RMSK, Inc.        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any new flashlights using newest generation of leds xhp70.2 xhp50.2 xp-l2 xm-l3

Default Any new flashlights using newest generation of leds xhp70.2 xhp50.2 xp-l2 xm-l3

Does anyone know of any new production flashlights using the very latest generation of emitters?

ie. xhp70.2
    xhp50.2
    xp-l2
    xm-l3
    xp-g3

I know that modders like vinghuyen have started upgrading existing flashlights with these emitters but so far I'm unaware of many (or any) production flashlights that are using them.
    In layman's terms, "theory" means an idea. However "scientific theory" is fact because it requires proof.

Default Re: Any new flashlights using newest generation of leds xhp70.2 xhp50.2 xp-l2 xm-l3

The new acebeam x80 will have hxp50.2

Default Re: Any new flashlights using newest generation of leds xhp70.2 xhp50.2 xp-l2 xm-l3

Kaidomain has a couple with XHP50.2, including a C8!
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlight’s potential, not sure where it got it’s popularity. - DB Customs

Also, plus the two replies above,

Manufacturers: Lots more will be out soon.

In a hurry? Add one more reason to go mod. I got mine from Vinh54. I got four XHP50.2 in a Nitecore TM06Svn 9,500 lumens, and four XHP70.2 in an Acebeam X45vn 25,000 lumens.
    Acebeam two X65Vn, X45vn70.2. Eagletac MX25L4CvnT XP-L. Fenix TK75vnQ70. Manker MK34Vn XPL.
    Nitecore TM06Svn 4 x XHP50.2. Noctigon Meteor M43vn XP-L dd. P60vn Quad XP-L HD 2 cell host Cryos Cu head. Thrunite TN36UTvn, TN42vn.

I've played with some in my existing hosts. Honestly, I haven't tried, or seen beamshots, of one that I actually liked. They've all got a really ugly corona and tons of tint shift across the beam's width - very inconsistent. They're very efficient, tons of output, so they've got that going for them. But what good is tons of light if I can't stand to look at it?

Not trying to be all negative and others may love them, but I think Cree's latest LEDs are some of the worst they've made in a while. But maybe its just me...

Zebralight just started shipping in the last month or two the H53 headlamps and SC5 II flashlights with XP-L2 emitters in them.

I recall somebody around here complaining about tint shift across the beam with an XP-G3 equipped light, but I couldn't tell you what light it was, or even if was a mod or regular production light.

While emarkd's points are valid, the XHP50.2 is a noticeable improvement over the XHP50 with regards to the cross and donut hole. Surprisingly it works well in an SMO reflector, although the tint shift and yellow corona is visible in the warm one I tried. I dont mind it though.
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlight’s potential, not sure where it got it’s popularity. - DB Customs

Thanks for the replies so far.

The ugly tint shift sounds a little worrying. Hopefully they will be able to improve this as time progresses. Maybe its better to wait for feedback first before rushing in to purchase a flashlight with these leds straight away then.

I'm hoping that we can keep this thread open and keep adding to it as more lights with the new leds become available. I find it very helpful to know this and hopefully others do too.
    In layman's terms, "theory" means an idea. However "scientific theory" is fact because it requires proof.

The XHP70.2 does have tint shift, both the neutral and cool white versions. However, these are really powerful lights, suitable for outdoors. I don't notice the shift in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    The ugly tint shift sounds a little worrying. Hopefully they will be able to improve this as time progresses.
    I hope so too, but to my mind they've got a serious design flaw. All of them (iirc) have a full phosphor layer. The phosphor on the top of the die goes all the way to the edge. They're solid yellow. Sounds nice right, more phosphor = more photons. At least, I think that's the idea. But the underlying LED, the actual emitter part, doesn't go all the way to the edge. So those phosphors near the edge of the die aren't getting "excited" nearly as strongly as the ones right over the diode part. So they don't produce the same emission. The result is a nasty off-color coronal ring surrounding the hotspot.

At least, I like to pretend I understand all this stuff I know the engineers at Cree are a helluva lot smarter than me so I don't claim to know more than them about this. But in my limited understanding I just can't see how all those phosphors can be excited at the same level. And the beams and beamshots I've seen from this new class of LEDs would seem to back me up. But if someone knows or understands something I don't here, I welcome them to correct me or add to the discussion.

I'm thinking Cree is making their LED's for maximum output/efficiency for general lighting needs and flashlights are low priority as the masses don't criticise like us minority nerds do.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    I'm thinking Cree is making their LED's for maximum output/efficiency for general lighting needs and flashlights are low priority as the masses don't criticise like us minority nerds do.
    That's probably a very relevant though. You put those new emitters in a street lamp or even a frosted light bulb and suddenly those "flaws" go away entirely, blended back into the overall emission.

