How many spare batteries do you have?

Filament

Newly Enlightened
As a relative newcomer to CPF and quality flashlights, I seem to have rapidly progressed into addiction. I have 2 G2's, an E2e, a 9P, and a G2Z, all except the E2e have the HOLA's installed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif.

As a supply for these lights, I have 2 boxes of Surefire 123's (24), 25 Battery Station 123's, and maybe 6 or so miscellaneous Energizer, Duracell, etc. lying around.

My question is - how many spare batteries do you typically try to keep on-hand? Any special storage accomodations?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now, i have 4 full boxes of SF123s. They just sit in my drawer, no special storage. Also playing with the Pilas and rechargable 123s, so right now, all my lights (nearly all LEDs) are practically free to run. Only my M6 requires me to break into my stash of lithium primaries.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I have about 20 123's floating around for my surefires, 12 of which are in two surefire sc1's (spares carriers), along with a 120 lumen and 65 lumen lamp assemblies (came with the g2z) (LA). Of the remaining 8, 4 are in the Walmart (Big W in Australia) Waterproof Match Containers (which fit two each). All are Surefire Brand SF123's. I also now have half a dozen odd 'dead' batteries that have seen a good service, I think a KL1 will get afew more miles out of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How many do I try to keep on hand?
One of the matchbox containers goes wherever my e1e goes (the other's in my emergency kit along with my inova 24/7), as does the sc1 with the 120 lumen LA go wherever my g2z is. The second carrier is a spare, and a really nifty way to store batteries and lamp. When I get a spare bulb for my e1e I plan to have one SF123 and the bulb in bubble wrapper which should fit nicely into the match holders...

I will update my arrangements when my package arrives from Chris at Meridian Tactical..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif I could tell you now, but i'd have to blind you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I decree again i'm not a fan of this non-export policy by Surefire, double handling wastes precious playing time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cam

D

**DONOTDELETE**

CR123 3-volt Lithium cells

2 in a stainless steel container in trouser pocket
2 in an ASP Time Capsule is suitcoat breast pocket
6 in a flat plastic container in briefcase (goes in coat pocket when in Big Apple)
72-pack in gear bag
72-pack in office desk
72-pack in home office
72-pack in each personal vehicle
2 72-pack in issued vehicle

Carried 5 72-pack containers in gear bag in my most recent trip overseas.

Heavily armed LEO at Heathrow Airport: "Why is it that you carry so many batteries?"

Looking at the SF M3, E2e, & Classic Series weaponlight on his H&K 9mm shoulder weapon, I coyly asked '...why is it that you don't?" and winked. His cohorts began to smirk and laugh.

Miffed and slightly embarrassed, he quipped "Well, I'll just have to confiscate them."

Their boss and a very good long-time friend grabbed my gearbag as he briskly shook my hand, said to the young lad "no, you won't," and asked me about my grandkids as we walked off.

I told my friend to hold for a minute as I reached into my bag and gave each of the three young LEOs a 12-pack of SF 123s as I wished them a happy new year and thanked them for doing their job.

Each of them shook my hand briskly.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are cheaper by the 1/2 Gross (72) at surefire than most places (The 123)
Sam's club has the D,C,AND AA in dozen boxes cheap too.
I go to swap meets and get lithum AA rechargeables for $2.50
they are 1800mah. My answer to your question
is you need to have a 1 year supply for everything on hand. Heck, it's only money, your flashlights won't play without them and if the electric company fails,(Mine did for a WEEK after a tornado) you might just need them

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened
Strategos Batteries are cheaper than Surefire.

Anyway, the Hurricane does a good job, better than plain boxes because they keep the batteries in place. Spares carriers are great too.

One Spares carrier and Hurricane for each vehicle, home and work seems to work well. Refill as needed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick glance in the Surefire drawer shows that I have three unopened boxes (of 12) Surefire batteries, as well as two SC-1's, three SC-2's, and one SC-3 with spare bulbs and full of 6 (or 4 for the SC-3) SF batteries. There is another full SC-1 in my bug-out bag with my D2, and several pairs of SF batteries in APS film containers.

After seeing them recommended numerous times here on CPF, I bought three of the orange waterproof match containers at Wally World today. How come everybody likes these? I'm almost ready to throw them in the garbage. They are downright huge for just two 123 batteries, the batteries rattle around inside, and are a PITA IMO. The APS film containers hold two batteries together very tightly, and take up a lot less space than the match containers. If you don't have an APS camera, any photo shop will probably give you a handful for free if you ask.

I also have several dozen each AAA and AA batteries as well as a half dozen lithium AA's on hand.

-Keith

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have about 20 some around, meaning that it is about time to restock. The good thing about 123's is that they have a long shelf life so you don't usually have to worry about them going bad.

