Fenix FD20 vs MiniMag Pro+ ?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
FD20 seems to be going after the size & adjustable focus of the Mini Mag.
I wonder how they compare for throw. Discounting the 350 Lm Turbo, High is 100 Lm which is somewhat less than the Mini Mag Pro or Pro+.
The flood is 78 deg; anyone know what the measurement on the MiniMag is?

stephenk

Enlightened
FD20 seems to be going after the size & adjustable focus of the Mini Mag.
I wonder how they compare for throw. Discounting the 350 Lm Turbo, High is 100 Lm which is somewhat less than the Mini Mag Pro or Pro+.
The flood is 78 deg; anyone know what the measurement on the MiniMag is?
Throw is determined by lux, not lumens. They are not directly proportional due to reflector, optics, and emitter choice.
Can't answer the question though.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Well, they claim 115m beam distance on Turbo and 61m on High.

Lets see, the Mini Pro: 272 lumens, beam distance of 534 feet so 164m. 6613 Cd. For about half the price.
Pro+ now 245 Lm to 150m distance. 5600 Cd.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about comparing reflector adjustment/beam focus quality?

Does one manufacturer have much better reflector design/reflector manufacturing, so the beam is properly focused? My experience indicates such.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, they claim 115m beam distance on Turbo and 61m on High.

Lets see, the Mini Pro: 272 lumens, beam distance of 534 feet so 164m. 6613 Cd. For about half the price.
Pro+ now 245 Lm to 150m distance. 5600 Cd.

The latest Mini Mag Pro Plus is rated for 281 Lumens, 6947 cd for 167M of ANSI throw.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would advise the FD20 simply because you can simply turn it on and off via tail switch to whatever focus you left it at. Always having to head twist my Mini Pros on and off on top of always having to adjust focus every single time you turn it on drove me up the wall. The beam profile out of the Fenix is far and away better than anything I have seen out of a Mini Mag.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I probably want a different focus every time I use it so not a problem.
But a tail switch can turn itself on when in a pouch or loop.

I bought a Fenix E35 UE and it is a failure due to the poor body switch & no tail switch. The body switch cannot be found in the dark -- cannot feel it, especially in cold weather. Takes too long to fumble with.

The FD20 light has the tail switch, but loses the 1000 Lm burst of the 14440 battery by being designed around AA current. But it fails in the other way the E35UE fails -- if you are going to make a AA light, the barrel needs to be no larger in diameter than the Mini Mag, so it will fit into existing EMT pouches.

I've had a Ripoffs pouch since the 1980's -- same pouch, worn every time I put on long pants:
http://www.ripoffs.com/datasheets/co7/co7.html

If Ripoffs made a pouch the same width as the CO7, with just a slightly larger pouch to fit a 22mm light, I'd switch my MiniMag for one of these two lights. The pouches made for 1" diameter lights are uncomfortably wide overall.

Also, the listed diameter of the barrel is not the maximum diameter -- the tail cap is larger by a couple mm and that makes the difference in fitting into the pouch. The MiniMag is about 18-20mm in diameter.