RMSK, Inc.        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 40

Thread: Fenix UC02

  1. #1
    Flashaholic colight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    On Earth
    Posts
    260

    Default Fenix UC02

    It seems as if most people prefer the little bigger flashlights, even for EDC - lights like an E15 or so. I am quite curious as to what you people think of a smaller light like this UC02, for instance? I've had mine now for almost a year, and I use it fairly often. It found pride of place on my keychain. Obviously it is too small for use in a search and rescue situation, but in certain situations it may be a "lifesaver", as it was to me. In this time that I've had it, I haven't had to recharge it one single time! It is still holding the original charge, and I cannot see any change in output from the day I bought it. I take it that any reduction in output won't be very noticeable unless you use it almost every day.

    What are your thoughts on this UC02 specifically, apart from the tint, that is, because I know many of you are into CW, whereas that doesn't matter so much to me?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    To each his own liking, my friend.

    I have to say, I never had any thoughts about adding any more weight to my already bulky keychain (car & house).
    I prefer to wear & clip-on an Olight H1 (for example) on my belt and use it that way.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

  3. #3
    mightysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Palookaville, USA
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    The UC02 is a good option if you might forget or be reluctant to have a larger light with you. It is like an insurance policy that requires little space and adds little weight to your load.

    Personally, I prefer something like the Nitecore TIP, but the UC02 looks like a nice light.
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

  4. #4

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by mightysparrow View Post
    The UC02 is a good option if you might forget or be reluctant to have a larger light with you. It is like an insurance policy that requires little space and adds little weight to your load.

    Personally, I prefer something like the Nitecore TIP, but the UC02 looks like a nice light.
    On my way while driving home earlier tonight, I was thinking about this tiny light idea that Colight has started and it got me thinking a bit.
    The suggestions you guys have given are eye openers. I mean, for years I have avoided to even consider AAA-sized 'small' lights.

    You guys are right, it would not matter to carry that tiny lil' bit of weight , as an "insurance policy"
    Alrite, i shall take a closer look at the NC TIP and UC02 when i next drop by me local distributor's place.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic colight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    On Earth
    Posts
    260

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by mightysparrow View Post
    The UC02 is a good option if you might forget or be reluctant to have a larger light with you. It is like an insurance policy that requires little space and adds little weight to your load.

    Personally, I prefer something like the Nitecore TIP, but the UC02 looks like a nice light.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm reluctant to wear a bigger size light. In fact, if it wouldn't make me look like a fool I would have carried a BIG flashlight with me (the RC40 even jumps to mind!) because I love to SEE where I go and what I do. The UC02 is also not perfect for us with bananas for fingers if you're thinking one-handed operation, but as I said, for those small emergencies the UC02 fits the bill for me perfectly. You hardly even know that you're carrying it because it is so light, and I'm amazed at the amount of output from such a tiny light. I'm sure there are other manufacturers that may have even better lights, but I've been a die-hard Fenix fan up to now, and at the moment I still prefer it to stay that way for "fear" of this turning me into a dedicated collector!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by colight View Post
    but I've been a die-hard Fenix fan up to now, and at the moment I still prefer it to stay that way for "fear" of this turning me into a dedicated collector!
    Haha, I was like you. And then ... i made the jump and became a collector as you would name it ... LOL

  7. #7
    Flashaholic colight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    On Earth
    Posts
    260

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by proceed5 View Post
    And then ...
    This is exactly what I am afraid of! I can only hope I don't ever reach this:

  8. #8

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Firstly thank you Colight and Mightysparrow for introducing me to the world of tiny flashlights.

    I have purchased my first Tiny light and I chose the Fenix UC02SS over the Nitecore TIP.
    I preferred the UI and light output of the TIP 2016 version, however the TIP 2016 is almost 4 times larger than the UC02SS.

    The UC02SS comes with a necklace paracord. and I thought I would be wearing this light like a necklace (hanging the unit) around my neck and the light itself will be tugged neatly and unnoticed into my office attire.
    Cool.

    But hey, did any of you noticed at the back of Fenix UC02SS box, it states "Design by Mecarmy"... have I bought a Fenix light or an OEM Mecarmy light ?

    Anymore ideas ?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by proceed5 View Post
    Firstly thank you Colight and Mightysparrow for introducing me to the world of tiny flashlights.

