Red-only LED for animal tracking

Trit

Newly Enlightened
Howdy Team!
Firstly, thanks to everyone who recommended me the Eagletac D25C clicky as an EDC - it's been fantastic and better than anything I would have found on my own. I've come to ask for some further advice regarding a light for animal tracking.
Whilst there are several flashlights out there which have dual white and red LED modes, the red always seem to play second fiddle to the primary white mode. I'm after something similar to the HDS rotary with red LED option, but without spending HDS money. This may not be possible, but thought I would ask! Variable output - ideally with rotary function would be ideal, but the necessary feature is Ann output of around 200-300 lumens (with ability to go lower), combination of flood and distance of possible.
Thanks in advance for your help!
T

=====Flashlight Recommendation Checklist====

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
I now live in New Zealand, doc online may Ben the easiest option here.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to $100

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained

4) Size:

____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?
rechargeable but I don't mind which

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

200-300 lumens

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

I don't need a burst mode

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work..

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____2 hours + (I critically need this light to run for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don’t know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.

These are not all needed!

14)Material/Finish/Coating

__I don't mind, but would prefer metal over plastic____.

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 as a minimum

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

Red LED

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
The first light that comes to mind is the Nitecore SRT7:
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/ILLUMINATION/SRT/SRT7/

When you say animal tracking I interpret that has blood trailing to recover an animal. For me that means a high CRI white light as it makes it easier to spot the blood. I have a Manker E14 with Nichia 219B leds that works well for me. I use the extended tube so I can run the 18650 batteries in my E14. Over on BLF they have a group buy going on for the newer version with the Nichia 219C leds. I will probably upgrade my light to 219C's at some point.

I also have the Nitecore HC90 headlamp which I use for my outdoor activities. It has RGB leds plus an infinitely variable white light that will go to 1,000 lumens. It is a little on the heavy side but it works well for me. The RGB leds don't put out a lot of light but I think is enough for me. Both lights take an 18650 battery so carrying a single spare battery in a silicone sleeve keeps me covered for a back up. I have never needed the back up battery. I only want to carry one battery type in the field for simplicity and weight. Ounces make pounds and the pounds add up.:sick2:

For me a headlamp is indespinsible for hunting. I have field dressed too many animals over the years with a flashlight between my teeth.:laughing:

For a small EDC I use a Klarus Mi7. It's a great little light but prone to accidental activation so I lock it out. With a 14500 battery it is a powerhouse for such a little package. When I am hunting the Mi7 stays home.

Bob

Last edited:

Trit

Newly Enlightened
Hi Bob - thanks for your reply!

I like the look of the Nitecore you mentioned, but I probably should have been more specific. I am tracking kiwi in New Zealand in order to monitor them, if there's a blood trail I've done something weong!!

The red LED is so not to spook them. The nitecore looks good but with only one red setting and no option to alter the brightness I don't think it's quite what's I'm after, but the headlamp's an interesting suggestion!

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except for price, the HDS custom rotary with red led fits what you needs for a red light. You could also try to look up a hog hunting light. Some vendors will have some custom lights made up with red leds.

Trit

Newly Enlightened
Hi Lou,
Yeah I'm thinking maybe I should just get an HDS... does anyone know how bright the red LED model is?

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Lou,
Yeah I'm thinking maybe I should just get an HDS... does anyone know how bright the red LED model is?

Brightness of the HDS is 200 or so lumens. It is also a very dark red compared to other red led lights. Other red led lights appear slightly orange when compared side by side. The HDS is great for lighting up things close up to 100 yards and further.
You might also consider an Armytek Predator red led. It has about the same lumen output as HDS but the led is more orange making it appear brighter. The larger head will give more throw and again make the Predator appear brighter.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightness of the HDS is 200 or so lumens. It is also a very dark red compared to other red led lights. Other red led lights appear slightly orange when compared side by side. The HDS is great for lighting up things close up to 100 yards and further.
Are you thinking of the Hyper Red HDS or the standard red? The Hyper Red is amazing, very deep, rich red. It isn't readily available though, and tough to find on the secondary market. The standard is a little more orangish.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you thinking of the Hyper Red HDS or the standard red? The Hyper Red is amazing, very deep, rich red. It isn't readily available though, and tough to find on the secondary market. The standard is a little more orangish.

The red currently available at HDS.
I have a few red led lights and headlamps and the HDS is a darker red than most of my lights.
It compares to my Zebralight H502pr photo red in color.

Trit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again Lou for your advice - much appreciated! I think I'm going to go for the 'dark adaption red' HDS, but thanks for your help!