batteries for tn40vn

hahoo

Enlightened
ive got 10amp batteries in my tn40vn
if i step up to some 20amp, or even 30 amp, will it run cooler than the ones i have now ?
or is 10 amp good for this light ?

34585610271_70a01a51da_h.jpg

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm running VTC5A in mine.
Don't go by labels on the battery. Literally not worth the paper they are printed on.
I go by HKJ's data testing.

hahoo

Enlightened
yeah , eastshine does sound a little coo coo, but they have steller reviews, and are actually just rewrapped sanyo ncr18650GA batteries.
i definitely checked things out b4 i bought them
and madd, i know all about over hyped batteries
heres a few i got with a fenix knock off clr25 lantern that were supposed to be like 2400 mah
this is where the charged off at , on a top end rc3000 hobby charger, thats been calibrated

34374407026_3756ab5bce_h.jpg

my question is still this, will it make a difference on the heat issue if i get higher drain batteries, over the 10amp Sanyo ncr18650GA ones i have now ?
will it burn brighter a lil longer than now without the voltage sag ?

hahoo

Enlightened
I'm not liking the label on that cell to start with

if your talking about the es#5 crappy, crooked looking label, then thats the ones i made to keep up with all my batteries
just got me a new label maker and have been going crazy with it:laughing:

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
if your talking about the es#5 crappy, crooked looking label, then thats the ones i made to keep up with all my batteries
just got me a new label maker and have been going crazy with it:laughing:

This gave me a good laugh! Now I want to email HKJ to ask if he's tested any hahoo batteries! LOL

As to the question of amps, the XHP35 needs 12 volts. So, 4 batteries in series would supply that, which would mean a very high amp demand. (assuming it is in series)

With better batteries, the flashlight can run brighter but probably with more heat, not less, because you're driving the LED harder.

Last edited:

hahoo

Enlightened
This gave me a good laugh! Now I want to email HKJ to ask if he's tested any hahoo batteries! LOL

As to the question of amps, the XHP35 needs 12 volts. So, 4 batteries in series would supply that, which would mean a very high amp demand. (assuming it is in series)

With better batteries, the flashlight can run brighter but probably with more heat, not less, because you're driving the LED harder.

:laughing::D tx madd, glad i could give you a laugh:cool:

ven

Flashaholic
Would have thought 10a would be ok for this light, but higher drain cells as said suffer less voltage sag. So this could mean when the cells are lower in V, you can still access turbo or 100% level. Where as less high drain cells would drop down or out of the highest level if makes sense.

Also as mentioned, if time is an issue, you can charge them up at higher rates for a faster charge. Heat should not be an issue with cells like the vt6 and vt5a/30q etc, unless pushed to their limits, of which this light does not.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your welcome.. i dont really do deep research on the battery.. i keep it simple and peace of mind by using lg mj1, samsung 30q, sony vtc5 and 6.. sony vtc5a if it required. Shop around.. you can normally buy those battery for $5.49 to $8 each..

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
The VTC5A are giving me a good 550 lumens more than my VTC6, I'd love to know if this takes throw up to 1500m!

Tested the TN40vn tonight with VTC5A and got 11,230 lumens turn on! Dropping to 10,040 ANSI.

VTC6 managed 10,570 turn on and 9,500 ANSI.

At 3.90v the VCT5A's was managing 10,230 turn on and 9,170 ANSI.

The poor X45vn voltage to lumen performance made me question whether the TN40vn could keep the pace but it gave a solid performance.

As for heat, at 4.10v the TN40vn dropped 1,300 lumens after being on 1.30 minutes past ANSI. So turn on 10,700, after 30 secs 9,900 and 2 mins 8,600. Pretty decent given my DT70 drops 1,500 lumens in 30 secs and the X45vn 3,000!

10,040 ANSI for TN40vn is pretty good I only measured

XHP35 HI 5000K
Lumen: 8,700
Lux: 500K
Throw: 1,414m

isard08

Newly Enlightened
Does someone know the cumulated runtime of the tn40vn on full output? For sure it depends on the type of batteries, I am planning to use Fenix ARB-L18 3500 mAh. If other (protected) 18650's would give much better performance, don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks!

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does someone know the cumulated runtime of the tn40vn on full output? For sure it depends on the type of batteries, I am planning to use Fenix ARB-L18 3500 mAh. If other (protected) 18650's would give much better performance, don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks!

I havent got into runtime test yet.. There is no doubt sony vtc5a will give you higher output at turn on.. i found imr18650 protected run little cooler than ncr18650ga protected... it really doesnt matter.. as long as you use the top tier 18650, you should be fine..

isard08

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the answer! My concerns are 1) safety 2) performances this is why I prefer protected batteries.

Keep us posted if you have the opportunity to check the runtime!

E.g. if you run the light for 2 minutes on max, and then it cool down, what is then the expected max output? And after repeating this a few times (on the same set of batteries of course)? Because if the max output is only available 2 minutes with fresh batteries (4.2V) and then you need to recharge it is less impressive than if it can still reach (almost) max output with batteries at let's say 3.7 Volts. For sure the output will decrease but by how much? The tn40vn looks great but I prefer to be well informed before I buy it!

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the answer! My concerns are 1) safety 2) performances this is why I prefer protected batteries.

Keep us posted if you have the opportunity to check the runtime!

E.g. if you run the light for 2 minutes on max, and then it cool down, what is then the expected max output? And after repeating this a few times (on the same set of batteries of course)? Because if the max output is only available 2 minutes with fresh batteries (4.2V) and then you need to recharge it is less impressive than if it can still reach (almost) max output with batteries at let's say 3.7 Volts. For sure the output will decrease but by how much? The tn40vn looks great but I prefer to be well informed before I buy it!

I'll do my best to answer your question.. you are not going to get whole runtime if you use turbo( 10000 -13000 lumen )., with the tn40vn, 30 or 40% mode will lift up everything. I will guess 12-15 minutes of turbo when the battery reach 3.7v ( using 3500mah). I will get the runtime tonight..

which spec are are you getting?

Last edited:

isard08

Newly Enlightened
Great, I am curious! I will most likely choose spec 1 (max throw neutral tint)