Are premium Surefire's potted?

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
I've seen this question asked a lot in numerous threads but no definite answers. I would understand if the G2X line isn't but are the more premium lights potted? Such as the defenders, backups, Vampire, new Aviator, etc..?

I really would hope that SF has jumped onboard to potting their electronics. I don't see any downside to doing so. Especially at the price point.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire lights do not feature potted electronics. It's one of my gripes with them. Why pay the premium fee for a US made Surefire flashlight when you could get an Elzetta or Malkoff, which are also American made and have potted electronics?

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Surefire lights do not feature potted electronics. It's one of my gripes with them. Why pay the premium fee for a US made Surefire flashlight when you could get an Elzetta or Malkoff, which are also American made and have potted electronics?
Darn that stinks. Even the newer models?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless something has drastically changed in the past few months, I'd say Surefires are well assembled but certainly not with potted electronics. If something had changed, I think we would have seen press releases, or at least a selling point on their website.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read in a review somewhere that Surefire applies conformal coating to their boards. Is that less durable than potting?

Not sure what conformal coating means. But whatever it is, if it's just a coating, I don't think it's meant to be an alternative to potting.
Potting consists of encapsulating (submerging if you will) the electronic components and solder joints in fluid epoxy that eventually cures and harden, forming a solid block. This makes the electronics much more impact resistant.

I wonder if SF weapon lights or mountable lights are potted. Even if they're not, I've seen pics of their drivers. Their components and joints just seem more robust. They even do away with the typical LED lead wires and use contact pins. That effectively eliminates the solder joints to the emitter board, which often are a weak spot, even in lights with potted drivers.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still waiting for a good AVS Head torture test. All I've seen with the AVS is a watermelon attack. They won't even hammer nails with it!!

Edit: The watermelon beat down was with the M60 and the Alpha, not the AVS.

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
If my life depended on something I'm bringing a Malkoff 100% of the time over a Surefire

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd also like to see that, but I won't be volunteering my AVS heads for the test. Recently, I did see a video of a guy disassembling his AVS head under water. I know, I know, Dave does that on the Elzetta propaganda blog, but he used the sealed Malkoff head. The guy I'm talking about removed the lens retention ring and the lens, fully exposing the emitter to the water. I thought that was crazy. I asked him about it two weeks after the fact and he said it was still working. As far as impact resistance, I can't see how the AVS would differ much from the M60, especially since Elzetta has been so heavily influenced by Gene Malkoff's designs.

I'm still waiting for a good AVS Head torture test.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If my life depended on something I'm bringing a Malkoff 100% of the time over a Surefire

+1

I won't knowingly go into the dark without a Malkoff, even if life is not on the line. Sometimes I play with other lights during night hikes, but a Hound Dog is always close at hand.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still waiting for a good AVS Head torture test. All I've seen with the AVS is a watermelon attack. They won't even hammer nails with it!!

I think it's a good bet the potted electronics will survive torture testing, as will the light body itself.
The weakest points will be the optic and tailcap if other than the standard twisty.

Of course, the cell/cells can fail too.

With some exceptions, the bodies of most of the better Chinese brands are robust enough to take a lot of abuse as well. It's their unpotted electronics and switch buttons that usually fail.

TCY

Enlightened
I have always assumed that SF lights come with potted electronics, they are known for durability after all. I know ZL lights are potted but they probably can't take abuse like an Elzetta does.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lol guys, there was a torture test a while back that someone shared in the "Elzetta: The industry's best kept secret" thread. Basically consisted of a dude throwing his Bravo as high as 50ft (maybe it was 100?) several dozen times. Bravo survived, and was fully functional except for the tailcap which took some damage. I think it still worked though.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll still go with HDS. Shot with a .380 that launched it 20 yards. Still worked. Had the electronics not been potted, it would not have survived that kind of force.
P1017102.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1017104.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nichia!

Banned
No to HDS and NO to Surefire!
And No to any other lights on the planet!!
Yes for fully potted lights!!!
Long live Malkoff!!!!