Can anyone recommend a good light for my gas grill?

ccualumni

Newly Enlightened
The light from my house near my grill is not that bright so it can be hard to see how well cooked the meat is.

Can someone recommend a bright light that is made for a grill? I have a charbroil and used Google and found the below recommended light. The problem is it is 100 lumens (most seem to be) which does not seem to be very bright.

Thank you

Zeust #1 Barbecue Grill Light

Last edited by a moderator:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Op, you need high CRI (color rendering) above all else. For thst distance you don't need many lumens at all.

I personally use a BLF 348 light with a Nichia 219B high CRI LED. They are under 10 bucks from gearbest regularly, are single mode, tiny/pocketable, and the 45 lumens is plenty for checking what's on the grill. Only downside is that it's not hands free.
A Manker E02 with the Nichia 219C is a right angle light clippable to clothing... that should also work and is under $20.

Without high cri, the red in a steak will look blue or brown, for example, making it hard to know when the food is cooked. Too many lumens and you'll wash out all colors altogether so don't get lumen hungry. (Get it? Lame joke.)

That Zuest light you mentioned was 3x the price, no mention of cri, and had not so nice reviews so I'd skip that one.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Two other details (at least) may be very helpful for others here, to further advise you ....

* do you want it to be (permanently) attached to your grill, or do you plan to carry / hold / clip / wear it ?

* budget ?

I have a N119 SunDrop that works great for this purpose, but it doesn't attach to the grill ;)

ccualumni

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the information and the suggestions on what I need details for.

I would prefer a light that mounts to the grill and can be moved to another grill if needed. I am not setting a budget as my guess is that a light that can do this job shouldn't be too expensive.

I just got this grill, and I hope it lasts as long as my others have, but you never know.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another light to look at would be the Nitecore LA10 CRI (definitely get a high CRI). It has a nice diffuser so the light is very even, and a magnetic base so it can be stuck on the lid of the grill. If the lid handle is at least partially metallic, it can be fastened to the bottom side of the handle so it lights up the grill area better when the lid is opened.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple 3 x AAA battery lights like that usually experience significant brightness fall off as the battery voltage declines. Have you tried a fresh set of batteries? 100 lumens should be plenty of light for that distance.

Personally, I like a headlamp for this kind of task. Nitecore's Nu20 is available in a high CRI model for a decent price.

I've never seen any other grill lights like that. However, I'd bet bicycle mounts intended to allow regular flashlights to mount on handlebars could be used. There's a range of options for rigid, fully adjustable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U5PX0QG/?tag=cpf0b6-20

to simple elastic holders:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBT76TG/?tag=cpf0b6-20