Any new flashlights using newest generation of leds xhp70.2 xhp50.2 xp-l2 xm-l3

easilyled

Flashaholic
Does anyone know of any new production flashlights using the very latest generation of emitters?

ie. xhp70.2
xhp50.2
xp-l2
xm-l3
xp-g3

I know that modders like vinghuyen have started upgrading existing flashlights with these emitters but so far I'm unaware of many (or any) production flashlights that are using them.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, plus the two replies above,

Manufacturers: Lots more will be out soon.

In a hurry? Add one more reason to go mod. I got mine from Vinh54. I got four XHP50.2 in a Nitecore TM06Svn 9,500 lumens, and four XHP70.2 in an Acebeam X45vn 25,000 lumens.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've played with some in my existing hosts. Honestly, I haven't tried, or seen beamshots, of one that I actually liked. They've all got a really ugly corona and tons of tint shift across the beam's width - very inconsistent. They're very efficient, tons of output, so they've got that going for them. But what good is tons of light if I can't stand to look at it?

Not trying to be all negative and others may love them, but I think Cree's latest LEDs are some of the worst they've made in a while. But maybe its just me...

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight just started shipping in the last month or two the H53 headlamps and SC5 II flashlights with XP-L2 emitters in them.

I recall somebody around here complaining about tint shift across the beam with an XP-G3 equipped light, but I couldn't tell you what light it was, or even if was a mod or regular production light.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
While emarkd's points are valid, the XHP50.2 is a noticeable improvement over the XHP50 with regards to the cross and donut hole. Surprisingly it works well in an SMO reflector, although the tint shift and yellow corona is visible in the warm one I tried. I dont mind it though.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replies so far.

The ugly tint shift sounds a little worrying. Hopefully they will be able to improve this as time progresses. Maybe its better to wait for feedback first before rushing in to purchase a flashlight with these leds straight away then.

I'm hoping that we can keep this thread open and keep adding to it as more lights with the new leds become available. I find it very helpful to know this and hopefully others do too.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XHP70.2 does have tint shift, both the neutral and cool white versions. However, these are really powerful lights, suitable for outdoors. I don't notice the shift in nature.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ugly tint shift sounds a little worrying. Hopefully they will be able to improve this as time progresses.

I hope so too, but to my mind they've got a serious design flaw. All of them (iirc) have a full phosphor layer. The phosphor on the top of the die goes all the way to the edge. They're solid yellow. Sounds nice right, more phosphor = more photons. At least, I think that's the idea. But the underlying LED, the actual emitter part, doesn't go all the way to the edge. So those phosphors near the edge of the die aren't getting "excited" nearly as strongly as the ones right over the diode part. So they don't produce the same emission. The result is a nasty off-color coronal ring surrounding the hotspot.

At least, I like to pretend I understand all this stuff :) I know the engineers at Cree are a helluva lot smarter than me so I don't claim to know more than them about this. But in my limited understanding I just can't see how all those phosphors can be excited at the same level. And the beams and beamshots I've seen from this new class of LEDs would seem to back me up. But if someone knows or understands something I don't here, I welcome them to correct me or add to the discussion.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking Cree is making their LED's for maximum output/efficiency for general lighting needs and flashlights are low priority as the masses don't criticise like us minority nerds do.

That's probably a very relevant though. You put those new emitters in a street lamp or even a frosted light bulb and suddenly those "flaws" go away entirely, blended back into the overall emission.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's probably a very relevant though. You put those new emitters in a street lamp or even a frosted light bulb and suddenly those "flaws" go away entirely, blended back into the overall emission.

Yes that was what I was alluding to :thumbsup:
I guess manufacturers are just plonking the new LED's into existing lights (even Vihn) to give us what we want, but till they make a reflector designed just for the new angle of the beam these new LEDs put out we will get weird artefacts/tint shift.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've played with some in my existing hosts. Honestly, I haven't tried, or seen beamshots, of one that I actually liked. They've all got a really ugly corona and tons of tint shift across the beam's width - very inconsistent. They're very efficient, tons of output, so they've got that going for them. But what good is tons of light if I can't stand to look at it?

Not trying to be all negative and others may love them, but I think Cree's latest LEDs are some of the worst they've made in a while. But maybe its just me...

I would like to see beam shots. Can you post a link? I'm guardedly optimistic about the new LEDs's.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam tint is a concern, but I'm excited (pun intended) about efficiency. I have no interest in more lumens, but less heat would be a worthwhile development.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like most aside from those chasing output records are quite content with the output at this point and are looking for better beam quality. As others have said, these LEDs are made to be used in light fixtures/settings with frosted glass where there will be no artifacts. It seems like we should think more about doing the same thing. The Scotch tape/DC Fix solution actually works very well to even out shape and tint inconsistencies in the beam but many are hesitant to do it because it knocks the output down. Don't be affraid! The efficiency of these new emitters is so high that even with a frosted lens, you're still seeing the same output you were getting with the last generation LEDs.

Give it a shot! You'll thank yourselves.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Until I had some feedback, there was no reason for me to think that beam quality was not just as good with the newer emitters. The hope would have been that efficiency had improved but not at the expense of beam quality, just like most of the time when newer emitters come out.

I'm still hoping that the manufacturers might improve the beam quality of these newer emitters in time anyway.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a group buy on HaikeLite SC02 MTG2. Not a listed by you emitter, but it is a new one. Promised to be a nice flooder:

IMG_0808.jpg

easilyled

Flashaholic
There is a group buy on HaikeLite SC02 MTG2. Not a listed by you emitter, but it is a new one. Promised to be a nice flooder:

Thanks but I don't think the MTG2 is new. I have some lights and drop-ins with this emitter that are over a year old. It does produce a very nice floody beam with a really nice tint.