Klarus        
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

No guess on lux numbers, but it's a 75 yard light in my world. Anything past that and you'd need a Fleiger. Shallow reflector, not beating the heck out of the emitters with overdrive, it's meant as a mixed beam, up-close edc light in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    No guess on lux numbers, but it's a 75 yard light in my world. Anything past that and you'd need a Fleiger. Shallow reflector, not beating the heck out of the emitters with overdrive, it's meant as a mixed beam, up-close edc light in my opinion.

Very helpful. I think he made the right call on the floodier center beam. This way you get a light that is perfect for up close and mid distances without any compromises. Then one can switch to a dedicated thrower if the situation will need it.

Flashaholic

Default Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

Last edited by trojansteel; 11-04-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Battery question: On their proprietary 18350 battery it says not to discharge below 2.75 volts. Is this the resting voltage or voltage under load? The reason I ask is that Muyshondt representatives say that the Beagle falls out of regulation at 2.7 volts. So when the Beagle drops out of regulation, that means one has discharged the battery below Muyshondt's 2.75 recommendation. This doesn't seem right to me. What would be the point of that? It would make sense to make the regulation drop out at say 2.8. That way, the end user could be positive they didn't over discharge the battery past 2.75 if they turned it off immediately. Could someone shed some light on this for me?

Quote Originally Posted by LogicalBeard View Post
    Could someone shed some light on this for me?
    see:
    https://shop.muyshondt.net/products/18350-power-cell
    "They are unprotected lithium ion cells with an IMR chemistry cathode, meaning that extra caution must be utilized when operating any device with them, and they are not recommended for inexperienced users. (Read more about Lithium-Ion Safety Here - If in doubt, use lithium primary CR123A cells in your devices.)"
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-14-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Hey. Thanks for the reply. I think you have some good general advice. However, I'm unclear if you answered any of my questions. Specifically, the battery says not to go below 2.75 yet the light won't cut off until it gets to 2.7. I hypothesised that the 2.75 on the battery refers to resting voltage. What are your thoughts on this?

Hey. Thanks for the reply. I think you have some good general advice. However, I'm unclear if you answered any of my questions. Specifically, the battery says not to go below 2.75 yet the light won't cut off until it gets to 2.7. I hypothesised that the 2.75 on the battery refers to resting voltage. What are your thoughts on this?
    I am not familiar with that particular battery, beyond the statement on the wrapper that it is an IMR18350.

However, speaking generally, I would not be comfortable keeping any cell that has stayed below 3.0V for any significant duration, and do not intentionally discharge cells of this type below 3.5V .... In fact, I specifically try to avoid this type of overdischarge.
    ... is the archimedes peak

I frequently top my batteries off too. I like to keep them in the 40-80 range. When you reference 3.0, and 3.5, you are talking about resting voltage, right?

Yes, open circuit voltage (no load)

I hypothesised that the 2.75 on the battery refers to resting voltage.
    I agree
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-14-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    yes I agree it refers to resting voltage. The beagle accepts both Primary Lithium and Rechargeable LiIon, but has no built in LiIon protection.To me this suggests the Beagle can't tell a CR123 from a LiIon, which would be necessary if there was to be built in LiIon protection, like HDS has, and still retain the ability to run a CR123 down below 2.7v.I think I read recently that Zebralight has abandoned dual chemistry circuits, with built in protection, because they wanted to reduce the size of the electronics.. Like HDS, Zebras could detect whether the cell was Primary or LiIon, and enable or disable protection automatically.. (I hope I got that right)I wonder if there is a protected cell that fits the Beagle, as an option for those times when protection is a priority, for example when lending the light to granny, who might fall asleep while it is in candle mode :-) (probably safest to not lend out unprotected LiIon lights, maybe lend them loaded w non-LiIon instead)Other lights, like the Reylight Pineapples, are similar to the beagle in that they are dual chemistry, without built in protection.

No protection but the light falls out of regulation at 2.7 volts. They advertise that one can use protected 18350's. So when the light falls out of regulation at 2.7 volts, is that violating the warning on the 18350 battery that says not to discharge below 2.75 volts?
    Last edited by LogicalBeard; 11-13-2017 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Yes, open circuit voltage (no load)

Considering the warning label on the battery says to not discharge the battery below 2.75 volts. When the light falls out of regulation at 2.7 volts, does that mean I violated the warning label on the battery?

I have neither this particular flashlight, nor this particular battery, so I don't really have further info for you beyond what I've already posted ...

They advertise that one can use protected 18350's. So when the light falls out of regulation at 2.7 volts, is that violating the warning on the 18350 battery that says not to discharge below 2.75 volts?
    I suggest you contact Muyshondt directly.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-14-2017 at 01:28 PM.

