Is it me?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or has the team at KC Hilites completely mangled the definitions of lux and candela?

KC Hilites
Lumens is best described as a base metric that we use to indicate the total potential amount of light from a light source.
Uhhh, suuuuure.

Lux and Candela help us measure the strength, intensity and volume of light at a specific distances.
Are they talking aboug light, or hair?

Lumens, Lux and Candela should all be used to assess the performance and efficiency of our lighting products.
They keep using words. I'm not sure those words mean what they think they mean.

Their primary job is to sell things. They do that really well, obviously.

kevinthefro

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I should have been more specific. They have definitions at the bottom of the page under the Hummer you have to click on.

Lux is the measure of light at a specific distance within a specific area at that distance. Typically LUX is measured at 10 Meters and within a square meter of space at the 10M target.

Candela is the total volume of light within a certain beam angle and direction.

They're not just vague, they are not even related to the actual definitions. It's like they made them up out of thin air. It's inconceivable to me that a company of that size doesn't have anyone on staff who knows better.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw those things, but just thought I'd pick apart another part of that same page.

It's inconceivable to me that a company of that size doesn't have anyone on staff who knows better.
When your chief product is*​ a 23-year warranty, who cares? Nobody has to know better. Look at PIAA, selling blue light covers as being "effective in the snow". Or other covers they claim turn your auxiliary high beams into fog lamps. Surely someone knows better, but selling is better than knowing.

*​That's right-- IS, not HAS.

Last edited: