find something that works well for you, in the finish you'd prefer.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  21. #201
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,641

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Dang Don, that little mule is nice! I need to cobble together something like that.

  22. #202
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    9,676

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Thanks buddy
    ... is the archimedes peak

  23. #203
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Posts
    6,391

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    At the risk of continuing the off topic chatter, I like the way you think, Arch... Some more Mule style...

    If you're new to CPF, please read this... (Just click the link...)
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ost-out-of-CPF

  24. #204
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    9,676

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    At the risk of continuing the off topic chatter, I like the way you think, Arch... Some more Mule style....
    Hahaha, nice !
    ... is the archimedes peak

  25. #205

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Iím surprised that with the comments about cigar holds, nobody else seems to think that the beagles knurling seems in the perfect spot for making a cigar hold feel very stable.

    My only gripe about the Spyís ergos is that when holding the light at eye level in an overhand position, I have a very difficult time finding a comfortable way to adjust the brightness with the hand holding the light...
    Hmmm maybe because I have the heavier copper? Or more likely because my cigar grip isnít on the tail. I hold it like a cigar but I choke up on the front end so that my index finger rests on the front knurling(right in front of the clip). Likewise, my ring finger rests on the front knurling as well, underneath. In fact, having zero knurling would probably not make any difference for this grip. Iíll have to post a picture when I get home.

  26. #206

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I still think the SPY has the best ergos and control method than either the BOSS or the Beagle.
    Beagle vs the BOSS-
    1.) If the Beagle was in the same form factor as the BOSS; Same weight and dimensions, would you still prefer the BOSS? And why?
    2.) So you use your BOSS/Beagle for mid to long distances?

  27. #207

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by LogicalBeard View Post
    Hmmm maybe because I have the heavier copper? Or more likely because my cigar grip isnít on the tail. I hold it like a cigar but I choke up on the front end so that my index finger rests on the front knurling(right in front of the clip). Likewise, my ring finger rests on the front knurling as well, underneath. In fact, having zero knurling would probably not make any difference for this grip. Iíll have to post a picture when I get home.
    Mine is copper as well. It's a tank.

  28. #208
    xdayv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,588

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    IMHO, can't compare the BOSS and the Beagle... they are bit different in my eyes. While I prefer the BOSS, the Beagle has a solid round built, minimalist and has also that retro feel. Both are nice, use both haha.
    Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

  29. #209

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    IMHO, can't compare the BOSS and the Beagle... they are bit different in my eyes. While I prefer the BOSS, the Beagle has a solid round built, minimalist and has also that retro feel. Both are nice, use both haha.
    In what type of situations do you prefer the BOSS? I think the only time I would prefer the boss is when I would need throw. However, since I donít need more throw than the Beagle has 99% of the time, I canít see the appeal for my situation. I have a dedicated thrower for when the occasion arises. Would you prefer the BOSS around the house or for things under 15 feet away?

  30. #210
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Posts
    6,391

    Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

    For me, Beagle indoors where tapping through a mode or two to get where I need to is no big deal. Big, soft flood. No blinding getting up in the middle of the night. BOSS 35 if I'm heading out and can preset a high level up front. Still has nice flood but has nice reach, too. Sometimes both since there's battery commonality and both can run primaries.
    If you're new to CPF, please read this... (Just click the link...)
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ost-out-of-CPF

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •