Angryfox        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what happened?

Au So what happened?

As many of you may have noticed, CPF is performing quite a bit better as of last evening after many months of sub-par performance. Obviously, this is a good thing and my hope is that it will stay this way and continue to improve in various different ways.

Many have asked what the problem is/was and offered suggestions as to how to "fix" it. Most comments and support have been greatly appreciated even if they have not been acknowledged on my part. Thank you - really.

The problems and solutions were/are many... and not all of them have to do with the software, server, and spammers. The past year of my life has been a pretty stressful one on a personal level and in all honesty, CPF has not been my top priority in any way, shape or form. Without going into details I'm sure most of you could care less about, I am happy to say that life is a whole lot better now and I have a healthy and beautiful new grandson who just turned 9 weeks old. I just returned from spending a few days with him and my daughter, and for the first time in a year, I finally feel I can relax - everything is just fine.

Now on to the software and server issues. The CPF software (vBulletin) has been needing an upgrade. Normally, this is not much of a problem and can be done fairly quickly. However the last two upgrades have required an upgraded version of php on the server. That is not so quick and easy. Tackling a php upgrade on the server has not been something I could even begin to wrap my head around. ----- I realize now how truly stressed out I was because when I went to tackle it yesterday, it was all very easy and I accomplished the upgrade in less than an hour with only one hiccup that was also easily solved ----- Then I was able to upgrade the forum software and optimize and repair all of the forum tables. These are all things that have needed to be done but I was just not up to the task at the time.

In case anyone is wondering about the whole spammer issue - yes, it is/was real. And it really does have an impact on server/forum performance. It still may at certain times due to the extreme onslaught of these spammers attempting to register and post. I have managed to identify literally hundreds of IP addresses that are used by these spammers and have banned most of them. But there can still be a draw on our resources as they continue to hit our server anyway. It is what it is and at this time, we're doing the best we can.

There are also certain times during the middle of the night (here in the United States) when performance will be a little slow. That is because backups of the server, software and database are being performed. No, I'm not going to change that.

Moving on... About a year ago, I purchased the license for the vBulletin Mobile Suite. It is a really nice add-on to our current forum software that will allow CPF to have it's own mobile app without having to be "slave" to Tapatalk or any other platform that does not support certain CPF functions. It is the first mobile app platform that is specifically designed *FOR* vBulletin and is not just "compatible" with it. I'm very excited now to get started on building the apps (for iOS and Android) and getting them published. (FWIW - I could not do this sooner as it required the upgrade of the forum software which required the upgrade of the server software, etc. etc.) I will keep you all posted on the progress.

So yes - the problems ultimately have been my fault. My personal life took priority over this online forum about flashlights. I could offer apologies for that but it changes nothing and I guess there is a part of me that feels I really don't have to apologize for putting my life and family first. I would expect no less from any of you and only ask for your understanding.

Barring any unforeseen setbacks, all should be back on track now and I am looking forward to moving forward with the growth of CPF. Thanks again everyone for your understanding and cooperation.

Default Re: So what happened?

Greta, you seriously do not need to apologise for anything.
    P

Flashaholic

Hello Greta,

Although it's only been a short while since I logged on, thought you'd like to know that the Forum feels noticeable snappier now. Also, some of the extraneous code/screen lines that used to appear at the top of my screen no longer appear. Hopefully the upgrade will minimize/eliminate those re-directions to questionable websites that I used to occassionally experience.

Glad also to hear that you're at a good place right now, I think you have your life's priorities exactly as they need to be with family and health first.

Although I'm not a heavy user I know my sentiment reflects those of many CPF users when I say thank you for your service to the CPF community.

pc_light
    "may you live light and phosphor" - Mr. Spark

Having everything said above, thank you so much, dear Greta Wish you luck and peace of mind

Thank you, Greta.

Greta, first and foremost I'm glad your personal life is in a better state. I've found CPF to be a very caring community.

Second, simply thank you for shouldering this wonderful forum that has not only provided an enjoyable hobby, but has also become a social community for many of us.

Lastly, because this forum is so important to us, thank you for the upgrade. Since I access the forum mostly on my phone, I'm looking forward to the upcoming mobile app.

Oh, one more. Grandchildren are the BEST!!! Enjoy him!

Congratulations on the grandson!
    "We canít just go with MBAV because itís out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

As a small way of showing my appreciation for all things CPF, I renewed my CPF Supporter subscription.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

In before close.

{Effusive congratulations for the 9 week old!}

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    In before close.

{Effusive congratulations for the 9 week old!}
    Smart ass...

{Thank you! }

Thanks for your excellent service, I am happy to say CPF is doing a lot better now.
    ****** Custom filtered blacklight flashlight based on both Nichia NVSU233A-U365 and Convoy S2 flashlight host (Pictured in avatar icon) ******

Default good job sasha

the forum is way faster now
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Thanks for all your hard work Greta!!

A&Q Moderator

Running great!
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Thanks for sharing Greta. An explanation of any type is appreciated. I can totally understand your priorities and happy you are in a good place!

Congrats on the grandson!

Things are running well. Thank you again.

Congrats Greta on the grandson,

Banned

Thanks Greta. Congrats on the Grandson and the restoration of your "Peace of Mind"!

p.s. Is Our CPF logo coming back instead of the "V" ish shaped "VBulletin" Logo?!!!!

Hi Greta,

Congratulations on your baby grandson!!

Thanks for all your hardwork on cpf

Ainsley
    Torchaholic

Flashaholic*

There is no need to apologize. Thank you, Greta, for all you do!! It is running great!!

As others have said here ... thanks for the update, and the upgrade
    ... is the archimedes peak

ps conrats granny
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

no apologies necessary. thank you for all you do!
    Choppers

Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post

p.s. Is Our CPF logo coming back instead of the "V" ish shaped "VBulletin" Logo?!!!!
    Yes, I will be getting to that...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Yes, I will be getting to that...

Enlightened

I'm new here, but I noticed the board didn't run as smoothly as others I've posted at and moderated over the years. It definitely seems to be working much better today. Someone on amazon pointed the community out to me, when I was shopping for a new light. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for hosting this community, it's already proven extremely helpful. And from talks I've had with owners of other boards I've worked for, I know it's not nearly as cheap as one might assume of a free community, much less problem free.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    So what happened?
    I was thinking just this a couple hours ago! How come it's working so well all of a sudden!

Thanks, thanks and thanks!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Thanks for all you do Greta! Here hoping for a great year for you personally and for your family as well.

I have a theory on what happened. Someone's significant other paid off Greta to keep us from spending too much money and time on our habits.

Congrats on the grandchild. Grandchildren are the revenge parents get on their kids. My mother loves to give them cake for breakfast so I have to put up with them until the sugar crash
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Cheers, congrats on the grandbaby, and thank you for openly sharing the backstory now.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Greta, first and foremost I'm glad your personal life is in a better state. I've found CPF to be a very caring community.

Second, simply thank you for shouldering this wonderful forum that has not only provided an enjoyable hobby, but has also become a social community for many of us.

Lastly, because this forum is so important to us, thank you for the upgrade. Since I access the forum mostly on my phone, I'm looking forward to the upcoming mobile app.

Oh, one more. Grandchildren are the BEST!!! Enjoy him!
    I couldn't have said it better. I didn't toss my cowpie onto the pile because I knew you were doing the best you can. I am glad you are over that period of your life, and am especially glad about your grandson. As I have told others, Your God, your family, yourself, your job, everything else.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast