Dorman 3157NA LED replacements?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic

Just facts: These are not legitimate, safe, legal, or effective. Don't.

I see that Philips has not released an amber version yet

The LED bulb that might(!) work acceptably is this one. The "might" involves a careful check as described here, and understanding that this kind of comparison cannot determine how good they are, only how bad they might be.

I understand the brake lights are the important ones for safety

Um, no. Every regulated light on the exterior of the vehicle is an important one for safety. It's not correct to assume that the brake lights are "the" important ones, or that the brake lights are "more important" for safety than the turn signals.

the concept of going all LED is cool

The lights aren't there to be cool or to make you feel special. They're there to prevent injury, death, and property damage. To do that, they have to work correctly.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
My point was that the quick rise time was most important for safety on brake lights, nothing more than that.

I totally agree with your point that I'm not going to put anything on my vehicle unless there's some consensus among experts that it's at least as safe and functional as the original equipment.

I was surprised to see some corncob looking lights with the Dorman name on them, they've been in business long enough they ought to know better. As such I was thinking that maybe they might look cheesy but actually work OK, I guess not?

I was aware of the Zevos and wasn't aware that they were actually legal, I remember them getting trashed a bit when they first came out. Am guessing that real world tests have shown that they "might not suck too badly"? I have to admit that I have a couple years' worth of catching up to do because I've been silly busy and not really following the latest lighting developments :/

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
My point was that the quick rise time was most important for safety on brake lights, nothing more than that.
Important, yes. Most important? No. Not when other factors are so UNequal.

All factors being equal, yes, you pick the one with the fastest rise time. But this means that between all the light sources you choose from, that they all have the correct photometrics. This also includes the difference between intensities of the minor and major functions-- a fast rise time from a minor function that is too dim *or too bright* to be a tail lamp is meaningless-- the light source is incorrect (for example, some of the Zevo 'bulbs' whose minor function is so intense it's hard to distinguish the major function from it). If it fails to meet prescribed minima, or exceeds allowed maxima-- it's the wrong light source. Faster rise time would be a tiebreaker between two otherwise equal sources.

consensus
Facts are facts whether there's an agreement of opinions. Eight people can opine that the earth is flat; they have a consensus (but then again, no expertise in that subject).

I was surprised to see some corncob looking lights with the Dorman name on them, they've been in business long enough they ought to know better. As such I was thinking that maybe they might look cheesy but actually work OK, I guess not?
They've been business long enough to sell what people will buy, no matter the quality, real or imagined. The corncob-looking bulb-like toys don't work OK.

Last edited: