Suggestions on some spare 18650 button top batteries?

Roadblock1945

Newly Enlightened
I need some spare 18650 button top batteries for my Coyote hunting light. I've been stealing the Nitecore brand battery out of my Nightcore P12GT as it's the only battery I have that is button top, all my others are flat but I need extra's.

I see those EBL brand 6-packs on Amazon have "OK" ratings but everyone says the seller has them over rated spec wise but I think the general consensus from the reviews is that the price being 6 for $18 dollars, they work well enough for what you get. Should I just get those or maybe one GOOD battery like another Nitecore?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I need some spare 18650 button top batteries for my Coyote hunting light. I've been stealing the Nitecore brand battery out of my Nightcore P12GT as it's the only battery I have that is button top, all my others are flat but I need extra's.

I see those EBL brand 6-packs on Amazon have "OK" ratings but everyone says the seller has them over rated spec wise but I think the general consensus from the reviews is that the price being 6 for $18 dollars, they work well enough for what you get. Should I just get those or maybe one GOOD battery like another Nitecore?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

It depends on how many batteries you actually need as I'm thinking you don't need 6 of them but I'm sort of leaning towards getting a pair of batteries as most likely shipping for two will be the same cost as shipping for 1 battery. If you need 6 then buying 1 better battery may be less optimal than 6 mediocre ones. There are other sources of flat top batteries online but I'm not the person who knows the best options in that effort and you may have to resort to using ebay to get them.
There is also the option of adding a button top to a battery but that probably will require rewrapping it to work.

ven

Flashaholic
I would get a couple of decent cells over 6 average(or maybe poor) cells tbh. Samsung 30Q buttons, Sanyo GA 10a 3500mah to name just 2 come pretty cheap these days. Inside the nitecore 3400mah wraps will be panasonic B cells. These are getting a little old now, but may be able to find them cheap. They are still decent cells, maybe worth a look on amazon. Not sure where you are, but mtn electonics,imrbatteries, going gear and illumination supply to name some off the top of my head.
:welcome:

pgogborn

Newly Enlightened
There is also the option of adding a button top to a battery but that probably will require rewrapping it to work.
Adding a magnetic button top spacer should not require rewrapping,

In the UK putting 18650 magnetic button top into a search engine turned up several local suppliers - and a link to a candlepowerforums thread on the topic.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other forum with "budget" in the name has a group Buy of 4 Sanyo 30Q button tops shipped from here in the USA for $20.
If this post is inappropriate, please let me know. I have no wish to rile feathers, just hoping to steer a fellow flashaholic to a good deal. Thanks.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Adding a magnetic button top spacer should not require rewrapping,

In the UK putting 18650 magnetic button top into a search engine turned up several local suppliers - and a link to a candlepowerforums thread on the topic.

The plain magnets do work but aren't foolproof as they can slip and cause shorting at times.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The plain magnets do work but aren't foolproof as they can slip and cause shorting at times.
I went to IMRBatteries and got a sheet of their end protectors. They are basically a small paper disk slightly less than the diameter of an 18650, with a hole in the center. The magnets I have are the same size as the center hole. The disk is adhesive, and is thick enough to not allow the magnet to slide around. Works great on my 30Qs.

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
Not knowing what kind of light your "Coyote hunting" light is it would be hard to recommend a particular battery. However, I'd go along with Ven's recommendation of Sanyo GA cells. Also the Panasonic B cells are probably fine. They should give the most run time on a typical light. If your "coyote hunting" light is putting out some serious lumens and needs a lot of current then I'd go for the Samsung 30Q cells.

BTW, thanks CrazyEddieFirst for the tip on the group buy. I picked up four 30Q cells for my K60 that has been limping along on Panasonic B cells. _Z_

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to IMRBatteries and got a sheet of their end protectors. They are basically a small paper disk slightly less than the diameter of an 18650, with a hole in the center. The magnets I have are the same size as the center hole. The disk is adhesive, and is thick enough to not allow the magnet to slide around. Works great on my 30Qs.

Thanks Timothybil, I have purchased a number of batteries from IMR, pleased with their pricing & selection but was unaware of the adhesive discs. Your welcome bwalker, Gotta love CPF seeing fellow flashaholics sharing information to the betterment of all....