AA, AAA Ni-MH question

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
I was going to buy some NiMH rechargeables for a couple lights and a portable gps. Should I get the higher capacity like the eneloop pro or amazonbasics high capacity or will the regular ones be good?
I've have always used alkaline in the past.
Thanks

night.hoodie

Enlightened
I was going to buy some NiMH rechargeables for a couple lights and a portable gps. Should I get the higher capacity like the eneloop pro or amazonbasics high capacity or will the regular ones be good?
Thanks

Standard Eneloops are a far better value for at least a few reasons.

• much less expensive than Eneloop Pros
  • much more resiliant to abuse (overcharge, over discharge, and physical abuse) than Eneloop Pros
  • have many, many more recharge cycles than Eneloop Pros

Any cell that has been revealed to be rewrapped Eneloop will perform the same as an Eneloop, with all its wonderful qualities, and is often less expensive.

Eneloop Pros are really for special cases when that sliver of extra capacity is absolutely a necessity. In most cases, imho, Eneloop Pros are no more appropriate than Standard Eneloops.

YMMV

Cekid

Newly Enlightened
Any cell that has been revealed to be rewrapped Eneloop will perform the same as an Eneloop, with all its wonderful qualities, and is often less expensive.

and you have rewrapped eneloop pro as well, they are less expensive as well than original eneloop pro...

i don't how much difference in number of cycles anyone will get in the real life...2100 cycles for the latest white eneloop is more or less marketing numbers...

but, at the end of the day i do agree that if you are a frequent user ( meaning daily user ) white eneloop or amazon basic are better choice...

night.hoodie

Enlightened
i don't how much difference in number of cycles anyone will get in the real life...2100 cycles for the latest white eneloop is more or less marketing numbers...

In the real world use cases, the number of recharge cycles makes a massive difference! It is money! And the advertised recharge cycles of Eneloops are NOT marketing numbers, and if anything, the numbers are conservative with Standard Eneloops. Eneloop Pros advertise 500 cycles, but it is difficult to realize even half that because they are so fragile, build resistence and exhibit voltage sag.

but, at the end of the day i do agree that if you are a frequent user ( meaning daily user ) white eneloop or amazon basic are better choice...

Not all Amazon Basics are rewrapped Japanese Eneloops manufactured at FDK Corp. Some are Chinese, and not as good as those "Made in Japan."

Best value I am aware of is the Ladda brand from IKEA. These have been revealed to be Standard Eneloops, and are somewhat less expensive than namebrand Panasonic Eneloop.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP for the devices you need these cells for the regular latest Eneloop NiMH AA and AAA's will be just fine and should last you for years. There are not as many charge cycles in the Pro's. I use the AA Pro's in my 4xAA TN4A lights as to get advertised specs out of them AA NiMH cells with no less than 2500mah capacity are required thus I had no problem paying the premium for the Pro's.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, the number of recharge cycles is a non-issue. If you recharge the cells once a day, Pros will last for almost two years before having to be replaced. If you are recharging them several times a day, standard Eneloops become just as attractive, but if you are going through that many cells in your lights in a single day, you really need to look at lights that take a larger cell.

Here is how the economics break down: The charger is a sunk cost - no matter which cell you get it is a one time expense. Using any NiMH cell, by the time you have reached the end of the useful life of the cell, you have saved more than enough to pay for the charger and the initial purchase of the cells, and for purchasing the next set as well. So for all intents and purposes, the Life Cycle Cost is the same for both types of NiMH cells. You are not looking at comparing the cost of different types of Eneloops against each other, but the cost of any Eneloops against the cost of primary cells you would otherwise be using.

I personally use the Amazon Basics cells. Because I wanted the extra capacity, I purchased the LSD high capacity ones, which pretty much everyone agrees are re-badged Eneloop Pro/XXX cells. And since if I wasn't using NiMH cells I would be using lithium primaries, I am saving enough that I could have the NiMH cells gold plated and would still come out ahead.

Cekid

Newly Enlightened
eneloop pro are good for at least 200 or maybe 300 cycles...if you are charging them once a week it is next 4 or 5 years...after that period of time one less trip to mcdonalds will buy you another case or two of eneloops...2100 is just a number...whatever we do they will be in a sorry state after several years due to physical degradation...people in battery/flashlight community are over dramatize things much...we will spend tons of money on unnecessary things during the next 4 or 5 years but sky is falling if we have to buy another batch of eneloops after 4 or 5 years...

@night.hoodie
you are wrong about ikea ladda...they have aa 2450 and aaa 900, they are some version of eneloop pro, and aaa 500 and aa 1000, they are some version of eneloop lite...

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
In the real world use cases, the number of recharge cycles makes a massive difference! It is money! And the advertised recharge cycles of Eneloops are NOT marketing numbers, and if anything, the numbers are conservative with Standard Eneloops. Eneloop Pros advertise 500 cycles, but it is difficult to realize even half that because they are so fragile, build resistence and exhibit voltage sag.