    I have purchased my first Tiny light and I chose the Fenix UC02SS over the Nitecore TIP.
    I preferred the UI and light output of the TIP 2016 version, however the TIP 2016 is almost 4 times larger than the UC02SS.

    The UC02SS comes with a necklace paracord. and I thought I would be wearing this light like a necklace (hanging the unit) around my neck and the light itself will be tugged neatly and unnoticed into my office attire.
    Cool.

    But hey, did any of you noticed at the back of Fenix UC02SS box, it states "Design by Mecarmy"... have I bought a Fenix light or an OEM Mecarmy light ?

    Anymore ideas ?


    Hi proceed5, Fenix has bought the design from Mecarmy, but we use our own circuit design, and assemble the products by ourselves. So the UC02 is a Fenix light. Thanks!

  10. #10
    Flashaholic colight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    On Earth
    Posts
    260

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by proceed5 View Post
    Firstly thank you Colight and Mightysparrow for introducing me to the world of tiny flashlights.
    Well, we welcome you then in this new world that we've opened up for you, proceed! And as far as I am concerned, you've made a great choice! Interesting reply from Fenix, btw. I somehow missed that one, but maybe only because I don't have that good a look at the boxes. Usually I just glance at what I consider are the most important factors, and then discard them. Hope I don't regret that in future.....

  11. #11

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by fenix1 View Post
    Hi proceed5, Fenix has bought the design from Mecarmy, but we use our own circuit design, and assemble the products by ourselves. So the UC02 is a Fenix light. Thanks!
    Hi Fenix1, thank you for your clarification.
    Great stuff this UC02SS . It is pretty bright for such a tiny light. Even in Low brightness it is already enough for night indoor usage.
    Never have I thought using a tiny light like this UC02SS would be so much fun.

    Got a task for you Fenix1, please get your R&D team to quickly launch more "Flashaholics" products per month. My monthly allocation (budget) for acquisition of Fenixlights is way under-utilised, because Fenix has somehow been a bit too slow with launches.

    Please build a high-quality, rechargeable Limited Edition Titanium/Copper/Brass 16340 and 14500 lights with high-end lumen
    Please build a high-quality, an optical rechargeable tiny light that has more functions than the UC02SS

    A big 'Xie Xie' to you and Fenix

  12. #12

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by colight View Post
    Well, we welcome you then in this new world that we've opened up for you, proceed! And as far as I am concerned, you've made a great choice! Interesting reply from Fenix, btw. I somehow missed that one, but maybe only because I don't have that good a look at the boxes. Usually I just glance at what I consider are the most important factors, and then discard them. Hope I don't regret that in future.....
    Thank you for the welcome note Colight

    I always keep the boxes my lights were shipped in. I believe the light with the box, serial number printed on the box, instruction manual, the receipt, is worth a bit of money, down the road, when these things becomes antique ... LOL

    Anyway, back to the UC02SS. Let me share my maiden experiences using this light around the house last night and at the work place this morning.
    I necklaced my UC02SS and found it to be very useful especially for use in mid-morning visits to the water closet . Compliment to the tiny size of this light, which was in no way obstructive, I accidentally slept with it ... LOL.

    Walking to the work place from the dark basement carpark this morning n when walking from my office to the basement carpark after work hours, this light proved to be sufficiently bright and very handy - just pull it out and bite the tiny light and it lights up the paths . (for the first time ever, I did not pull out my usual RC11/RC09 EDC light from my laptop bag and yes I do carry the RC09 and RC11 with the charge USB cable in the bag)

    Anymore ideas to introduce or get me induced into ?

  13. #13
    Flashaholic colight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    On Earth
    Posts
    260

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by proceed5 View Post
    Thank you for the welcome note Colight

    I always keep the boxes my lights were shipped in. I believe the light with the box, serial number printed on the box, instruction manual, the receipt, is worth a bit of money, down the road, when these things becomes antique ... LOL

    Anymore ideas to introduce or get me induced into ?

    You're welcome, proceed, and I'm happy that I/we could (unintentionally) persuade you to join us in this "world". I'm very happy that you're so satisfied with it, as I have been ever since I bought it!

    About the boxes - you know, as I was writing that message, I actually thought about exactly the same thing: I should have kept the boxes. Well, now is definitely too late for me. But then again, as I said before, I am restraining myself with force here to NOT become a collector, because I know what that can do to one's pocket! I don't have any more specific recommendations for you at the moment, but if I do, I'll surely tell you!

  14. #14
    mightysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Palookaville, USA
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by proceed5 View Post
    Firstly thank you Colight and Mightysparrow for introducing me to the world of tiny flashlights.

    I have purchased my first Tiny light and I chose the Fenix UC02SS over the Nitecore TIP.
    I preferred the UI and light output of the TIP 2016 version, however the TIP 2016 is almost 4 times larger than the UC02SS.

    The UC02SS comes with a necklace paracord. and I thought I would be wearing this light like a necklace (hanging the unit) around my neck and the light itself will be tugged neatly and unnoticed into my office attire.
    Cool.

    But hey, did any of you noticed at the back of Fenix UC02SS box, it states "Design by Mecarmy"... have I bought a Fenix light or an OEM Mecarmy light ?

    Anymore ideas ?
    You're welcome. You've got me looking again at the UC02 - especially now that I know Fenix uses its own driver for it. So, you see we can all influence each other here. It can be very expensive to spend time here!😜
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

  15. #15

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    I have the Fenix UC02 on my keychain for my truck. I won it here in their monthly give away. It is a nice little flashlight and it is always there when you need it. It puts out a lot of lumens for such a small package and I find that I use it a lot more than I though that I would.

    You will notice thst there are few keys on that ring. I keep a main set of keys and a set of keys for each vehicle. It isn't good to have a ton of keys dangling from the ignition. It causes extra wear and tear on the ignition.

    Bob



  16. #16
    Flashaholic colight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    On Earth
    Posts
    260

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by HorizontalHunter View Post
    I have the Fenix UC02 on my keychain for my truck. I won it here in their monthly give away. It is a nice little flashlight and it is always there when you need it. It puts out a lot of lumens for such a small package and I find that I use it a lot more than I though that I would.

    You will notice thst there are few keys on that ring. I keep a main set of keys and a set of keys for each vehicle. It isn't good to have a ton of keys dangling from the ignition. It causes extra wear and tear on the ignition.

    Bob
    Amen to that! I also believe in having as few things as possible hanging there. This little light hardly adds to the weight, and I'm happy for that.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by mightysparrow View Post
    You're welcome. You've got me looking again at the UC02 - especially now that I know Fenix uses its own driver for it. So, you see we can all influence each other here. It can be very expensive to spend time here!
    Haha tell me about it , the influence into "tiny" lights ... I have just informed my local distributor to restock the UC02SS-Blue colour ... I am gonna get me another one or few of this tiny little beauty
    It is so small, it is so convenient ... You really need to touch this thing to enjoy it.
    This small little buggers are more addictive than the normal 18650 or 16340 lights.

    Question:
    How do I upload photos to this site ?
    Last edited by proceed5; 05-31-2017 at 09:02 AM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by proceed5 View Post
    Question:
    How do I upload photos to this site ?
    Upload your photos to any image hosting sites such as photobucket, imageshack etc; then link them here through the IMG link given there. Then enclose the IMG link with the "Insert Image" here. Good luck trying it out.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by LED_Power_Forums View Post
    Upload your photos to any image hosting sites such as photobucket, imageshack etc; then link them here through the IMG link given there. Then enclose the IMG link with the "Insert Image" here. Good luck trying it out.
    Thank you LED_Power_Forums,
    I'll go search for an image hosting website

  20. #20

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Here's my UC02SS :
    Last edited by proceed5; 06-01-2017 at 08:58 AM.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    I bought one of these a while back but not used it much. Went to fire it up today and nothing, battery is flat. It wasn't left turned on. Does anyone know if it had over-discharge protection built in, if not I might have goonered the battery...

  22. #22

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaxa View Post
    I bought one of these a while back but not used it much. Went to fire it up today and nothing, battery is flat. It wasn't left turned on. Does anyone know if it had over-discharge protection built in, if not I might have goonered the battery...
    hi Metaxa,
    Hmm, this model is probably only a few months old.

    I cannot be 100% certain, but I do believe All Fenix made flashlights do have over-discharge protection.

    Anyway, have you tried taking the unit apart and clean the contact points ?
    And perhaps you may like to plug in the USB and charge it up fully, and then try turning it On again.
    Due to the rotating twisting of the head, one may likely without realising it moved the head unit to an one of the On positions.
    Last edited by proceed5; 06-01-2017 at 08:11 AM.

  23. #23

    Default Fenix UC02

    Been contemplating getting this Fenix UC02 LED flashlight, as I would like something small and lighter than the Maglite Solitaire LED flashlight to go on my car key chain (and it's a pain in the @$$ to charge the Nickel Metal Hydride batteries, for what would be a rather pitiful runtime for the size of the batteries themselves in the Maglite flashlight).

    Looks pretty nice, however it's a tough sell regarding price and color choice, what the heck - I will take the stab here; which one is much more rugged, stainless steel or black Anodized Aluminum?
    Last edited by Dr. Mario; 06-01-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    ****** Custom filtered blacklight flashlight based on both Nichia NVSU233A-U365 and Convoy S2 flashlight host (Pictured in avatar icon) ******

  24. #24

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mario View Post
    Been contemplating getting this Fenix UC02 LED flashlight, as I would like something small and lighter than the Maglite Solitaire LED flashlight to go on my car key chain (and it's a pain in the @$$ to charge the Nickel Metal Hydride batteries, for what would be a rather pitiful runtime for the size of the batteries themselves in the Maglite flashlight).

    Looks pretty nice, however it's a tough sell regarding price and color choice, what the heck - I will take the stab here; which one is much more rugged, stainless steel or black Anodized Aluminum?
    LOL ... hello Dr.Mario.
    I think the Stainless Steel should have better resistence against scratches .

    The stainless steel version has 2 colour options, stainless Gold and stainless Blue. The blue one is more attractive
    The aluminium version has 3 colour variants, Black, Blue and Red.

    Hope you will enjoy your new acquisition(s)

  25. #25

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by proceed5 View Post
    hi Metaxa,
    Hmm, this model is probably only a few months old.

    I cannot be 100% certain, but I do believe All Fenix made flashlights do have over-discharge protection.

    Anyway, have you tried taking the unit apart and clean the contact points ?
    And perhaps you may like to plug in the USB and charge it up fully, and then try turning it On again.
    Due to the rotating twisting of the head, one may likely without realising it moved the head unit to an one of the On positions.
    I think youíre right. I took the battery out and metered it, getting about 3.49v so itís not discharged. Put it back in and it works ok.

  26. #26
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    11,570

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaxa View Post
    I think youíre right. I took the battery out and metered it, getting about 3.49v so itís not discharged. Put it back in and it works ok.
    At 3.49 volts the cell is mostly discharged. Charge it to 4.2 volts.

    Bill

  27. #27

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    At 3.49 volts the cell is mostly discharged. Charge it to 4.2 volts.

    Bill
    Ah, ok, thanks. I've not been playing with Li-ion batteries much, I thought under 3v was discharged.

  28. #28
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    10,057

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaxa View Post
    Ah, ok, thanks. I've not been playing with Li-ion batteries much, I thought under 3v was discharged.
    Actually, at that point, it is damaged and perhaps dangerously so ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

  29. #29

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by proceed5 View Post
    LOL ... hello Dr.Mario.
    I think the Stainless Steel should have better resistence against scratches .

    The stainless steel version has 2 colour options, stainless Gold and stainless Blue. The blue one is more attractive
    The aluminium version has 3 colour variants, Black, Blue and Red.

    Hope you will enjoy your new acquisition(s)
    Got an itchy trigger finger, wound up ordering black one, with new membership coupon. Hopefully the anodizing is as good as the Convoy M1 flashlight - mine barely has a scratch.

    As for the battery being discharged below 3 Volts, I agree it can get unstable at this voltage however only LiFePO4 cells tolerate being discharged way below the 2.5 Volts mark (for A123 18650 cell I have, that is - my 70 mW Gallium-Nitride green laser eat the living * outta the cells, and they seem to tolerate that just fine for some reasons, even though I am sure I am unintentionally murdering them slowly). If the cells get to 3 Volts under load, it may be okay as some flashlight implement the battery voltage cutoff protection either in hardware or software, which is why you see them going back up to over 3.4 - 3.5 Volts quickly once the load is removed.
    ****** Custom filtered blacklight flashlight based on both Nichia NVSU233A-U365 and Convoy S2 flashlight host (Pictured in avatar icon) ******

  30. #30

    Default Re: Fenix UC02

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mario View Post
    Got an itchy trigger finger, wound up ordering black one, with new membership coupon. Hopefully the anodizing is as good as the Convoy M1 flashlight - mine barely has a scratch.
    Very good , and hope you will enjoy your UC02.

    I just realised that a difference between the UC02 and UC02SS, that is, the Stainless version has incorporated IP68 dust and water seals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •