RMSK, Inc.        
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

Default Re: Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

Quote Originally Posted by LogicalBeard View Post
    Beagle vs the BOSS-
    1.) If the Beagle was in the same form factor as the BOSS; Same weight and dimensions, would you still prefer the BOSS? And why?
    2.) So you use your BOSS/Beagle for mid to long distances?
    1. For a torch, yes, I would prefer the BOSS. Trying to think of an analogy and best as can think of is my shooting days. In the UK, many members had a .22Ē semi-auto rifle. EVERYONE else had a Ruger 10/22 as it was a solid choice and there was a huge system of options around it. You could discard everything bar the breech and replace with custom options. Being contrary, I bought a Marlin 7000T. It was what it was, no extras available (well, not in The UK). I loved it. Heavy, but perfect for what I wanted.

The Beagle is the Marlin. The BOSS is the Ruger. If the Beagle does what you want then it is very good - maybe unique currently. If you want lots of options then the BOSS is the one to go for.

If I could have borrowed both torches and used for a few weeks then I would have bought the BOSS. Fortunately I can keep both and it is nice to have a smooth flood with the option of adding some throw.

2. I use my torch for navigating to the toilet during the night, to walking to the car, to night running. Short, medium and long range. For medium/short range the Beagle beam pattern is very nice, maybe perfect. At longer ranges it suffers due to the small reflector - my Haiku certainly out throws it. When it is repaired I will compare it side by side with my BOSS.

I just received the e-series compatible Oveready head in 219 which is a better comparison I think - it is on a single cell body and will have a better tint match.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    For me, Beagle indoors where tapping through a mode or two to get where I need to is no big deal. Big, soft flood. No blinding getting up in the middle of the night. BOSS 35 if I'm heading out and can preset a high level up front. Still has nice flood but has nice reach, too. Sometimes both since there's battery commonality and both can run primaries.
    How often do you run primaries?

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    1. For a torch, yes, I would prefer the BOSS. Trying to think of an analogy and best as can think of is my shooting days. In the UK, many members had a .22Ē semi-auto rifle. EVERYONE else had a Ruger 10/22 as it was a solid choice and there was a huge system of options around it. You could discard everything bar the breech and replace with custom options. Being contrary, I bought a Marlin 7000T. It was what it was, no extras available (well, not in The UK). I loved it. Heavy, but perfect for what I wanted.

The Beagle is the Marlin. The BOSS is the Ruger. If the Beagle does what you want then it is very good - maybe unique currently. If you want lots of options then the BOSS is the one to go for.

If I could have borrowed both torches and used for a few weeks then I would have bought the BOSS. Fortunately I can keep both and it is nice to have a smooth flood with the option of adding some throw.

2. I use my torch for navigating to the toilet during the night, to walking to the car, to night running. Short, medium and long range. For medium/short range the Beagle beam pattern is very nice, maybe perfect. At longer ranges it suffers due to the small reflector - my Haiku certainly out throws it. When it is repaired I will compare it side by side with my BOSS.

I just received the e-series compatible Oveready head in 219 which is a better comparison I think - it is on a single cell body and will have a better tint match.

Thanks for taking the time to answer; exactly the information I was wondering about. Since I don't have a long range need, the Beagle's beam pattern is perfect for me. If I was running, I would also prefer a beam pattern like the BOSS: I'm guessing my Manker e14 approximates it. I would love some side by side beam pattern shots when you get the 219c.

I'll be off topic for a moment, but to paraphrase Arlo Guthrie, we're going to wait for it to come back around. I had a house fire here on Feb. 23rd, everyone got out safely. We did lose our cat, but she was 15 and had lived a long, spoiled life. The house was a complete loss. I've been going back into what's left of the house to dig for some items that were important to my Wife and I. Slim pickings, to be sure. Today, I found one of my HDS Rotaries, and my Beagle after a bunch of digging. Enrique, as well as Henry, have offered to see if either is salvageable and see what can be done with them to bring them back into service. Huge, huge props to both gentlemen for their kind service. Thank you both... Hogo posted pics for me on the HDS Facebook group of both lights, if anyone's interested. I just have my phone for the time being, and can't play nice with Tinypic. Again, my thanks to both Enrique, and Henry.
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

So sorry to hear that man, you will be in my prayers! Hopefully your lights can be repaired. I just received a beagle yesterday, and I'm loving it! Excellent utility light!
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

Sorry to hear that Scout, hope Enrique can work his magic on getting the Beagle repaired. Sorry to hear about your cat too

I know This is an old thread, but Iím contemplating getting a nicely priced beagle but I am up in the air as to whether I should get the boss. From what Iíve seen the beam shot of the beagle is awesome, but I donít really like the reverse clicky or shorter run times and limited lumens. Can anyone with experience on either of these lights give me some input? Iím assuming the boss has quite a bit more throw.

