My new UK legal full size EDC Multitool / Multi-plier

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Gerber Multi-plier 600 (MP600) Bladeless (I purchased from here as the cheapest option I could find in the UK at the time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOVTbXlNMlQ

I have had a MP600 Pro Scout for years and years, probably over 10 years. I did remove the blade feature and replace with a split washer but even though logically it would be UK legal due to no locking knife I was never comfortable carrying my "modified" MP600. So recently the other day I bought a brand new one they came out with which is designed to be bladeless and comes in black :) I love gear that's black. It is extremely rugged and you can really crimp down on it with as much force as you want to. Some have described it as the AK47 of multitools. I love it, highly useful and epic design. As issued and used by the US Military (many models of MP600: http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Multi-Plier+600#Variations)

I keep this in my Maxpedition Micro Pocket Organiser, which can be seen being stored in there on my latest video I just put out with my full EDC on it.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
It's such nonsense that the UK bans knives that are safer because they won't snap shut on your fingers. All a criminal needs to rob you is a rusty pipe, and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to make rusty pipes illegal. Making guns illegal, while perhaps excessive in its simplicity, will cause a noticeable decrease in violent crime, even if it doesn't eliminate violent crime entirely (which the NRA would have you believe is the only way gun-control can possibly be justified). Making small folding utility knives illegal, however, goes too far into the realm of diminishing returns. I've carried one in my pocket since high school (even though it would've gotten me an automatic two-year suspension had I been caught), and yet somehow I've never shanked anyone.

Nice multi-tool though. My Legend 800 has the same three-sided carbide cutters, and I think it was the first Gerber to have them; glad to see they've proliferated throughout the product line.

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I understand, even a rusty pipe could be considered a weapon in the UK under some circumstances. (also pepper spray and other items)

[FONT=q_serif]Three types of offensive weapon are described:[/FONT]

• Weapons (this would include a collapsible baton).
  • Improvised weapons (such as a home-made blackjack).
  • Dual use items (which could be anything from a brick to a pair of scissors). If the item is in this category though, the prosecution would have to show the defendant didn't have a legitimate reason for carrying the item.

I don't want to drive off-topic but it's also really difficult to find any logic behind these laws.
So I am glad I can carry my Leatherman Wave, Glock 19 (no reason to carry, but I have the option) or any other "offensive" weapon (I guess I could walk around with a sword but I would get weird looks :)). And I am not in the US - there are few European countries that still allow concealed-carry (Czech Republic, Slovakia, ?). And even though all of that is allowed in our country - the crime rates are very low and gun crime is very very rare. Of course you can't walk into a gun store and walk off with a gun - you need a permit, pass some exams and comply to some rules but they are very reasonable.
But it's a matter of time - the EU is pushing very hard to ban "high-capacity" magazines, or "assault weapons"....

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I understand, even a rusty pipe could be considered a weapon in the UK under some circumstances. (also pepper spray and other items)

I don't want to drive off-topic but it's also really difficult to find any logic behind these laws.
So I am glad I can carry my Leatherman Wave, Glock 19 (no reason to carry, but I have the option) or any other "offensive" weapon (I guess I could walk around with a sword but I would get weird looks :)). And I am not in the US - there are few European countries that still allow concealed-carry (Czech Republic, Slovakia, ?). And even though all of that is allowed in our country - the crime rates are very low and gun crime is very very rare. Of course you can't walk into a gun store and walk off with a gun - you need a permit, pass some exams and comply to some rules but they are very reasonable.
But it's a matter of time - the EU is pushing very hard to ban "high-capacity" magazines, or "assault weapons"....

Yeah the laws are really foolish, but I just make sure I pander to their sense of stupidity so that at least I am in the right.

Yes I like this one a lot. Mainly due to the way the pliers are designed where when they are gripped tight, the handles meet. Unlike leathermans.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Making guns illegal, while perhaps excessive in its simplicity, will cause a noticeable decrease in violent crime, even if it doesn't eliminate violent crime entirely (which the NRA would have you believe is the only way gun-control can possibly be justified). Making small folding utility knives illegal, however, goes too far into the realm of diminishing returns. I've carried one in my pocket since high school (even though it would've gotten me an automatic two-year suspension had I been caught), and yet somehow I've never shanked anyone.

Nice multi-tool though. My Legend 800 has the same three-sided carbide cutters, and I think it was the first Gerber to have them; glad to see they've proliferated throughout the product line.
Making guns illegal will only guarantee that law abiding citizens are more targetable since none of the criminal class will dispose of theirs. The opposite is true, that once criminals are the only ones armed, crime will proliferate. Not the subject of the thread, but since you introduced it some corrections are in order.
Also you mention never having used your knife on anyone; the same goes for law abiding citizens with firearms.

