H6024 LED Conversion Questions

FastTurtle

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for the specs for the H6024 and discovered that the output was pitiful at 27/35 CP meaning 340/440 lumens. No wonder I can't see while riding the bike at night.

Found an interesting DOT certified Retrofit lamp that supposedly produces 3000/3800 lumens from https://www.ѕuреrbrіghtlеdѕ.com/mоr...t-dоt-аpprоvеd-lеd-hеаdlіght-соnvеrѕіоn/3149/

Just rechecked the Information and it states "DOT Approved":shakehead really liked the idea as it's a drop in replacement.

So glad I found this forum as it just saved me a ton of money as this isn't road legal and as my Google-Fu isn't very strong (I'm not even a grasshopper though I do tend to eat them:D). Anyone have a DOT Legal conversion

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just rechecked the Information and it states "DOT Approved":shakehead really liked the idea as it's a drop in replacement.

:welcome:

Glad you compared what they'd claimed with the knowledge available. It saved you money and maybe even your life!

Now, you could spend a LOT of money (but then again, get a lot of headlamp) on the JW Speaker Model 8790 Adaptive. You could spend a bit less on the 8700 Evolution.

There's also the Peterson and Truck-Lite for motorcycle applications. Those last two, like the JW Speaker lamps, are certified by the manufacturer as being compliant with the law-- not said by a vendor to be "DOT approved"-- and they're right around the same price as the toy you'd (briefly) considered.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Welcome to this board.

Don't know where you found those CP figures for the H6024, but they're not correct. The burner in a regular 65/35w H6024 gives 138/60 cp (high/low beam), that is 1735/754 lumens, but that info doesn't really tell you anything about how much light reaches the road and how it's distributed.

Forget that pretend-headlamp trinket from StupidDimLEDs with its bogus lumen figures and pretend DOT certification. There are good, legitimate LED drop-in replacements for an H6024. The ultimate is the 8790 Adaptive from J.W. Speaker; maker's info here and demo movie here. It's a very expensive headlamp, but less expensive than a crash. If that's out of spending range, the Peterson 701C is the best non-adaptive LED 7" round headlamp for motorcycle usage, followed by the Truck-Lite item. All of these are direct drop-in replacements for H6024, all are very well made in USA, all are legitimately DOT-certified.

Last edited:

FastTurtle

Newly Enlightened
Virgil: The numbers I used are what's published by Wagner/Philips for their H6024 sealed beam (minus the extra zeros typo -xxx). From what you're saying, I should be seeing the same if not better then even a cheap Sylvania H4 lamp. If that's the case, then either I need a new bulb - this one's at least 5 years/10k miles old or I need to begin replacing the entire harness even though it's a PITA since the long-term solves all the niggling little issues:thumbsup:

Now all I need to do is find a better 6024 then what Wagner/Philips specs offer.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hate to double reply but you got me thinking and looking. Found a replacement lamp from "Grainger" that's a GE bulb with 4500 lumens at 65w - sounds good to me but "I Know Nutink". Is this a realistic output for a 150hr Bulb life?

It's a standard GE sealed beam halogen. They're probably adding the output of both major and minor filaments, but even that is suspect (not that the lamp would last very long at all with both filaments burning. It's got a 65W major filament-- if it performed as well as an H9 (no!), that would be 2100 of the 4500 lumens. That leaves 2400lm for the 35W minor filament. This sanity check bounced at the memory bank.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Virgil: The numbers I used are what's published by Wagner/Philips for their H6024 sealed beam

I don't doubt that, but they are erroneous numbers. So is that "4500 lumens" baloney you found on Grainger for GE's standard H6024.

From what you're saying, I should be seeing the same if not better then even a cheap Sylvania H4 lamp

Whoah, wait, what? Where did H4 bulbs enter the picture? We were comparing H6024 sealed beams (not H4s) and LED headlamps (also not H4s), and -- again -- lumen figures like this are really not very helpful for describing headlamp performance.

Now all I need to do is find a better 6024 then what Wagner/Philips specs offer.

Confused again. You started out asking about LED headlamps. You linked to a bad one...Alaric and I linked you to good ones...why are we still talking about H6024 sealed beams? There aren't any good ones.

FastTurtle

Newly Enlightened
Wasn't sure of those GE Numbers - was Why I asked

Sorry Virgil: Yes I did start out looking at an LED headlamp and was glad I'd found your comments about the difference between DOT "Approved" and "Certified". Kept me from making a big mistake.

On the Sylvania Comment, was in regards to the published specs by Philips/Wagner of 35,000/27,000cp for their stock H6024.:laughing: Wouldn't you love to have a "LEGAL" headlamp with that kind of power for the 60/35w they state? Figured that was a cut-n-paste type with the zero's so dropped em and came up with 35/27cp or 440/340 lumens. You provided numbers showing better then even a cheap H4 conversion.

Have to figure out what the issue is with the headlamp as it's (1) old bulb or (2) electrical gremlins so will wait on an LED until I solve other problems. Yes I'd love those Adaptive LED's from JD Speaker but - Yea Ghads! fix the other problems first - if possible - before spending that much for something that may not solve the problem.