Batteries For 3M Worktunes Wireless Hearing Protector

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a pair of BlueTooth headphones recently from my local Mill's Fleet Farm. They were on sale for 25% off when I bought them. I have a pair of wired headphones and I was looking forward to going wireless when mowing my lawn and using my string trimmer.

Somewhat to my surprise, these did not have a built in battery or come with any sort of batteries. They accept either a pair of AA batteries or their optional battery pack. I happened to have a some Eneloops that I had received when I bought a Uniden BCD325P2 scanner. The headphones work just great with the Eneloops.

A couple of days later, I happened to realize that these have a micro USB port for charging the optional battery pack, so I decided to see what the price and specifications are. The proprietary battery pack is $29.99 and 3.7V 1100Mah 4.1WH. My Eneloops 2300 Mah each, for a total of 4600 Mah! I guess that probably really won't surprise anybody here, though. So, unless I am missing something, why would someone want to buy the proprietary battery pack for this headphones? I suppose there might be an argument to be made for the convenience of charging in the device, without removing the batteries. It just sort of seems like a "no brainer" to me to use Eneloops rather than spring for the optional battery pack. Perhaps I should add, too, that a a pair of Eneloops seems top be readily available for under $10.00.
!

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...etooth-Technology?N=5002385+3292431446&rt=rud

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/3m...00000233830?Ntt=hearing protection headphones

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDJHT5Z/?tag=cpf0b6-20

DevL

Newly Enlightened
Well weight for one. Convenient charging second. Your poor unsterdandimg of batteries and mah vs voltage third.

Typically Eneloop are 1.4V 2000mah. So 2.8V 2000 mah. That battery hits 4.2V 1100 mah. So equalizing voltage less than 20% capacity advantage for Eneloop at over twice the weight. So its not 4x the battery life... plus you lose some in the voltage bump. Pretty equivalent for almost anyone to the point no one would notice a difference in real world use.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
what Devl is saying that it is best to compare total wattage stoed in the batteries.
Numbers of cells x nominal voltage x battery capacity
Enellops are 2 x 1.2 x 2300 (your number)=5.5 Watts

fmc1

Enlightened
Best to look at total wattage to determine which will give you the most power.

Eneloop AA, the one I am looking at right now is rated at 1.2V 1900mAh so that's 2280mWh times 2 you get 4560mWh.

Battery pack is 3.7V 1100mAh or 4070mWh. Based in the pack dimensions my guess is inside the pack is probably 4 10440's in parallel. If each cell is 275mAh that would give you the 1100mAh advertised. 275mAh is on the lame side for 10440's so they might be underrating the pack a bit. The 5V charge part is so the pack maintains compatibility with USB standards. There are electronics in the pack that step the voltage down to 4.2V so the batteries don't cook when charging.

Weight would be the big difference. LiIon cells of equal size weigh much less that NiiMH. The run times of the two are going to be close with regular eneloops. You could go with eneloop pro's they are 1.2V 2450mAh or 2920mWh each.

Latest posts