4 Sevens        
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Attacking The TN42

  1. #1

    Default Attacking The TN42

    I know I'm late to the party but I hope to make up for that. I just got in my TN42 the other day, and I know this will come as no surprise to those of you who own it, but I LOVE THIS LIGHT. It's so big in performance yet feels relatively small in hand. I see soooooo much potential in this light!!! So expect to see something amazing not too long from now. Already making huge strides. I have seen people say this light leaves no room for modders. They are wrong. Dead wrong.

    I did have one curious thing happen. When I tested the stock light using my normal setup and standard I got a result quite off from what I see others posting. It seems there is a consensus that it does 700-725Kcd. I got 582 which I'd consider to be inside the spec Thrunite gives. I charged up a second set of high drain batteries and got the same result. Hmm...
    So either I have a bum light, all the others testing at 700-725 are calibrated too high, or I am calibrated too low.

    Years ago when I nailed down my standard the ANSI approach was not too widespread. I even backed off what I truly felt was the right numbers because I wanted to be conservative. Didn't want to run the chance that I'd ship a light that in actuality performed less than what I said. Seems I may have been too conservative and the lights I have made in the past may indeed be getting an upgrade instantly and for free. Now before you get too excited I need to get to the bottom of it. It could after all just be a bum light.

    That said regardless of the light being a dud or not I am making real progress on increasing the throw of this TN42.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Attacking The TN42

    I am eagerly awaiting the results.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Attacking The TN42

    Yes, this is an exciting light; I just read your recent post in the other forum. NW, yours will out throw all others, more lumens from larger die.

    I get excited about advances in different classifications of led lights. Keep us posted!
    Acebeam K70vn EC50vn, two X65Vn. Eagletac SX25L3 MT-G2 MX25L4CvnT XP-L. Fenix TK75vnQ70 dome on. 47's MMU-X3. Manker MK34Vn. Niwalker MM15, and MM15MBvnSpec1. Noctigon Meteor M43vn XP-L dd. Olight S2 Baton. P60vn Quad XP-L HD 2 cell host Cryos Cu head. Thrunite TN36UTvn TN42vn.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Attacking The TN42

    Quote Originally Posted by richbuff View Post
    Yes, this is an exciting light; I just read your recent post in the other forum. NW, yours will out throw all others, more lumens from larger die.

    I get excited about advances in different classifications of led lights. Keep us posted!
    Just to clarify I am sticking to the same die size. But yes the goal is to increase throw beyond what others are doing without sacrificing lumens or tint.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    595

    Default Re: Attacking The TN42

    Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    I know I'm late to the party but I hope to make up for that. I just got in my TN42 the other day, and I know this will come as no surprise to those of you who own it, but I LOVE THIS LIGHT. It's so big in performance yet feels relatively small in hand. I see soooooo much potential in this light!!! So expect to see something amazing not too long from now. Already making huge strides. I have seen people say this light leaves no room for modders. They are wrong. Dead wrong.

    I did have one curious thing happen. When I tested the stock light using my normal setup and standard I got a result quite off from what I see others posting. It seems there is a consensus that it does 700-725Kcd. I got 582 which I'd consider to be inside the spec Thrunite gives. I charged up a second set of high drain batteries and got the same result. Hmm...
    So either I have a bum light, all the others testing at 700-725 are calibrated too high, or I am calibrated too low.

    Years ago when I nailed down my standard the ANSI approach was not too widespread. I even backed off what I truly felt was the right numbers because I wanted to be conservative. Didn't want to run the chance that I'd ship a light that in actuality performed less than what I said. Seems I may have been too conservative and the lights I have made in the past may indeed be getting an upgrade instantly and for free. Now before you get too excited I need to get to the bottom of it. It could after all just be a bum light.

    That said regardless of the light being a dud or not I am making real progress on increasing the throw of this TN42.

    the meters most use, 1330b, dr meter, etc, do read high at higher lux readings
    my tn42 vn reads close to 800klux on it, while on a more expensive meter ive got, an extech, it reads almost 80k lux lower at those values
    plus lux readings from most folks that do it theirself, is like fuel mileage when you ask folks about their cars, or how big the fish was they caught..
    everybody likes to pad things a bit, if you know what i mean

    are you staying with the xp35hi or something different ?

    i know a few folks have went back to xpg2, and the lumens drop to under 1000, just to get another 100k lux throw
    waste of time if you ask me
    ive got a keychain light that does close to 1000 lumens for petes sake
    Last edited by hahoo; 05-20-2017 at 06:20 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Attacking The TN42

