HDS Systems        
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: You will love this NASA penlight

Flashaholic*

Default Re: You will love this NASA penlight

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I don't really understand how this all works now that it's backed and ready to run. How do we purchase one??
    the kickstarter campaign isnt over. meaning you can still back it and get a light.

That's what I'm asking? Is that the only way to buy one or will they be on his site?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Normally, once the product is fully backed and the campaign ends, the product becomes available to the general public on a website. . Sometimes it costs more but not always. Not sure of his post-campaign pricing plan. Hopefully, Javier will chime in soon for you.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    Normally, once the product is fully backed and the campaign ends, the product becomes available to the general public on a website. . Sometimes it costs more but not always. Not sure of his post-campaign pricing plan. Hopefully, Javier will chime in soon for you.
    Thanks. That's what I was hoping for. Not sure how stuff works with the Kickstarter thing.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Not sure how stuff works with the Kickstarter thing.
    The "kickstarter thing" stands alone. Its a singular event. Someone or some company announces a product or project, folks can buy in if they want to support it, and if enough people buy in the project is considered a success, the money is collected, the widgets are made and the folks get the reward for the level of support they bought in at. After that, its over as far as kickstarter is concerned. Now the "idea" is that the profits from the kickstarter run would be used to fund further production of whatever widget is in question, but there's no guarantee of that. Its all up to the person or company running the campaign.

yep! I've backed a few kickstarter campaigns over the years, and have never had a back experience yet....

Great news Javier! Again, I was the very first backer, so in honor of this, serial # 0001 will be great. You do fill the orders in sequential order, right? Ok...great! That Ti 18650 looks very nice! Hope you can load it with a High CRI Nichia 4500k.
    The nichia 219bv1 with the extra r9? The r9080 spec. I heard great things about them but sourcing them is always the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Newguy2012 View Post
    The nichia 219bv1 with the extra r9? The r9080 spec. I heard great things about them but sourcing them is always the problem.
    That would be my choice if anyone should ask!
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Default You will love this NASA penlight

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    ....Now the "idea" is that the profits from the kickstarter run would be used to fund further production of whatever widget is in question, but there's no guarantee of that. Its all up to the person or company running the campaign.
    Good point. Looking back at the successfully funded Kickstarter campaigns I helped, many have indeed gone to mass production but some have not. Thanks.

Great news Javier! Again, I was the very first backer, so in honor of this, serial # 0001 will be great. You do fill the orders in sequential order, right? Ok...great! That Ti 18650 looks very nice! Hope you can load it with a High CRI Nichia 4500k.
    I have been using the prototype for night hiking the past days, and I must say that because of its size and beam angle is really a great light for those purposes. The circuits I'm using has three levels 1000, 350 and 50 mAh, and most of the time I was on the medium level and it is enough light for walking at medium speed. I also do think that a flashlight like this should had a neutral white high CRI LED.

That's what I'm asking? Is that the only way to buy one or will they be on his site?
    Once the goal has been reached you can still "overfund" and get your penlight until the project is closed. Yes, we do hope to go into mass production, but you can be sure that it that they will be a different product. I'm not saying better or worse, just different, because we do think that our backers deserve the exclusivity of a special and unique limited series.

Here you are the runtime graphic with NiMH batteries. I limited the test to 6 hours because I thought the batteries would not last that much... fool of me.

Bravo on the Apollo penlight!

-Mayo
    Torch Collection

*Where fact is fiction and TV, reality*

Extremely cool, but I would like to know how the production model would be "different". With so much support I can't imagine these not being a hot seller... so what is this difference? Just curious. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Foreman View Post
    Extremely cool, but I would like to know how the production model would be "different". With so much support I can't imagine these not being a hot seller... so what is this difference? Just curious. Thanks!
    Thank you. What I want to mean with "being different" is that it will have some changes, not important, but the ones who have supported the project deserve having something that will be different, unique.

"You will love this NASA penlight's runtime graph."
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarin View Post
    Thank you. What I want to mean with "being different" is that it will have some changes, not important, but the ones who have supported the project deserve having something that will be different, unique.
    How about the date engraving? Only the lights for original backers have the moon landing date? Just a thought.

Where do I go to get this?

Quote Originally Posted by STREAMHAWAII View Post
    Kickstarter, search "apollo penlight" , you should find it.

Quote Originally Posted by STREAMHAWAII View Post
    Just click on the link at the very top of post number 1 in this thread.

Sorry if I missed it, but does it have a clip?

No...no clip. But I'll l bet somebody here will figure out something that will fit!

Extremely cool. I just became a backer! The video nearly brought a tear to my eye. I have been interested in the space program since I was a kid, and grew up loving the Apollo 13 movie. I look forward to my light!
    Last edited by Randall Foreman; 08-04-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
    "You will love this NASA penlight's runtime graph."
    Then here you are more: In this case we allowed the alkaline to rest 3 hours when they seemed to be completely depleted. The capacity to self recover is one of the most interesting on the nowadays almost disregarded alkalines.

How about the date engraving? Only the lights for original backers have the moon landing date? Just a thought.
    We thought about that possibility, but we are thinking others. We will keep you informed via survey.

Javier

ASTM B117, SALT SPRAY TEST

We are testing one Barbolight V04 and samples of the Apollo made from 316 stainless steel, one brass alloy (not the production one, but a new one we wanted to test. Let's see what we have in 100 hours.

Javier

We thought about that possibility, but we are thinking others. We will keep you informed via survey.

Javier
    I personally would prefer to have this year's date on it. Like the OP has stated, this isn't so much an exact replica as it is a continuation of sorts. I think having the moon landing dates would be cheesy. Maybe have a special edition some day with an incandescent bulb and the moon landing dates as a closer replica?

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Foreman View Post
    I personally would prefer to have this year's date on it. Like the OP has stated, this isn't so much an exact replica as it is a continuation of sorts. I think having the moon landing dates would be cheesy. Maybe have a special edition some day with an incandescent bulb and the moon landing dates as a closer replica?
    That decision has been made. There was a poll conducted of the backers on kickstarter and the moon landing date was selected. Sounds like getting a current date on a later production light may be an option, but the lights sold through the kickstarter campaign are going to have the moon landing date.

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    That decision has been made. There was a poll conducted of the backers on kickstarter and the moon landing date was selected. Sounds like getting a current date on a later production light may be an option, but the lights sold through the kickstarter campaign are going to have the moon landing date.
    I'm cool with it I suppose. Can't wait to have my little space light! I plan to use it on the job. If this thing breaks or a part goes bad inside, will it be repairable? Is it more of a collectors piece that shouldn't be used on the job?

Then here you are more: In this case we allowed the alkaline to rest 3 hours when they seemed to be completely depleted. The capacity to self recover is one of the most interesting on the nowadays almost disregarded alkalines.

Are the colors reversed here then? Blue alkaline, white NiMH?
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast