3D photolithography used in Li-Ion manufacture.

delus

Newly Enlightened
This is my third post highlighting battery research and development. The first two posts were focused on pure research, this one is about an actual product about to hit the market after ten years of research.

Evonix Corp, of Fremont California, has not exactly been in "stealth mode", but in this article published today by IEEE Spectrum they lay their cards on the table for all to see.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconduc...d-a-safer-more-energydense-lithiumion-battery

A wide range of Li-Ion topics are discussed.
Sony's 1991 decision to use the jelly roll design solved their problem of having much leftover magnetic audio tape equipment.
Why the jelly roll wastes space, and is inherently dangerous. ( I had never heard that microscopic metal particles left by manufacturing machines can give birth to thermal runaway.)
How they solve the wasted space issue with a flat-cell architecture and 3D microelectromechanical system (MEMS) techniques borrowed from the semiconductor industry.
How their porous silicon anode has superior energy density while avoiding the hazards of expansion. While at the same time, distributed electrodes make any possible short-circuit far less damaging.
They can use many cathode chemistries, and their cathode design is safer too.
Instead of polymer, they use a ceramic separator that is far more tolerant of heat. (Is this the first of it's kind?)
They claim that all these features together, eliminate the danger of fire and explosion, while delivering higher energy density.

Like WOW! man.

Next they take a very quick step-by-step tour through their manufacturing process, then an even bigger claim.
(paraphrasing) "MEMS technology transformed computers, television, and lighting, now we expect it to transform the Li-Ion industry as well."
I'll take that bet.

And finally, The Money Quote: "We expect to begin scaling up production for commercialization later this year."

P.S.
As long as you are at the engineering website, check out this article too. Also published just today.
Photonic Hypercrystals Are Now A Reality And Light Will Never Be The Same.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/...ow-a-reality-and-light-will-never-be-the-same

Arizona_Mike

Newly Enlightened
This is my third post highlighting battery research and development. The first two posts were focused on pure research, this one is about an actual product about to hit the market after ten years of research.

Evonix Corp, of Fremont California, has not exactly been in "stealth mode", but in this article published today by IEEE Spectrum they lay their cards on the table for all to see.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconduc...d-a-safer-more-energydense-lithiumion-battery

A wide range of Li-Ion topics are discussed.
Sony's 1991 decision to use the jelly roll design solved their problem of having much leftover magnetic audio tape equipment.
Why the jelly roll wastes space, and is inherently dangerous. ( I had never heard that microscopic metal particles left by manufacturing machines can give birth to thermal runaway.)
How they solve the wasted space issue with a flat-cell architecture and 3D microelectromechanical system (MEMS) techniques borrowed from the semiconductor industry.
How their porous silicon anode has superior energy density while avoiding the hazards of expansion. While at the same time, distributed electrodes make any possible short-circuit far less damaging.
They can use many cathode chemistries, and their cathode design is safer too.
Instead of polymer, they use a ceramic separator that is far more tolerant of heat. (Is this the first of it's kind?)
They claim that all these features together, eliminate the danger of fire and explosion, while delivering higher energy density.

Like WOW! man.

Next they take a very quick step-by-step tour through their manufacturing process, then an even bigger claim.
(paraphrasing) "MEMS technology transformed computers, television, and lighting, now we expect it to transform the Li-Ion industry as well."
I'll take that bet.

And finally, The Money Quote: "We expect to begin scaling up production for commercialization later this year."

P.S.
As long as you are at the engineering website, check out this article too. Also published just today.
Photonic Hypercrystals Are Now A Reality And Light Will Never Be The Same.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/...ow-a-reality-and-light-will-never-be-the-same

I will definitely check out the article. I know a lot more about semiconductor techniques that I could ever be allowed to share on a public forum so the borrowings should be very interesting to me. I also worked on porous silicon for my doctorate.

This anode/cathode thing gets under my skin. They should just call it positive and negative. The Discharge Anode is the Charge Cathode, and the Discharge Cathode is the charge Anode.

Mike