Thanks so much and advance!
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by djans1397 View Post
    I know This is an old thread, but Iím contemplating getting a nicely priced beagle but I am up in the air as to whether I should get the boss. From what Iíve seen the beam shot of the beagle is awesome, but I donít really like the reverse clicky or shorter run times and limited lumens. Can anyone with experience on either of these lights give me some input? Iím assuming the boss has quite a bit more throw.

Thanks so much and advance!
    Glad to address any BOSS questions, but I have no experience with the Beagle, sorry.

I, too, do not care for reverse clicky switches. Those are usually a deal-breaker for me.

The BOSS has massive power, but is not anything I would consider using when I specifically wanted or needed "throw"

In terms of output versus runtime, the BOSS is easily and fully programmable. Mine is never set for max possible output, and most of my usual settings cluster in the lower levels (and typically include one secondary color output mode)

Hope that's helpful ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

I have both, I donít think the Beagle has significantly higher throw. Get a BOSS on 2 cells and the throw is better than that of the Beagle - I tested that last weekend using a 219 BOSS head. Might be seen as unfair comparison but the ability to have both 35 and 70 bodies quite cheaply is something to be kept in mind.

The Beagle is unique and certainly worth a try, but having both, I prefer the BOSS.

I've yet to own a BOSS, but have owned a Beagle and a Minion. The flood ring is nice and unique on the Beagle, but I feel there is much more you can do with BOSS. I vote for the BOSS Dan.
    Click Here to view my lights

Iím not a Nichia guy and prefer the XPL actually. Iíd actually want an aluminum one for the wt savings and price point. True u can use both the 35 and 70 body, but Iíd only prob ever run the 35 for size factor. So does the set up on the 35 throw AS FAR as the Beagle? I do like a combo of both if possible And figured with the high output on the Boss it would make up for any lack of reflector that the beagle has in terms of throw

Any input?

thanks SOOOO MUCH all for the help!
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

You might be surprised between the 35 and 70 .... Of the two, I actually find the 70 preferable for EDC.

An update for me, I no longer own a Boss or Beagle but having owned both I'll throw two cents in.

The Beagle is throwier than the BOSS, where the BOSS sort of makes of for that, is in much higher drive current which allows it to brute force for a short range, but at the expense of very short battery life and high heat.

Ergonomics, the BOSS feels better in hand, particularly with the 70 body which is actually pretty damn compact for a rear switched 18650 setup, the problem here being that the Beagle is essentially a straight tube, there isn't much aside from the clip for retention in the hand, and while the knurling is nice, it doesn't help as much in grip as I would have liked.

Clip, the BOSS uses OR's SS clip which I absolutely love, and will say it is the single best clip available today, great tension, smooth, slick look on most anything, and cheaper than most any of the other standard offerings. The Beagle clip is well...atrocious at best IMO, stock they are too weak for such a chunky light, sharp-ass edges, and poorly finished, especially the optional Timascus offering that were just roughly milled, bead blasted, and heated for a finish and color selection that looks more like mud than usually colorful Timascus. With an appropriately sized bushing, you can use an OR universal clip for much better retention, but doing anything to your Muyshondt light besides changing the battery, voids the warranty...

Battery selection, they can both strictly speaking handle 18350s, 16340s, and CR123s, though the BOSS requires some programming to achieve that.

UI, BOSS is programmable but is essentially up to 4 modes with an auxiliary color LED option, the Beagle is not programmable but is KISS with a simple 5 mode selection from low to high with the first couple modes being strictly the flood ring.

Warranty, hands down the BOSS is the better light to own in this respect.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the concept of the Beagle, I just think as it is implemented it is mediocre. A proper dual beam light in the custom area is something that just doesn't exist aside from the long discontinued Lunasol, the problems with the Beagle IMO, are bland/slick host design, poor clip, too small of a center reflector, use of an XP-L2 in the center instead of something throwier and/or with better tint, and a loosely fitted engine, the pill is fitted loosely into the head with some thermal paste, no threading on the production lights. I hope to see a better revision or version of the Beagle concept as it has promise.