Back to the thread, I like the carbide cutters as well, but have heard a lot of cases of them shattering due to being a bit too far on the brittle side. I suspect they work well enough if not abused.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Making guns illegal will only guarantee that law abiding citizens are more targetable since none of the criminal class will dispose of theirs. The opposite is true, that once criminals are the only ones armed, crime will proliferate. Not the subject of the thread, but since you introduced it some corrections are in order.
Also you mention never having used your knife on anyone; the same goes for law abiding citizens with firearms.

Back to the thread, I like the carbide cutters as well, but have heard a lot of cases of them shattering due to being a bit too far on the brittle side. I suspect they work well enough if not abused.

I have not had any problems with them breaking. But this is only a hand tool. A friend of mine who was ex-army said get a version with the remgrit saw because in an end of the world type scenario cutting through metal may prove useful! So why not, is my way of seeing it. This is the most feature-rich multi-plier that has a great design and is UK legal that I have ever seen.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have not had any problems with them breaking. But this is only a hand tool. A friend of mine who was ex-army said get a version with the remgrit saw because in an end of the world type scenario cutting through metal may prove useful! So why not, is my way of seeing it. This is the most feature-rich multi-plier that has a great design and is UK legal that I have ever seen.
I had hopes that it was a temporary issue with blades that were too hard as opposed to a design flaw. Really great that the blades are replaceable and I think if I had one I'd be interested in also carrying a set of spares, just for peace of mind.

I did saw through a 3/4" steel cable one time using my Leatherman file. Never want to do it again, but at least it worked, eventually.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
It`s amazing how many UK website sell hunting/survival knives since you cannot use them off your own land, For most people that means no further than your the front gate of your house.

I have been buying knives since i was a kid with my first penknife, I must have over 50, I bought 4 last month, But they not expensive, all of them were less than £20 each, I have another 4 i want to buy this month but i keep thinking it`s a waste of money as i cannot use them as they were made.

It`s a thing when you wish for a zombie apocalypse just to be able to use your knives.

John.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
It`s amazing how many UK website sell hunting/survival knives since you cannot use them off your own land, For most people that means no further than your the front gate of your house.

I have been buying knives since i was a kid with my first penknife, I must have over 50, I bought 4 last month, But they not expensive, all of them were less than £20 each, I have another 4 i want to buy this month but i keep thinking it`s a waste of money as i cannot use them as they were made.

It`s a thing when you wish for a zombie apocalypse just to be able to use your knives.

John.

I must discourage you. "Zombie apocalypse" is an euphemism of Soviet hordes attack whose soldier's life is cheap as dirt, so they could send thousands to die seeking for some miserable goal. Something like Great Revolution anniversary or other meaningless crap. USSR is no more and modern Russia elite has too many investments in UK to put them at risk.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must discourage you. "Zombie apocalypse" is an euphemism of Soviet hordes attack whose soldier's life is cheap as dirt, so they could send thousands to die seeking for some miserable goal. Something like Great Revolution anniversary or other meaningless crap. USSR is no more and modern Russia elite has too many investments in UK to put them at risk.

What ever it means, the sentiment is understood. With this multi-tool being UK legal and has locking tools, it has no knife of it's own. So I carry a Spyderco Squeak so that I have cutting capability. Great steel in the knife too. But if you want such a multi-tool with a knife, there are many MP600 models that have a knife. My original Pro Scout had a knife till I removed it years before they came out with a legitimately bladeless one.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be wrong, but this black layer coming off right from the box seems to me suspicious :) As if it is not supposed to last long.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The new Gerber Multi-plier 600 (MP600) Bladeless...

I have to ask. Have you had any issues with the carbide cutters breaking or even shattering? Awhile back, I wanted to get a bladeless multi-tool. One for traveling. I considered this one, but heard far to many stories of the carbide cutters being too hard, and breaking. Sometimes when being used to cut through not very thick wire at all. And the replacement for new inserts is outrageous. I do own a handful of Gerbers. But all of mine feature non-removeable cutters.

In the end I went with a SOG PowerLock Traveler for a good bladeless M.T.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to ask. Have you had any issues with the carbide cutters breaking or even shattering? Awhile back, I wanted to get a bladeless multi-tool. One for traveling. I considered this one, but heard far to many stories of the carbide cutters being too hard, and breaking. Sometimes when being used to cut through not very thick wire at all. And the replacement for new inserts is outrageous. I do own a handful of Gerbers. But all of mine feature non-removeable cutters.

In the end I went with a SOG PowerLock Traveler for a good bladeless M.T.
I have never had a carbide break on me. I have not used them much but I have done tests on comparing padlock shackle hardnesses like stainless steel, hardened steel, boron shackle etc. It would take a while to get through anything really hardened but it does work. During my tests I have never had any saw blade break.