I would not intentionally use a LiIon at 2.7v, so "falling out of regulation" at that voltage is not something I would be wanting to experience anyway.

If you get a protected LiIon, it also will not run down below 2.75, because protection will have kicked in, hopefully sooner (I do have some protected cells that shut off at 2.75v, but I think others shut off sooner)

"Falling out of regulation at 2.7v" is not relevant to the operation of LiIon, Imo it is in regards to how a Lithium Primary will behave, not a recommendation for how to use a LiIon.

We are just guessing here, I suggest you contact Muyshondt directly.

I searched for some protected 18350 batteries and the ones I found had a 2.5 voltage shutoff. The only reply I can get out of Muyshondt is on their FB group. The reply was, "When the Beagle falls out of power regulation, operating dimly and not providing full brightness, you should recharge or replace the batteries. The Beagle does not regulate below 2.7 volts." I will try and send them another email. It's like pulling teeth to get a straight answer out of them sometimes.

I have neither this particular flashlight, nor this particular battery, so I don't really have further info for you beyond what I've already posted ...
    If you did have the battery and light, what info would you be looking for? Since I have both, I could run some tests or read info from the battery or light that you would do if you had them.

If you did have the battery and light, what info would you be looking for? Since I have both, I could run some tests or read info from the battery or light that you would do if you had them.
    We are just guessing here, I suggest you contact Muyshondt directly.
    I don't care to speculate, but I do think you've been provided info that may be useful in making your own decisions.

If you want definitive guidance, I agree with Jon ... you should contact the manufacturer.

It's like pulling teeth
    Sorry for your pain.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-14-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Maybe do a test.. Do you have a light meter and a volt meter?

I have an unprotected 18350 IMR in one of my lights, that has no built in OverDischarge protection.

I wanted to know how low the voltage would be, when the light went noticeably dim (no high mode, no medium mode, and low mode dimmer than usual)

I ran the light on high mode, and used a voltmeter and a light meter, every 10 minutes.

I learned that my light will dim to about 1 lumen, below 2.8v (modes on a full LiIon charge are 5-50-200)
    that gave me confidence that I would notice the loss of the other modes, long before the cell went below 2.8...

In practice one of the things I also noticed is that in conditions where I would usually use medium mode, If the battery is run down, I find myself switching to high mode, because medium is too dim.. then I realize I have no high mode, and that I need to charge the battery. Sometimes I notice when High mode is too dim, but I don't use that mode as often..

Enjoy your Beagle!:-)

Nice. I have a voltmeter but no light meter. However, I trust their info that the light will fall out of regulation at 2.7 volts. What I really want to know is if at that exact moment it falls out of regulation, if that is below the 2.75 warning on the battery. Thanks for trying to help. I love the Beagle. I don't remember, do you have one?

I don't care to speculate, but I do think you've been provided info that may be useful in making your own decisions.

If you want definitive guidance, I agree with Jon ... you should contact the manufacturer.
    No worries. I thought you were implying that if you had the "particular flashlight" and battery, you would have further info. To be clear, I don't want anyone to speculate. What specific "info" are you referencing that I was provided that is useful in determining whether the proprietary battery is below the 2.75 volts warning label when the flashlight falls out of regulation? I have contacted the manufacturer a week ago with no response. Thanks for trying to help.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. You've got 10 or 11 posts on this page alone, and have received comments back from several members. If your light dims, take the cell out and recharge it. Or run primaries if you're that concerned or run protected cells. Or sell the light, and find one you're more comfortable using. Maybe Li-ions aren't for you. This is a small run light from a boutique maker, designed for enthusiasts. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but fully 2/3 of your posts here on CPF have been about this light...

At the end of the day, battery safety falls squarely in the lap of the end user. You and nobody else are responsible for the proper safety, storage, and use of unprotected cells. They're unprotected. There are plenty of hot rod lights that don't offer low voltage protection, it's a risk we all accept here, some use them and some don't.
    Last edited by scout24; 11-14-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. You've got 10 or 11 posts on this page alone, and have received comments back from several members. If your light dims, take the cell out and recharge it. Or run primaries if you're that concerned or run protected cells. Or sell the light, and find one you're more comfortable using. Maybe Li-ions aren't for you. This is a small run light from a boutique maker, designed for enthusiasts. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but fully 2/3 of your posts here on CPF have been about this light...

At the end of the day, battery safety falls squarely in the lap of the end user. You and nobody else are responsible for the proper safety, storage, and use of unprotected cells. They're unprotected. There are plenty of hot rod lights that don't offer low voltage protection, it's a risk we all accept here, some use them and some don't.