    Quote Originally Posted by hahoo View Post
    the meters most use, 1330b, dr meter, etc, do read high at higher lux readings
    my tn42 vn reads close to 800klux on it, while on a more expensive meter ive got, an extech, it reads almost 80k lux lower at those values
    plus lux readings from most folks that do it theirself, is like fuel mileage when you ask folks about their cars, or how big the fish was they caught..
    everybody likes to pad things a bit, if you know what i mean

    are you staying with the xp35hi or something different ?

    i know a few folks have went back to xpg2, and the lumens drop to under 1000, just to get another 100k lux throw
    waste of time if you ask me
    ive got a keychain light that does close to 1000 lumens for petes sake
    Just tested the Surefire UB3T Invictus and got a reading of 35Kcd. Selfbuilt says it does 40Kcd. This is 14.28% above my reading. Not conclusive but one more indication I may be too low.

    I have quite a few meters for multiple testing setups. The one I use for official results is an Extech 407026 HD. Then I have two Easyview 30s one of which is NIST traceable. The Certified one I use in my IS and the other one is used for a specific bench test setup. There are a couple other cheap ones I don't use much.

    I am am staying with the XHP35. Going to the XPG2 almost seems ridiculous. Not enough gains as you say for what is lost. I'd just go aspheric if I wanted to go max max throw.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    595

    Default Re: Attacking The TN42

    Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    Just tested the Surefire UB3T Invictus and got a reading of 35Kcd. Selfbuilt says it does 40Kcd. This is 14.28% above my reading. Not conclusive but one more indication I may be too low.

    I have quite a few meters for multiple testing setups. The one I use for official results is an Extech 407026 HD. Then I have two Easyview 30s one of which is NIST traceable. The Certified one I use in my IS and the other one is used for a specific bench test setup. There are a couple other cheap ones I don't use much.

    I am am staying with the XHP35. Going to the XPG2 almost seems ridiculous. Not enough gains as you say for what is lost. I'd just go aspheric if I wanted to go max max throw.

    sounds good, so 1.2 mil cd, and pushing 3000 lumens it is !!
    you need to work ot on this one

  8. #8
    Capolini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Valley Forge, Pa.
    Posts
    5,328

    Default Re: Attacking The TN42

    I am sure you will reach your goal Michael.At least 900Kcd w/ the TN42

    I am pretty confident that your numbers are a bit low. This is why?

    I do not have any light measuring equipment. However, I do have Google Earth[for distance] which I trust 100%. This is for a field test. Are my EYES ANSI rated? No. But I can assure you based on one of the analogies that I learned on here there certainly seemed like there was enough light to read a book,,, If I was 60' up in the water tower!

    These real life "field tests" are a pretty good indication how far the light will travel.I have done dozens of them. I am fortunate there are a few cell towers[looks like a flag pole] and water towers within 5 miles of where I live. My other Two locations have less light pollution. This one has more. In all Three cases the TARGET is completely dark.

    First I was the one who was shining the light and my friend Joe was at the target. He is not a flashaholic but he verified that there was light shed on the tower. I asked him , "Do you think it was enough to read a book?" He said I think so. We switched assignments.I Called Joe up and told him to shine the beam at the tower. From what I saw I believe there was enough illumination to read a book!

    Is this test a bit crude? Somewhat.Regardless of that I would bet on it that my light is MORE than 470Kcd.


    The light is the TN31mb which you measured @ 470Kcd. That would be 1371m/1499yds. One mile is 1760. The test "Target" was @ 1707yds=610Kcd minus 1 yard

    500Kcd/1414m/1546yds
    550Kcd/1483m/1621yds
    590Kcd/1536m/1679yds
    600Kcd/1549m/1694yds
    610Kcd/1562m/1708yds.......This is 1 yard further than the tower

    My guess is that my TN31mb is between 590Kcd and 610Kcd

    I noticed the beam reaching the tower many times when I was on my way back with Capo from my hikes. Last February I brought my friend Joe with me to verify that light was definitely shed on the tower.


    Just for Good measure and certification purposes!







    Google Earth Field test photo.

    Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. ,,,Capolini 10.21.2003

  9. #9
    Capolini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Valley Forge, Pa.
    Posts
    5,328

    Default Re: Attacking The TN42

    I forgot to mention this. I know there are a lot of variables to consider. Measuring distance is a big factor.

    Vinh-7.5m
    Jmpaul320- 8m
    Michael-8m...at least that is what it is was in 2013. It is on my cert. card.
    Selfbuilt-10m

    Vinh's numbers were always lower than SB's. iirc Justins were a little lower to.

    "TEEJ" explains measuring LUX very well in Post #56 of thread below.

    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...urements/page2
    Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. ,,,Capolini 10.21.2003

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •