Klarus        
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

So is there a way to remove the head of a production light? I would assume to heat it up to soften the adhesive before pushing it out?

Quote Originally Posted by DellSuperman View Post
    So is there a way to remove the head of a production light? I would assume to heat it up to soften the adhesive before pushing it out?

The Bezel is threaded, once you remove that the pill slips out
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlight’s potential, not sure where it got it’s popularity. - DB Customs

Note for the following: Doing literally anything to a Muyshondt light but changing the battery, voids the warranty and service.

I have some photos of the clip as well as the engine in the Beagle if you like.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/IfybhEoKnhoMCEgy1

There wasn't any glue that I could see, but it was quite tight and has very little surface to grip. I used my vise with rubber jaws I use for soldering to get a firm grip and loosen the inner bezel ring enough to twist it out with my fingers. Some leather lined channel locks might work too, but again surface area is problematic.
    The production design itself is a smooth, thermal paste covered, pill which houses the driver and main LED. There is also a second set of wires coming from the pill that runs through the reflector and into the underside of the board housing the flood LEDs. The reflector itself has a set screw of sorts that indexes with the bezel ring and a slot in the pill to prevent the assembly from turning freely apart. There is of course a centering ring around the LED. Given the board shape the easiest thing to do was to reflow onto the stock board, but others could be modified to fit. Easiest method of re-assembly is to assemble the engine stack into the bezel right-side up, and then carefully flip the stack upside down and set the body down on top for re-assembly.

It is unfortunate that the production Beagles use a smooth pill instead of threaded pill of the prototypes which was a thermally superior design. However, the current levels employed shouldn't be sufficient to make the difference notable, just cheaper to produce, and probably easier to assemble.

If the pill isn't threaded into place, can that give the light a greater chance of damage or issues from being dropped/ exposed to shock/ vibration?

I don't think so, the stack is pretty well compressed by the bezel ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetasigma View Post
    Note for the following: Doing literally anything to a Muyshondt light but changing the battery, voids the warranty and service.

I have some photos of the clip as well as the engine in the Beagle if you like.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/IfybhEoKnhoMCEgy1

There wasn't any glue that I could see, but it was quite tight and has very little surface to grip. I used my vise with rubber jaws I use for soldering to get a firm grip and loosen the inner bezel ring enough to twist it out with my fingers. Some leather lined channel locks might work too, but again surface area is problematic.
    The production design itself is a smooth, thermal paste covered, pill which houses the driver and main LED. There is also a second set of wires coming from the pill that runs through the reflector and into the underside of the board housing the flood LEDs. The reflector itself has a set screw of sorts that indexes with the bezel ring and a slot in the pill to prevent the assembly from turning freely apart. There is of course a centering ring around the LED. Given the board shape the easiest thing to do was to reflow onto the stock board, but others could be modified to fit. Easiest method of re-assembly is to assemble the engine stack into the bezel right-side up, and then carefully flip the stack upside down and set the body down on top for re-assembly.

It is unfortunate that the production Beagles use a smooth pill instead of threaded pill of the prototypes which was a thermally superior design. However, the current levels employed shouldn't be sufficient to make the difference notable, just cheaper to produce, and probably easier to assemble.

Those pictures and info are great. What type of led is the center emitter and flood emitters? On the pill, is it really polished and gold plated? Why does a threaded pill make for a thermally superior design? Is it because it creates a tighter fit? I would think a press fit would have more points of contact. Lastly, the tail cap o-rings design seems unusual to me in that the seal is metal to metal? What do you make of this design and do you think the light is worthy of an ipx-7 or 8 rating?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567