Hmmmm maybe I'm being inarticulate. What I'm trying to "accomplish" is the answer to the question; Considering the warning label on the battery says to not discharge the battery below 2.75 volts. When the light falls out of regulation at 2.7 volts, does that mean I violated the warning label on the battery?

I'm sure you saw that my other posts were about the Manker E14 and that I'm perfectly comfortable using Li-ions. I would classify that light as a hot rod.

Maybe people thought I wanted general safety info on batteries because I didn't ask my question well enough and they are getting frustrated because I keep asking. It sounds like everyone is saying only the manufacturer knows the actual specific answer. I was hoping for a scenario where maybe the warning label on the battery always applies to resting voltage etc. Or they could suggest some way of testing it like as soon as the light drops out of regulation at 2.7 volts, take the battery out and test it to see if the resting voltage comes back over 3 volts and that means it is good to go etc. Sorry if I've caused consternation. I love the light and for me it's the best light that has ever been made.

Okay, let's make this really easy. The cutoff of regulation being set at 2.7 is violating the manufacturer warning. 2.7 is less than 2.75. It doesn't matter much anyways. Those cells should not be discharged down that low. If you bring them down that low, you will greatly reduce cell cycle life. You should probably be recharging the cells before the voltage gets below 3.5 or 3.4 volts. I recharge at 3.8 or 3.7 volts. The cells have no memory. Recharge more often whenever possible and your cells will last much longer and provide better output.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Okay, let's make this really easy. The cutoff of regulation being set at 2.7 is violating the manufacturer warning. 2.7 is less than 2.75. It doesn't matter much anyways. Those cells should not be discharged down that low. If you bring them down that low, you will greatly reduce cell cycle life. You should probably be recharging the cells before the voltage gets below 3.5 or 3.4 volts. I recharge at 3.8 or 3.7 volts. The cells have no memory. Recharge more often whenever possible and your cells will last much longer and provide better output.
    I agree with everything you said. Thanks for the reply. I feel like I have hijacked this thread long enough. On anther note, the light is just amazing. Really nice tint and CRI plus the spacing is great. I'll try and add some pics soon. I have the polished copper version and I haven't seen too many pics of that version.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Does anyone have any idea what emitters are being used in the beagle? I have a polished copper coming in the mail and I can’t wait to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Does anyone have any idea what emitters are being used in the beagle? I have a polished copper coming in the mail and I can’t wait to try it out.
    Im curious as well; Muyshondt is keeping it a secret. Regardless, the tint and CRI look fantastic to me. You are going to love it and the finish as long as you don't mind the extra ounces on the copper. Please check back in when you get it and let me know what you think.

Flashaholic

Tint compared to my 219c equipped Boss. Beagle to the right.

“Houston, the Beagle has landed”.
    I used my new polished copper Beagle last night after charging its new Muyshondt battery to 4.1 volts. I can almost certainly say that it is already my favorite light, and now I’m questioning if there is even a point to buying the Brass Boss combo and the Aluminum Bronze Flieger. The tint is beyond pleasant. I spent a fair amount of time doing A-B-A-B comparisons with several other lights using a bouquet of flowers that I bought for my fiancé as the subject I was illuminating. The colors that the Beagle’s flood ring showed in the flowers really appeared more vivid and more “alive” than any of my other lights including My AA Maratac with the Nichia emitter and the 47’s Atom A0 candlepower anniversary light also using a Nichia emitter. Even my beloved Spy 007 with a high CRI XPG2 didn’t show the colors as well. And the flood ring gives a much broader beam than a typical mule flashlight which have circular beams with a sharply defined edge. The light would actually make an excellent home defense light in my opinion because when the flood beam and the “spot” beam are on together, it gives the user incredible situational awareness. None of the “tunnel vision” that can occur when a light has to be pointed back and fourth in order to illuminate an entire room.
    The light is an absolute tank in copper. It weighs more than my Alpha custom, which is a significantly bigger light. I’m assuming with all that thermal mass heat will never be an issue. My only concern is a slight squeaking/rubbing sound between the titanium tail switch and the copper body when they rub past each other. I’m hoping it will smooth out over time and stop making sound. That and I wish the pocket clip had a little bit more tension because of how heavy the light is.
    I’m honestly not a fan of reverse clickies, I prefer the ability to turn the light on without clicking it on when wanted, but the switch works, and it works well.
    Trojansteel, how do you feel about the Boss vs the Beagle as far as tint, beam pattern, color rendering and brightness?

I keep on wanting one. I love the concept! The weight of these just tells me I will catch and release it though.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast