CID protection reset 18650

daan_deurloo

Newly Enlightened
I had 3 cells that shown no voltage at all or being recognized in my charger, found a tutorial on how to reset the CID on a 18650 cell and that worked for me.

Lowest voltage was 1.0V and highest 4.05V ( second 3.0V ).

These cells are quite old, let's say about 8 years old.

Charging all of them up right now, where the VP2 take ages to get the 1v cell up to atleast 2V ( Reviving mode ? ).

I know it's not smart to do it, but just wanna try if it holds atleast 1000~1200mah capacity.

Who has done this trick before by pushing in the CID with a pin ?

I'm just curious why it did trip the CID, i don't see any damage or electrolyte due to possible venting. Never seen any traces of that when extracting the cells.

Cells are CGR18650DA

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had 3 cells that shown no voltage at all or being recognized in my charger, found a tutorial on how to reset the CID on a 18650 cell and that worked for me.

Lowest voltage was 1.0V and highest 4.05V ( second 3.0V ).

These cells are quite old, let's say about 8 years old.

Charging all of them up right now, where the VP2 take ages to get the 1v cell up to atleast 2V ( Reviving mode ? ).

I know it's not smart to do it, but just wanna try if it holds atleast 1000~1200mah capacity.

Who has done this trick before by pushing in the CID with a pin ?

I'm just curious why it did trip the CID, i don't see any damage or electrolyte due to possible venting. Never seen any traces of that when extracting the cells.

Cells are CGR18650DA

I'm just going by memory, but the CRG series from Panasonic were their higher drain, lower capacity cells, usually with grey wrappers.

I see that the CRG-DA is a 2450mAh cell with a purple/pink wrapper. I see the Panasonic data sheet, with a 2007 date on it, so I'm guessing that it's an older cell.

I don't think that it's a purely lithium-cobalt chemistry, but I can't find anything specific; however, the one that came back at 1.0v, I'd charge outside if I was in a frisky mood, as charging in where the problems hit if you get the copper dendrites and then a short.

Anyhow, see what you see, just do it safely.

Chris

Last edited:

daan_deurloo

Newly Enlightened
Still keep an eye on the charger that does charge the dead cell with a ultra low charge current. Been like in the charger for 5 to 6 hours and still at 1.93V.

Other one is still not finished charging, but it got warm during charging, but not to hot. Most of my cells get a bit warm during charging, especially the older ones.

And yes these are purple wrapper cells.

I use them in my flashlight. You never know when you need them!

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still keep an eye on the charger that does charge the dead cell with a ultra low charge current. Been like in the charger for 5 to 6 hours and still at 1.93V.

Other one is still not finished charging, but it got warm during charging, but not to hot. Most of my cells get a bit warm during charging, especially the older ones.

And yes these are purple wrapper cells.

I use them in my flashlight. You never know when you need them!

I reload my own ammo, so I'm a risk taker within reason, but I'm thinking that if it were me, I'd recycle them and move on. Life's too short to worry about this stuff and good cells are inexpensive to purchase.

I've recycled 3 laptop packs, 2 Sonys and 1 HP and but for 4 of the 24, they've been decent acquisitions and I use them for spares. However, I've tested them a bit on my Opus 3400, so I have a small clue as to what's up.

The 4 that weren't, I just recycled.

Chris

daan_deurloo

Newly Enlightened
I have new cells to use ( SAMSUNG SDI ).

That low voltage cell is no good at all. As soon the charger stopped charging, voltage went way down to 3.91V.

Maybe cycling it a few times helps it. I doubt it.

Charger itself now even doesn't wanna charge it at all.

Will mark this cell and throw it somewhere.

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
I presume you mean that you stuck a screwdriver under the button top to push down the CID diaphragm. This process is illustrated quite vividly in

If that's what you did, then be aware that this could possibly be quite dangerous since it might puncture the CID, or damage the CID so that it will no longer function to prevent thermal runaway or explosion. Likely the cell already has serious issues if enough pressure built up to trigger the CID. Attempting to reuse such a cell is asking for trouble. It's akin to tickling the dragon's tail.

Last edited:

daan_deurloo

Newly Enlightened
Yes that's what i did to it.

I will do a capacity test soon on those 3 cells, under 1000mah > dont use it anymore.

My fake cell didn't even have a CID. So dangerous!

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will do a capacity test soon on those 3 cells, under 1000mah > dont use it anymore.

Current capacity has little to do with safety here. The CID pressure valve is not meant to be reset. Rather, it is meant to permanently disable the cell because the conditions that caused it to trigger may well imply that the cell is no longer safe to use (e.g. significant overcharge, overdischarge, overheating, internal shorting, etc).

My fake cell didn't even have a CID. So dangerous!

Absence of CID does not imply that it is fake. Rather, some high current cells, and cells that are used in packs with many cells may be designed without CIDs because they may not function well in such contexts.

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might think twice about fiddling with the CID if you learn more about how carefully it is constructed, e.g. peruse US Patent 20110189512 A1 CID Retention Device for Li-Ion Cell, around where it states "the two parts were joined hermetically by means of penetration welding at the middle circumferential region..."

Anyone who thinks they can recreate the circled precise CID weld by simply fiddling with a screwdriver may well be on their way to winning a Darwin award. Be safe, not sorry.

ldNsw.jpg

Last edited: