RMSK, Inc.        
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 209

Thread: You will love this NASA penlight

  1. #91
    Flashaholic* Barbarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pamplona- NA- Spain
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Re: You will love this NASA flashlight

    Quote Originally Posted by sandalian View Post
    Beautifully designed flashlight. I really like its simplicity in design.
    thank you!

    one present for you

    [IMG][/IMG]

  2. #92
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    1,123

    Default Re: You will love this NASA flashlight

    backer #10!!! would it be against rules to start another thread in the main led flashlight forum? seems there is a lot more traffic in that part of the forum.

  3. #93
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    9,456

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    I think while it is still a "work-in-progress" it would be better to keep this thread here ... but after they go into production and general release, if OP wants, I can move this thread into the main "LED Flashlight" forum.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  4. #94
    Flashaholic* Barbarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pamplona- NA- Spain
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I think while it is still a "work-in-progress" it would be better to keep this thread here ... but after they go into production and general release, if OP wants, I can move this thread into the main "LED Flashlight" forum.
    This one is a flashlight that sooner or later will go into production, not necessarily as a KS project, but as a regular product. It is so different to our regular customer target that we decided to try this way, which speaking frankly is not showing as a very effective marketing way (unless you spend thousands of US$ on firms specialized on promoting crowdfunding projects). Regarding the product itself, we can say that it is fully developed and perfectly defined and tested to be put into production immediately.

    Thanks for your interest to you all.

  5. #95

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Fair warning: I have no interest in buying one of these. But that is only because I've photographed an original from every angle and intend to one day make my own reproduction as my first lathe project

    As someone mostly interested in the historical aspect, the 100 lumen thing is really off-putting. Would Nasa have wanted more lumens? Probably. Would they have gone with 100 lumens? No way.

    This light was made for what is called task lighting. And there are plenty of modern task lights on the market to get an idea for what could have been. The highest output I've seen in a task light is 55 lumens and they usually have lower modes. Some examples include the Surefire HL1 (19 lumens), Streamlight Sidewinder series (at least 4 different version, all 55 lumens max), Princeton Tec Charge MPLS (55 lumen max), and Princeton Tec Point MPLS (10 lumen max).

    I'm also disappointed to see so much Loctite in the construction. It might turn away people who would buy your light with the intent of modding the driver to produce more historically accurate output, or who want to go all the way and use an incan bulb.
    Try the largest, fastest, most flexible flashlight search engine: parametrek.com
    40 brands, 1936 models and still growing!
    NEW: li-ion battery search

  6. #96
    Flashaholic* Barbarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pamplona- NA- Spain
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Quote Originally Posted by parametrek View Post
    Fair warning: I have no interest in buying one of these. But that is only because I've photographed an original from every angle and intend to one day make my own reproduction as my first lathe project

    As someone mostly interested in the historical aspect, the 100 lumen thing is really off-putting. Would Nasa have wanted more lumens? Probably. Would they have gone with 100 lumens? No way.

    This light was made for what is called task lighting. And there are plenty of modern task lights on the market to get an idea for what could have been. The highest output I've seen in a task light is 55 lumens and they usually have lower modes. Some examples include the Surefire HL1 (19 lumens), Streamlight Sidewinder series (at least 4 different version, all 55 lumens max), Princeton Tec Charge MPLS (55 lumen max), and Princeton Tec Point MPLS (10 lumen max).

    I'm also disappointed to see so much Loctite in the construction. It might turn away people who would buy your light with the intent of modding the driver to produce more historically accurate output, or who want to go all the way and use an incan bulb.
    Thank you for your input.

    All those considerations were studied before making the first units, and we do not discard making a lower output version in the near future. But at this moment we have tried to make an updated and improved version, more useable and attractive to general public. It was not intended as a pure replica, because to start with we didn't wanted to use an incandescent bulb, but also according to our company philosophy we wanted to make a waterproof flashlight, more environmental resistant. I fully agree that in the darkness of a confined environment 100 lm is an overkill, but being practical the potential buyers of the light will be more probably sailors or regular people who will want to keep on their cars, homes, or give away as a present than astronauts or aircraft pilots. And on that case 100 lm are a fair amount of light while keeping a loooong runtime. Projects need to be attractive to "general public" to allow us to make sometimes things which are just interesting to a few. By the way, that Loctite is very easy to remove heating the light over 100ºC, and at that temperature the electronics are still safe (for a few seconds, which is all what you need to open the head).

    So, summarizing: It is waterproof, it has a LED, the lights distribution is achieved with a precision optic with a perfect distribution, it uses alkaline batteries (original were magnesium AA), and it puts out near 5 times what the original did... plus you will find written on it "BBL" instead or "ACR", and the date won't be 60-70's... This is why we avoid calling it a replica. A replica is another thing at least as we understand it, you can call this a "reborn". How would it be nowadays an astronaut light? For sure nothing similar to this one.

    Regards,

    Javier

  7. #97
    Flashaholic* Barbarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pamplona- NA- Spain
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    There is one consideration I forgot to add on the previous explanation. This light is using a very floody secondary optics, this means that most probably the lx value is quite similar to the original light, but the difference is that the area covered is much wider. Not "blinding" for close task work, just more light with more generous distribution.

  8. #98

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Love the single mode, runtime/output levlels, optic, battery, materials and just general style & look of this thing. REally want one. Thanks for trying to start discussion in main led forum or else I wouldn't have known about it.



    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarin View Post
    Thank you for your input.

    All those considerations were studied before making the first units, and we do not discard making a lower output version in the near future. But at this moment we have tried to make an updated and improved version, more useable and attractive to general public. It was not intended as a pure replica, because to start with we didn't wanted to use an incandescent bulb, but also according to our company philosophy we wanted to make a waterproof flashlight, more environmental resistant. I fully agree that in the darkness of a confined environment 100 lm is an overkill, but being practical the potential buyers of the light will be more probably sailors or regular people who will want to keep on their cars, homes, or give away as a present than astronauts or aircraft pilots. And on that case 100 lm are a fair amount of light while keeping a loooong runtime. Projects need to be attractive to "general public" to allow us to make sometimes things which are just interesting to a few. By the way, that Loctite is very easy to remove heating the light over 100ºC, and at that temperature the electronics are still safe (for a few seconds, which is all what you need to open the head).

    So, summarizing: It is waterproof, it has a LED, the lights distribution is achieved with a precision optic with a perfect distribution, it uses alkaline batteries (original were magnesium AA), and it puts out near 5 times what the original did... plus you will find written on it "BBL" instead or "ACR", and the date won't be 60-70's... This is why we avoid calling it a replica. A replica is another thing at least as we understand it, you can call this a "reborn". How would it be nowadays an astronaut light? For sure nothing similar to this one.

    Regards,

    Javier
    Hey go for it!
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

  9. #99
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    9,456

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Ok, thread moved, at request of OP
    ... is the archimedes peak

  10. #100
    Flashaholic* Barbarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pamplona- NA- Spain
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Ok, thread moved, at request of OP
    Thank you Sir,

    I'm here to reply all your questions

  11. #101
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    9,456

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarin View Post
    Thank you Sir,

    I'm here to reply all your questions
    It's been a pleasure chatting with you by PM, and I am continuing to follow your project with interest.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  12. #102
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    1,123

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    dang leon, i forgot about your love for single mode lights!

  13. #103

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Yeah id even nasa fan but it's like this one was made for me.

    Only way I could like it more is if it had stayed like the prototype which i understand had a higher cct.
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

  14. #104
    Flashaholic* Barbarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pamplona- NA- Spain
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Quote Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
    Yeah id even nasa fan but it's like this one was made for me.

    Only way I could like it more is if it had stayed like the prototype which i understand had a higher cct.
    Once you try the 3000ºK high CRI you won't want to get rid of it. If still you don't like it , I will replace the LED for you.

  15. #105

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    I love warm flood! The 2800k XPL in my Spy Tri-V3 was perfect!
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

  16. #106

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    So maybe I missed it but how do we purchase and how much? This light looks awesome. I have an eiger high cri that is similer but the warmer tint and longer run time on this is great.

  17. #107

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Gt390 View Post
    So maybe I missed it but how do we purchase and how much? This light looks awesome. I have an eiger high cri that is similer but the warmer tint and longer run time on this is great.

    To purchase, click on the Kickstarter link at the top of post Number 1 in this thread.

  18. #108

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    The light doesn't have any springs on the tail or head?

  19. #109
    Flashaholic* Barbarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pamplona- NA- Spain
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Newguy2012 View Post
    The light doesn't have any springs on the tail or head?
    No, it does not. Neither the original. This kind of design, which is the simplest one, does not need it, and the only reason for it would be to avoid the potential sound of the batteries moving inside, which is insignificant. The contact is perfect and super reliable.

    Javier

  20. #110

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarin View Post
    No, it does not. Neither the original. This kind of design, which is the simplest one, does not need it, and the only reason for it would be to avoid the potential sound of the batteries moving inside, which is insignificant. The contact is perfect and super reliable.

    Javier
    Wouldn't the spring help with impact? Have you done any drop test on the light? Did you update runtime with NiMH yet? Is the tail slightly chamfered? What titanium grade did you use for the prototype? You said alloy in the comments so I'm guessing grade 5 since it's the most common grade. Why don't people use grade 2? It has better thermal dissipation than grade 5.
    Last edited by Newguy2012; 07-26-2017 at 09:58 PM.

