Surefire E1e w/KL4: Tailcap question

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I got an E1e, KL4 and a clickie tailcap. I put it all together and wow this thing is awsome.

My question is:

When I use the standard tailcap (Non-Clickie) it is noticibly brighter than when I use the clickie. When I slowly press on the clickie, the light will change brightness slightly and finally settle when fully engaged.

Is this normal with the clickies since there are more components? More resistance? Or do I have a defective tailcap?

Thank you!

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some Z57s have a problem with excess electrical resistance. You don't see it on two cells because the regulator boosts the current and hides the problem, you are paying for it with runtime though. It becomes apparent on a single cell because the regulator is unable to overcome the excess resistance.

Fortunately, it is relatively easy to fix. The info is here, try a search on "Z57". If you're not comfortable doing the mod yourself, I can do it for you for $10 postpaid. This would include the resistance fix as well as the spacer mod to greatly improve the click action of the switch.

Peter

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened
Ok, thanks. I'll ship it out monday. I just read the thread of yours after a search. People were brutal, yikes. I personally think all that was uncalled for. It's your information that you discovered through hours of hard work and others just want it. I think its up to you to reveal it. (whats the Colonel's secret recipe? lol) Anyway, thanks for the service.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I put the Z52 on my L4 and TW4. The Z52 should give me a little longer runtime with the L4, and brighter output and added runtime with the TW4.

I don't like the Z57 on one and two cell flashlights. It is very difficult to operate one-handed, with the short bodies. I have arthritis. Found that the Z57 works much better for me on the UBH. I have two UBH's set up with Z57's and KL1's. The added resistance of the Z57 doesn't bother me with the lower power consumption of the KL1.

oldgrandpajack

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GarminGPSMap said:
Ok, thanks. I'll ship it out monday. I just read the thread of yours after a search. People were brutal, yikes. I personally think all that was uncalled for. It's your information that you discovered through hours of hard work and others just want it. I think its up to you to reveal it. (whats the Colonel's secret recipe? lol) Anyway, thanks for the service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Garmin- I'd have to admit that I was taken back by some of the responses I got with my initial offer. The sense of entitlement that some people demonstrate is quite amazing to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif At any rate, that's ancient history, and I don't hold any grudges. All the information to perform this mod yourself is here on the board.

[ QUOTE ]
oldgrandpajack said:

I don't like the Z57 on one and two cell flashlights. It is very difficult to operate one-handed, with the short bodies. I have arthritis.
oldgrandpajack

[/ QUOTE ]

oldgrandpajack- Why don't you send me one of your Z57s (the worst one) and I'll "fix" it for free for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I just can't imagine how the twistie is easier for you, especially with arthritis. A properly functioning Z57 is the smoothest, easiest to operate switch I have ever used.

Peter