Malkoff        

Thread: Shorted Ni-MH PP3, should I be worried?

Unenlightened

Thinking Shorted Ni-MH PP3, should I be worried?

I was about to use one of my 7dayshop 250mAh Ni-MH PP3 batteries when it fell and shorted its contacts across a bolt that was lying on my workbench. I didn't notice for a few seconds, but when I did I quickly stood the battery up and felt it cautiously with the back of my hand. It was not hot, but it smelled a bit weird. I binned it (recycled), but I am worrying whether I have caused any injury to myself by taking a whiff of the battery after it shorted. It didn't give off any visible vapors (smoke), it just smelled like adhesive/old medicine. Should I be worrying?

Silver Moderator

Default Re: Shorted Ni-MH PP3, should I be worried?

Hello UpsideUp,

Welcome to CPF.

No.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Default Re: Shorted Ni-MH PP3, should I be worried?

I don't think you should be worried. First, NiMH cells don't vent all that easily, and second, the NiMH chemistry isn't volatile the way Li-ion is and generally doesn't catch fire or explode even under abusive conditions. A brief short, even if it winds up generating enough heat to melt a bit of plastic or adhesive, is unlikely to destabilize the battery in such a way that would make it a hazard.

You may have slightly reduced the service life of the battery due to the extreme load, but I would not be worried about safety, not even a bit. In fact, I would probably just continue using the battery as normal.

Draco
    Last edited by bwDraco; 07-04-2017 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Minor correction
    Nitecore SRT7GT and Nitecore Tube for EDC, Fenix LD20 as backup
    Reviews: SRT7 (SRT7GT comparison) – LD20