  21. #111
    Flashaholic* Barbarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pamplona- NA- Spain
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Newguy2012 View Post
    Wouldn't the spring help with impact? Have you done any drop test on the light? Did you update runtime with NiMH yet? Is the tail slightly chamfered? What titanium grade did you use for the prototype? You said alloy in the comments so I'm guessing grade 5 since it's the most common grade. Why don't people use grade 2? It has better thermal dissipation than grade 5.
    Hello, thanks for your questions.

    Yes, springs do help with contact as they will absorbe the changes in height of the batteries if they are smashed because of a violent shock. But in this case, as the length of the inner tube can be adjusted to the length of the battery set, then there will be no problem.

    Yes, we have done drop test, and there is no signs of damage or failure. Lens are retained with an o-ring that will prevent cracking on it even on the even of a strong shock, and the PCB is small in diameter and thick, impossible to break unless you use a hammer and a nail.

    Regarding the NiMH test, yes, we did it but we didn't saved the record... kind of stupid on our side. We will repeat it.

    The titanium prototypes were made as you said with grade 5, as long as it is already an overkill. Heat dissipation is not an issue on a 1 Watt flashlight designed the way this one is... specially using an XPL-HI driven at 350 mA. Grade 5 has higher availability, I mean, you can get almost in no time every shape, diameter, wall...

    Javier

  22. #112

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Newguy2012 View Post
    The light doesn't have any springs on the tail or head?
    Wow i didn't catch that on my mental twisty spec checklist, and he even posted a diagram. It's been a while, thanks for pointing that out.

    BUt I'm certain that if this design was good enough for NASA it'll be good enough for C.P. enthusaholics.

    ntm LED vs. incan no less.
    Last edited by leon2245; 07-27-2017 at 07:29 AM.
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

  23. #113
    Flashaholic* Barbarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pamplona- NA- Spain
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Quote Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
    Wow i didn't catch that on my mental twisty spec checklist, and he even posted a diagram. It's been a while, thanks for pointing that out.

    BUt I'm certain that if this design was good enough for NASA it'll be good enough for C.P. enthusaholics.

    ntm LED vs. incan no less.
    One of the most reliable lights I ever had in my life was an Infinity (pre CMG). Nowadays would look ultra dim, but on that time it was always on my pocket on my much more frequent then caving trips. One day I submerged one to -30 meters. It was not intended to, but that light was really bombproof based on its simplicity. Twisty, no springs... the only weak point was the unanodized threads, for me a critical point when it comes to aluminun. It suffered hundreds of drops, and other than being scratched and occasionally smashed batteries, it always worked. Alks still have some advantages, when using them they have an "autodim" function and they do "self recover"

    Javier

  24. #114
    Flashaholic* Barbarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pamplona- NA- Spain
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    I think you will probably like this pictures !




  25. #115
    *Flashaholic* Burgess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,928

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Just out of Curiosity --


    What bulb did the original use ? ? ?



    Let me guess . . . .

    # 222 ?


    # PR-4 ?

  26. #116
    Flashaholic* Barbarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pamplona- NA- Spain
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Just out of Curiosity --


    What bulb did the original use ? ? ?

    I can't tell you for sure... but I would say a PR type, as long as that is the one most used by Fulton, which is the real manufacturer (ACR was the contractor, but Fulton the manufacturer)

    Javier



    Let me guess . . . .

    # 222 ?


    # PR-4 ?

  27. #117
    Flashaholic* Barbarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pamplona- NA- Spain
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Just out of Curiosity --


    What bulb did the original use ? ? ?





    Let me guess . . . .

    # 222 ?


    # PR-4 ?
    I can't tell you for sure... but I would say a PR type, PR6 or PR4, as long as that is the one most used by Fulton, which is the real manufacturer (ACR was the contractor, but Fulton the manufacturer)

    Javier

  28. #118
    Flashaholic* Barbarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pamplona- NA- Spain
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    The project has been successfully funded, and still 11 days to finish!

    Thanks to everyone... now it is the moment of a "teaser". It's been inspired by the Apollo penlight, but it is made from titanium, has a 18650 battery. and instead of 350 mA on a warm LED is putting 1000 mA on a Neutral one. Is an early prototype anyway, perhaps more a concept of an ultracompact light, there are some mixed parts, different knurling...



    Javier

  29. #119
    Flashaholic Johnnyh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    255

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    Great news Javier! Again, I was the very first backer, so in honor of this, serial # 0001 will be great. You do fill the orders in sequential order, right? Ok...great! That Ti 18650 looks very nice! Hope you can load it with a High CRI Nichia 4500k.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

  30. #120
    Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    1,427

    Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

    I don't really understand how this all works now that it's backed and ready to run. How do we purchase one??
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •