Toshiba yellow 10mm 23,000 mcd LED ?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenB:
Has anyone tried this one?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you see that LED?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenB:
www.hosfelt.com
they also have a 10mm white for $5.99
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I sure can't recommend that
particular LED, cos I bought one and it's output was SUPER disappointing...
frown.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Has anyone tried this one?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I might have a bag of these... let's see...

Let's see... Hosfelt # 25-342...yup that's the one.

The beam is square in shape, very narrow with a darker spot in the center.

Taking picture... click!
Downloading...renaming...moving...cropping...uploading...
25-342.jpg

In this picture, the LED was fired at the target from 3 FEET, so you can see its beam is very narrow. That is one reason why its candela rating is so high.

At 30mA drive current, my meter says 23.2 foot-candles in intensity. For this measurement, the LED was fired at the sensor (the diamond-shaped thing in the picture) from 12" away.

Hope this helps.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
I sure can't recommend that
particular LED, cos I bought one and it's output was SUPER disappointing...
frown.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't recommend their 10mm white either.
I've got a bag of those things, and I can't give those fu$&^@%#ers away!
mad.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Craig, it does not look to impressive...gee...you really do have a museum their...umm you wouldn`t happen to have the white 10 mm would you?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Thanks Craig, it does not look to impressive...gee...you really do have a museum their...umm you wouldn`t happen to have the white 10 mm would you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah... I've got a whole bag of those things.
blush.gif

I'll go look for them. I think they got buried in the you-know-what, but I have a good idea of where to start looking.
grin.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats ok Craig, I`ll take your word for it...probably narrow with that square shape...thanks Craig and Doug

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Thanks Craig, it does not look to impressive...gee...you really do have a museum their...umm you wouldn`t happen to have the white 10 mm would you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't find the bag, but I had my original pair of evaluation specimens in a plastic case.

25-367.jpg

Picture was deliberately underexposed to try and capture the distinctly bluish center.

In reality, the beam consists of an elliptical central hot zone, bright cyan in color, surrounded by a much weaker, white coma. It looks like a comet without its tail.

Measured 10.6 foot-candles from the distinctly bright cyan central beam area.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:
I couldn't find the bag, but I had my original pair of evaluation specimens in a plastic case.

Measured 10.6 foot-candles from the distinctly bright cyan central beam area.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can't show you a picture of mine yet, but it measures only 9.5 footcandles..
frown.gif

Btw-Craig, do you know whether Nichia or Toshiba makes that 10mm wht.?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:

I can't show you a picture of mine yet, but it measures only 9.5 footcandles..
frown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you measure yours?
Do you fire the LED directly into the sensor from a foot away, or some other way?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Btw-Craig, do you know whether Nichia or Toshiba makes that 10mm wht.?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe Toyoda Gosei made that one, but I cannot say with absolute, 100% certainty.

I can tell you that Toshiba isn't (or wasn't) in the white LED racket when these things were made, and the design of the internal leadframe is not Nichia.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many foot candles does...say a Photon with new batts show from 1 foot away Craig or Doug?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
How many foot candles does...say a Photon with new batts show from 1 foot away Craig or Doug?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's find out... it starts at about 27 foot-candles, and quickly drops like a bomb, even though you can't observe the difference with the eye.

It quickly sinks to about 20 foot-candles, then falls much more slowly after that.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug, does your`s show about the same?...Craig, how many does the Arclight show?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Doug, does your`s show about the same?...Craig, how many does the Arclight show?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

about 18.4, and it stays there instead of sinking.
This is about like a Photon after 1 minute.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Craig, I wish CMG would up the step-up in the infinity to the Photon level...that would be ideal.

Latest posts