Not all Amazon Basics are rewrapped Japanese Eneloops manufactured at FDK Corp. Some are Chinese, and not as good as those "Made in Japan.".

How do I tell which Amazon basics are not the Chinese ones?

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones made in Japan state so in the details...at least they did when I bought.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks

Go to Target, ChinaMart, CVS, Toy-R-Us, Walgreens or anywhere else and buy a quad of Duracell Ion Core AAs. Charge them up to full and see if they work well in your GPS device first, before you go spending more money.

They're pretty much the same thing as the Eneloop XX/Pros and/or the Fujitsu Hi Caps. You can find them for as little as $9 per quad and you won't be blowing a bunch of money if they don't power your GPS for some reason, very well.

I also like the silver foil Energizer 2300mAh 'made in Japan' with green fiberboard washer on the positive button. You can find them in supermarkets.

Chris

keithy

Enlightened
Hey - I've come into this thread late, but if you use your NiMHs for a handheld GPS, I have found that with my various Garmin handhelds, I get a few more hours of battery life using Eneloop pros compared with the standard eneloops or even my Japanese made Energizer 2300mah NiMHs.

This can come in handy as it might mean you take fewer batteries with you on a longer camping trip (although for very long trips I take the non-rechargeable Energizer Ultra Lithiums that give me twice the battery life of NiMHs but are more expensive and not reuseable).

For my Garmin handhelds when using NiMHs you have to switch the software battery setting manually from Alkaline to NiMH so that the battery warning indicator is more accurate.

I've been testing some of the new Japanese made Ikea Ladda white 2450mAh AAs as they appear to be similar to the Eneloop Pros but cheaper. I've used them in my Garmin eTrex and Oregon GPS so far, and they do give longer battery life compared with my standard Eneloops.

maniac78

Newly Enlightened
I was going to buy some NiMH rechargeables for a couple lights and a portable gps. Should I get the higher capacity like the eneloop pro or amazonbasics high capacity or will the regular ones be good? I've have always used alkaline in the past. Thanks
The alkaline batteries are nearly half the price of lithium, so if you're using them for low-drain devices they're your best bet. I can recommend Duracell Quantum AA Alkaline - CR tested a total of 13 alkaline batteries and this one is the best. Rayovac Fusion Advanced AA Alkaline or CVS Max AA Alkaline should be good for you too.

Bucur

Enlightened
I prefer Eneloop Pros to regular Eneloops only for high current applications. For example, my Surefire Titan Plus calls for the additional current rate that the Pros are capable of supplying. Other than such high power applications, the additional capacity of the Pros over the regulars does not make much sense because the Pros self-discharge at a higher rate than the regulars. Both are LSD batteries but unless the entire capacity of the cell is to be used rather quickly, the regulars can close the gap due to their superior low self-discharge rate. Besides, their performance starts to deteriorate much later.

IMHO, a properly maintained set of white Eneloops is second to none when it comes to reliability and peace of mind in the long run, as long as the application does not call for higher currents than they are designed for.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the higher capacity cells in high drain stuff as the Goal Zero charger and flashlights. I have nearly 2 dozen white Eneloops scattered in devices, some of them are low drain but work well. My T7 and HP7 are both battery hogs so even though the AAA Eneloop Pros only have a little more capacity than regular LSD cells they still do a great job at keeping the light brighter for longer. I find myself replacing 750mAh cells more quickly than the 950mAh cells (which the last test in the C9000, revealed 955-963mAh across the board with all 8 cells) so they are performing really well.

I certainly wouldn't stockpile a bunch of Eneloop Pros unless you like to replace them soon. I just buy what i need them for and have extra regular Eneloops laying around so i got something to work with. I still have the Goal Zero cells dated 2013 (one of them is from 2012) and they work adequately and managed to free up my Energizers 2300mAh LSD cells that was previously in an old maglite. So at this point they are not getting much use.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
and you have rewrapped eneloop pro as well, they are less expensive as well than original eneloop pro...

I'm using IKEA Ladda 2450, which my be rewrapped eneloop pro. Locally they're $9/pack vs. $27 for pro. They're even half the cost of regular eneloops here. If IKEA still sold the 2000 mah batteries I'd get those but for the price it's a no-brainer on the 2450.

I use moonlight and low most frequently. Since I have multiple lights in rotation, each battery lasts several months. This means I'm only charging 4 times per year. Maybe a bit higher since I get more use when I'm camping. Even at 6 charges each per year I'm only anticipating about 60 cycles after 10 years. They'll die of old age before anything else. So I went with the cheapest price and those happen to be the 2450 here. It's pure fluke that those happen to give me the longest run time, which is great when I'm off the grid.