Lost my HDS

wiiawiwb

Newly Enlightened
I recently lost my HDS which I used when backpacking. I loved it. It fit perfectly in my hand and I liked the "clicky" aspect of it rather than twisting something. Before I just go out and buy another HDS, is there something out out there that is a clicky, and comparably sized, that you would recommend?

I had forgotten just how pricey they are.

glimmer

Newly Enlightened
The Malkoff MDC is a good suggestion. I own one and think it's great. I've seriously considered an HDS, but don't really think I would benefit from "infinitely" variable output very much. The 3 levels on my MDC are really all I need. Simple and rock solid. There's a Nichia version out there too, if you are willing to sacrifice some output for better color. Although I can afford an HDS, I wonder if I would worry about it when camping, fishing, travelling, etc.... Losing a $100 light is easier to swallow than losing a $300 light. Still might end up with an HDS anyway though- just because....

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a good idea. There's a 250lm clicky for $150 on the fb group. That's practically the cost of a Malkoff.

Yes, great deal currently going on the FB group. Check out Flashlight Fanatics if you're not in it already! I have had both the Malkoff MDC and the HDS clicky. HDS is definitely the way to go between the two of them: the programmability and robustness of it simply cannot be beaten. That being said, the Malkoff is definitely a solid option, but with that killer deal...

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently lost my HDS which I used when backpacking. .......

I feel for you, that's why I take a mini mag when I do kayaking, dropping a hds into the east river would suck. Personally if I was in the market now I'd lean towards the malkoff over the hds for cost alone. All the bells and whistles on the hds are cool but practically speaking not worth the premium.

wiiawiwb

Newly Enlightened
Where would I find the "FB group" referred to above?

Is Flashlight Fanatics a subgroup in CPF?

Last edited:

wiiawiwb

Newly Enlightened
"How much are you planning to spend ?"

I resigned myself to replace the HDS and it is ~$241 + shipping. So I'd be willing to spend that amount. Obviously, I'd like to get away for something less.

archimedes

Flashaholic
"How much are you planning to spend ?"

I resigned myself to replace the HDS and it is ~$241 + shipping. So I'd be willing to spend that amount. Obviously, I'd like to get away for something less.

In that case, personally, I would look to buy a secondhand one here on CPF.

If you can't find a used one to your liking, then I'd buy new.

I don't think you'll find something different, and better, for less ... :shrug:

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where would I find the "FB group" referred to above?

Is Flashlight Fanatics a subgroup in CPF?

Flashlight Fanatics is the Facebook group. Just search it up on Facebook and request to join. If you'd like, I can tell the guy you are interested and have him hold it for you...let me know.

Wheezy59

Newly Enlightened
I too lost a$350.00 HDS recently. I'm still depressed. I'm currently carrying a $20.00 piece of crap because I'm now worried about losing it! Good luck with your search.

wiiawiwb

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight Fanatics is the Facebook group. Just search it up on Facebook and request to join. If you'd like, I can tell the guy you are interested and have him hold it for you...let me know.

I would really appreciate that, thank you. I will send a join request to them on FB.

I think I'm going to get a lower-price flashlight to hold me over for a little while. That will give me time to begin the search for an HDS in a relaxed manner.

Would a Zebralight SC52, SC62, SC63 or SC600 be a bad choice or should I just get a Malkoff MDC for now and call it quits?

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I would really appreciate that, thank you. I will send a join request to them on FB.

I think I'm going to get a lower-price flashlight to hold me over for a little while. That will give me time to begin the search for an HDS in a relaxed manner.

Would a Zebralight SC52, SC62, SC63 or SC600 be a bad choice or should I just get a Malkoff MDC for now and call it quits?

I can recommend the Zebralights as lower-cost alternatives that are very well-made and have top-notch performance. However, Zebralight is no longer making and selling the SC62. I bought one of the last few they sold. Maybe they are available from another vendor? Good luck with your decision and purchase!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've lost two HDS over the years and both times I've immediately bought another, out of the MarketPlace where the prices are a little more wallet friendly.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
My position is that the Zebralight SC63W is the best light is the peak of cost:benefit equation. Sure, an HDS has advantages but for most use it's really past the point of diminishing returns.

Not to turn this into an HDS vs Zebra thread, I personally wouldn't hesitate to by a Zebra if an HDS is stretching my budget.