NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: You will love this NASA penlight

Default Re: You will love this NASA flashlight

I have a question Barbarin, will each flashlight have it's own unique serial number?

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Foreman View Post
    I have a question Barbarin, will each flashlight have it's own unique serial number?

Yes, every Barbolight has its own serial number

Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Foreman View Post
    I'm cool with it I suppose. Can't wait to have my little space light! I plan to use it on the job. If this thing breaks or a part goes bad inside, will it be repairable? Is it more of a collectors piece that shouldn't be used on the job?
    Of course it is a working flashlight, as every Barbolight, made to be used and abused. And yes, although some parts are sealed is possible to open them and replace every part needed. Which is on the other hand quite difficult to happen. It is waterproof, has an XPL-HI under driven at 10% of its maximum power, and the power dissipation is over-engineered... But yes, is future proof.

Quote Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
    Are the colors reversed here then? Blue alkaline, white NiMH?
    Correct. The alkaline behavior seems weird, but what you can see is a real word test. It works like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarin View Post
    Of course it is a working flashlight, as every Barbolight, made to be used and abused. And yes, although some parts are sealed is possible to open them and replace every part needed. Which is on the other hand quite difficult to happen. It is waterproof, has an XPL-HI under driven at 10% of its maximum power, and the power dissipation is over-engineered... But yes, is future proof.
    Thank you, that sounds great! I wish you luck in this and future endeavors. I am looking forward to this light!!

This is such a brilliant project. BBL you should be proud of what you've accomplished! An excellent example of thinking outside the box and producing an amazing tool.

My only feedback would be that although I understand you can't allow people to individually select what date of manufacture to have on it, or even give a wide range because it'd not be viable, all I'd ask is that you give people the choice of:

A ) the apollo historic date (7-68)
    B ) genuine month/year of manufacture

That way everyone can be happy, and it'd still be easy to manage manufacturing wise.

Quote Originally Posted by arKmm View Post
    This is such a brilliant project. BBL you should be proud of what you've accomplished! An excellent example of thinking outside the box and producing an amazing tool.

My only feedback would be that although I understand you can't allow people to individually select what date of manufacture to have on it, or even give a wide range because it'd not be viable, all I'd ask is that you give people the choice of:

A ) the apollo historic date (7-68)
    B ) genuine month/year of manufacture

That way everyone can be happy, and it'd still be easy to manage manufacturing wise.
    Thanks for your kind words. Yes, this kind of polls have some risks... If we send to every people what they have asked, this will result in risk of mesh with the shippings. But we are studying it or offering another option... I will let you know very soon.

Javier

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, this kind of polls have some risks... If we send to every people what they have asked, this will result in risk of mesh with the shippings. But we are studying it or offering another option... I will let you know very soon.

Javier
    You're welcome. I look forward to hearing what you have planned as the only thing putting me off is the inability to have a genuine manufacture date, but I imagine I am in the minority and most people would prefer the historic date.

Quote Originally Posted by arKmm View Post
    You're welcome. I look forward to hearing what you have planned as the only thing putting me off is the inability to have a genuine manufacture date, but I imagine I am in the minority and most people would prefer the historic date.
    I really would have preferred the real manufacturing date as well, since this isn't really a replica per se. If it had the original incandescent bulb and lens design, sure, but with LEDs and a new company (Barbolight) making them? Doesn't make much sense to me but I suppose people wanted the 1968 date for nostalgia purposes.

I still have my pledge in and want one but someday I would love to buy another if offered with the real date of manufacture!
    Last edited by Randall Foreman; 08-11-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Hi all,

We are so happy with the result of the funding campaign, and we have felt so much supported by you all that we have decided that or way of saying thank you is to allow each customer which date will be engraved on his light, real date or 7-1968.

But not just that. We have been working on a version without TIR lens, but with a traditional reflector and a sapphire lens. Well, we have it, and the backers are going to be able to choose from.

Best regards,

Javier

Hi all,

We are so happy with the result of the funding campaign, and we have felt so much supported by you all that we have decided that or way of saying thank you is to allow each customer which date will be engraved on his light, real date or 7-1968.

But not just that. We have been working on a version without TIR lens, but with a traditional reflector and a sapphire lens. Well, we have it, and the backers are going to be able to choose from.

Best regards,

Javier
    This is so cool!! Thank you Javier, that is a great thing and so glad the project funding is a success!!

Hi all,

Best regards,

Javier
    This is great, thank you! Will the reflector version use the same XP-L HI emitter or will you go with something floodier, like a normal domed XP-L?

(Check the interesting story behind the SR71 Blackbird and how did CIA managed to get the much needed titanium from the USSR).
    Link ?

Is this light available to pre-order still?
    Quote Originally Posted by lumen aeternum View Post
    Link ?
    Found through Wikipedia, which cited a BBC article:"The airplane is 92% titanium inside and out. Back when they were building the airplane the United States didn't have the ore supplies – an ore called rutile ore. It's a very sandy soil and it's only found in very few parts of the world. The major supplier of the ore was the USSR. Working through Third World countries and bogus operations, they were able to get the rutile ore shipped to the United States to build the SR-71."

Oh wow! What a cool idea! Too late to the party tough. 🙁 Been hiking the AT & off the grid. Are there going to be any more for sale? Saw the Kickstarter campaign ended just a week ago.

Once the head has been redesigned to accept both, TIR lense and reflector + glass and both solutions tested again to meet our standards, production was launched and we have everything almost ready; now parts will be brushed, then the laser marking will be done, it will take very little to be shipped to every owner.

Thanks for your support.

Looking fantastic!

A light from History, reborn.

Are people going to use them or keep them on a shelf?

Myself, it's a user.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyctophiliac View Post
    Looking fantastic!

A light from History, reborn.

Are people going to use them or keep them on a shelf?

Myself, it's a user.
    Most probably will be used... even for those who think they won't use it. It is a very confortable light: warm, high CRI, nice distribution... and easy to put in pocket.

Are these still available to purchase?

Flashaholic

Great! Looking forward! I will definitely use mine in the real world. Things like this need to be used so others can appreciate it as well.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my sh*t for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by egginator1 View Post
    Are these still available to purchase?
    They will be after some time. By now they were just made for the kickstarter project supporters. We have made SS and Ti prototypes that I hope to release one day... It all will depend on the success of the current line.

Javier

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456