Thanks thetasigma, Arch and all! Glad u mentioned the Timascus clip as the one Iím looking at has that. Iím not one for sharp edges on my clips. As much as Iíd like to try the Beagle, I think Iím going to wait on that perfect used aluminum BOSS model after reading through this thread and everyoneís input.

Thanks again all for the input! Thatís why I love this place, great help all around!

I was curious about the beagle too. Thanks for the great info guys. I'll pass on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by djans1397 View Post
    Iím not a Nichia guy and prefer the XPL actually. Iíd actually want an aluminum one for the wt savings and price point. True u can use both the 35 and 70 body, but Iíd only prob ever run the 35 for size factor. So does the set up on the 35 throw AS FAR as the Beagle? I do like a combo of both if possible And figured with the high output on the Boss it would make up for any lack of reflector that the beagle has in terms of throw

Any input?

thanks SOOOO MUCH all for the help!
    My BOSS is XPl HI and pretty warm, prefer it to my XML2 SPY007 tint

I was on a sea wall at 10:30pm last week doing my annual torch test. I had the following

1. SPY 007
    2. 219 e-series version of the BOSS head
    3. Beagle
    - did not have my actual BOSS with me.

The SPY showed the furthest rocks, followed by the e-BOSS on 2 cells. The e-BOSS on 1 cell and Beagle had similar throw - there were rocks the Beagle just did not reach out to. The Beagle is a single cell, to be fair, but it is bulky.

The Beagle is a great torch for working around the house but doesnít last me an hour on throw settings which the SPY has. I tried it on night runs multiple times and the BOSS 70 lasted longer.

Just my experiences, YMMV etc etc

I have never owned a BOSS but three things you said would make me recommend a BOSS to you:

1.) The weight and form factor. I'm assuming this is going to be your EDC and the lighter weight would probably make a noticeable difference. I think an aluminum BOSS is half the weight of a Beagle.

2.) The Beagle is a reverse clicky and you don't like those.

3.) You don't like Nichia's.

Reasons I like the Beagle better: Theoretically, since I have never gotten to try out a BOSS.

1.) 5 modes vs 3 modes with a secondary mode. I'm not big on a low red/amber mode so it would make the BOSS a 3 mode light for me. I know some people prefer less modes but I have no problem getting to my preferred mode for the task at hand in under a second. I actually prefer the 7 mode setup on my Manker E14.

2.) I prefer Nichia emitters. The Beagle's flood mode is amazing. I click the button and this wash of warm high CRI magic envelops my surroundings. The beam pattern has more flood than a traditional mule and I can still use mode 4 and 5 when I need to see farther. This accomplishes 99% of my tasks.

Side notes:

Testing runtime on mode 4 got me into 2 hours before it fell out of regulation with a 700 mAh battery. I now use protected Keeppower 1200 mAh batteries for even longer runtimes.

I have zero problem with the ergonomics.

My only issue with the clip is that it is rough on my pants. Mine doesn't poke me or cause me any other problems.

If you haven't already, you should join the "Control the Dark" Facebook group.

Just a couple additional comments regarding the BOSS ....

Modes are fully programmable, up to 4 modes total, in each of two banks (4 + 4) , as well as an optional "bounce" mode. If you want less than 4, or none of them to include red / amber (except for bounce) , that is easy to set up.

Emitter options have varied among the "waves" of light engines, but have usually included both Cree and Nichia as choices.
    Last edited by archimedes; 09-07-2018 at 07:37 AM.

"If you want less than 4, or none of them to include red / amber (except for bounce) , that is easy to set up."

Nice to know. I thought you had to use the secondary as one of the levels. Has it always been like that?

How do you switch between the "banks"?

.... Nice to know. I thought you had to use the secondary as one of the levels. Has it always been like that?
    No, all levels are fully selectable. Yes, I believe that has been the case, at least since the start of the web/optical programming system was first available.

How do you switch between the "banks"?
    Each bank is selected automatically, based on voltage detected (one cell vs two cells)

It's amazingly versatile. Want red, and three other sub- 25lm modes on a single RCR cell? With one and only flamethrower mode on two RCR's? DONE!

Awesome info guys! So appreciated. Iíd love to get them both, but have decided to wait on the next drop and get an aluminum combo in XPL, if itsoffered. Now to decide on amber vs red secondary.

I'm deleting your post as heresay and a violation of Rule 4. And stirring up controversy just for the heck of it. Enough, please.
    Last edited by scout24; 09-09-2018 at 06:10 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678