-Mike

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GarminGPSMap said:
"are a PITA IMO"

What is PITA? People for the Inhumane Treatment of Animals?:p

[/ QUOTE ]

Pain in the A$$. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

drs2000

Newly Enlightened
About 400 AAs, 100 AAAs, 60 C, 12 D, 120 CR2016, 40 CR2032, 100 CR927, 12 9V, 120 AG-13 or whatever. 4 123s. (No lights that use these, yet. Still gotta place a Batterystation order, tho.)

Assorted SLA, Li-ion and Nimh batts. Working on embeddable li-ion and Nimh chargers for light projects.

Buying in bulk really cuts the $$, and store 'em cool.

No that I've retired the mini-m*gs, you'd think I wouldn't need the AAs so much, but all the converts I have suck AAs hard.. Nice output, tho.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DRS the crazed.

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Xrunner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I used to keep a ton of AA batts around but now I'm pretty much all rechargeable for AA, AAA, C and D.

I have a charger at home and in my truck so I have fresh batts wherever I go. In most applications, AA 2200 mAH NiMH are much better than Alkaline. Esp for my 2-way radios I use. MOre power for longer.

Filament

Newly Enlightened
kogatana - now that's alot of batteries! Glad to hear you helped the LEO's out, that's cool.

I've got several of the orange match containers for slipping in a coat pocket for easy spares. To keep them from rattling, I went to the local Home Depot, fiddled around with different washers until I got the right diameter and thickness, then superglued them in the top and bottom of the containers. No more rattle, and the positive contact on the battery slips into the washer cutout perfectly.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too many. I like rechargeables. I use a Pila 168S in my L4, and carry a couple pair of 123s, and sometimes a spare 168S. SC2 in the door of my truck holds 6 123s, and a N2 LA for my "Z3T". Got 20+ 123s in a little Pelican 1010 case at home, and buy a new 12 pack of AAA and AA whenever the last pack is half empty.
I have a pair of Pila 150S that can run my Z3, and a Stinger and UltraStinger that are also rechargeable.
L4 and Stinger are getting most of my use right now, so I'm not actually using up any batteries...

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spare batteries? Somewhere around 40+ dozen, from tiny, little button cell watch batteries up to Ds, and including 9v., N cells, lith AAs, 123s, etc.

I keep some of the batts in an airtight container in the frig, but it would take up too much space for all of them, so most of the batts are kept within easy reach in battery "organizers."

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chee- thanks flashfan- I don't have any spare N's or button cells- I forgot about those dinky lights I have but they work when you need them in tight spots. Got plenty of the larger batteries plus rechargables. But my Keymate takes 4 buttons. Got to keep up with my "Have 1 years worth" plan just in case the bad guys get the electric company....
Gotta have some for your portable radio too..

NikolaTesla

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Lights: CAREFUL: the last one is NOT UL approved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STREAMLIGHTS: KEY MATE, TTL-2D, TTL-3C, TL3-LED(5watt), STINGER XT-HP,

TTL-2L, TL-3AA (1 watt LED). BRINKMAN LEGEND LX. VECTOR SPORT LIGHT 1 MILLION CP.

SUREFIRE: 6P, L6 (5watt)LED. Cygolite 16 watt dual beam.

MAGLITE 2AA, 3C. Acro X990 HID. NikolaTesla 1.5 KW 1.5 Million Volt Arc light (I have Torus blown 15KW style primary Arc & 175 amp/ 12.5 KV High Q rated .068uf resonating capacitor)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Keith,

I don't know if WallyMart is the same as Big W, however I have found that the battery holders are a little inconsistent in fit. Of the two I have, one came with a washer and the other one didn't To make the one with the washer a perfect fit, I just put a bit of bubble wrapper at the top. Two that I got my mates also had a 50% perfect perfect fit rate. Oh well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif for $1.96 Australian it's still excellent. The size doesn't worry me.

Geez, I've gotta get some more SF123's! But I bet that shipping 72 to Australia would be a pricy affair...

Cam

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
This is what I have as my reserve stash:

In my room:
8 AAA's
36 AA's
8 C's
8 D's
12 9V's
50 Batterystation 123's
24 L91's

In my truck:
12 Surefire 123's
4 L91's

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I only have 8 123A that have never been in a light. Two in my truck, 6 here at home.

I only have one light (G2) that I use regularly. I have numerous modded M*gs (probably upwards of 2 dozen batts involved in various lights!) and don't really sweat it.

I have about 12 AAA fresh. My Pager eats them, then they have plenty of power left for an ARC AAA.

I have lots of AA, at least 4 dozen fresh, and dozens more that will run some stuff a while longer. I'm up to a dozen or so NimH now, and my Hotrod MM runs on them. Also several 4AA lights are NimH.

My next most used size is C. I have about 16 fresh C about.

I don't have many or even any fresh D. I just don't use many.

Compared to the average CPFer, I'm battery poor!

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps a more significant question than how many, is how much? How much "light time" do you have? Instead of putting a lot of my resources in CR123 cells, I have two solar panels (luckily free from an acquaintance), two 12 volt deep cycle batteries, a few 12 volt powerable NiMH chargers, and about 40 NiMH AA cells.

Thanks.