Streamlight TwinTask lumens rating

Mark2

Enlightened
After testing a Streamlight TwinTask 3C for a few days, I've come to the conclusion, that the lumens rating of this light is especially far off. The actual output is less than half of what you would expect if you take Surefire as a reference. This is rather surprising, as the lumens ratings of the Streamlight Task Lights seam to be rather accurate and in line with the Surefire values. Are the ratings of all the TwinTask lights so exaggerated? Are the Lithium models any better?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, from what I can tell, they are pretty close. (Admittedly, I don't have a light meter.)

However, Streamlight chose to widen the useable light pattern, making the light hot spot itself not as hot, more a flood type light than a spot or tactical light. (Thus the type and placement of the on/off). If you think of the beam as a 2 dimensional object the and use a number pattern across the beam its more like 1-1-2-2-2-3-5-3-2-2-2-1-1 versus most Surefires 1-1-1-1-1-2-2-9-2-2-1-1-1-1-1.

That said, I always take the manufacturers statements with a grain of salt and rely on the independant reviews I can find around here for more info. (LED Museum, Flashlightreview.com, Brocks flashlight page, etc.)

Bill

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all the Streamlight TTL's. And stingers too. I think there numbers are exagerated but they are extremely good quality flashlights. Brightness ain't everything. Quality versus cost is very high at Steamlight. Durability also matters. I use my TTL-2L every day at my job and have a lot of other more expensive/brighter lights but this works out good. There is no perfect light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
NikolaTesla
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Lights: ******************* CAREFULL: The last one is NOT UL approved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STREAMLIGHTS: KEY MATE, TTL-2D, TTL-3C, TL3-LED(5watt), STINGER XT-HP,
TTL-2L, TL-3AA (1 watt LED). BRINKMAN LEGEND LX. VECTOR SPORT LIGHT 1 MILLION CP.
SUREFIRE: 6P, L6 (5watt)LED. Cygolite 16 watt dual beam.
MAGLITE 2AA, 3C. Acro X990 HID. NikolaTesla 1.5 KW 1.5 Million Volt Arc light (I have Torus
blown 15KW style primary Arc & 175 amp @ 12.5 KV High Q rated .068uf resonating capacitor)