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    That's probably a very relevant though. You put those new emitters in a street lamp or even a frosted light bulb and suddenly those "flaws" go away entirely, blended back into the overall emission.
    Yes that was what I was alluding to
    I guess manufacturers are just plonking the new LED's into existing lights (even Vihn) to give us what we want, but till they make a reflector designed just for the new angle of the beam these new LEDs put out we will get weird artefacts/tint shift.

I've played with some in my existing hosts. Honestly, I haven't tried, or seen beamshots, of one that I actually liked. They've all got a really ugly corona and tons of tint shift across the beam's width - very inconsistent. They're very efficient, tons of output, so they've got that going for them. But what good is tons of light if I can't stand to look at it?

Not trying to be all negative and others may love them, but I think Cree's latest LEDs are some of the worst they've made in a while. But maybe its just me...
    I would like to see beam shots. Can you post a link? I'm guardedly optimistic about the new LEDs's.
    Fully potted or bust...

Beam tint is a concern, but I'm excited (pun intended) about efficiency. I have no interest in more lumens, but less heat would be a worthwhile development.
    Fully potted or bust...

Seems like most aside from those chasing output records are quite content with the output at this point and are looking for better beam quality. As others have said, these LEDs are made to be used in light fixtures/settings with frosted glass where there will be no artifacts. It seems like we should think more about doing the same thing. The Scotch tape/DC Fix solution actually works very well to even out shape and tint inconsistencies in the beam but many are hesitant to do it because it knocks the output down. Don't be affraid! The efficiency of these new emitters is so high that even with a frosted lens, you're still seeing the same output you were getting with the last generation LEDs.

Give it a shot! You'll thank yourselves.

Until I had some feedback, there was no reason for me to think that beam quality was not just as good with the newer emitters. The hope would have been that efficiency had improved but not at the expense of beam quality, just like most of the time when newer emitters come out.

I'm still hoping that the manufacturers might improve the beam quality of these newer emitters in time anyway.

There is a group buy on HaikeLite SC02 MTG2. Not a listed by you emitter, but it is a new one. Promised to be a nice flooder:

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    There is a group buy on HaikeLite SC02 MTG2. Not a listed by you emitter, but it is a new one. Promised to be a nice flooder:
    Thanks but I don't think the MTG2 is new. I have some lights and drop-ins with this emitter that are over a year old. It does produce a very nice floody beam with a really nice tint.

I love the beam from MTG2, but I've had one for 2 years.

Wouldn't touch any of the new Cree stuff with a 10' pole, terrible light quality for flashlight applications and the XP-G3 is a worse thrower than the XP-G2 for the thrower people.
    That said, if you want raw output, a frosted optic/lens or appropriate reflector angle and OP should make the crap beams tolerable.

In a way, I'm happy if the new generation of emitters are not favourably regarded as flashlight material, which certainly seems to be the consensus so far. It means that all my flashlights are up-to-date as is and don't need upgrading at the moment.

Very interesting, tbh i have not got any of the latest LED's pretty much because i am yet to hear anything positive. I would simply rather have 10,000lm of nice CT over 20,000 of blue/green/yellow. As much as I like high output, beam pattern ,CT and tint are far more important for me. Most of us can get by with far less than a 1000lm, why have crazy amounts but not easy on the eye. All subjective and we all have different wants and needs granted, maybe i have got too fussy! But once you have been spoiled by xpl HI 4000k or 219b 4000/4500k..............its hard for me to put up with anything not as easy on the eye................even if twice as bright(dont care).
    Out of the "newer" LED's, its only the xp-g3 i have had experience with.................far from impressed. Yet the xp-g2 4000k and 5000k still today hold their own IMO.
    Yellow i can cope with easy(not too yellow though!), blue, green no matter what is a no no for me. As much as i want to light up everything ahead, there is no point if i dont like looking at what is illuminated. Has to be easy or true to life or for me pointless. Guess i am trying to say, give me 100lm of accurate colours over 500lm of washed out faded colours(subjective as its not everyone's priority).

from the zebra thread post: #395
    Quote Originally Posted by jruser View Post
    I got mine today from the new batch. Beam pattern is terrible. yellow hole in the middle of the hotspot, surrounded by decent tint hotspot, surrounded by yellow ring, surrounded by decent tint spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by jruser View Post

What causes this? reflector? LED? centering is fine.
    the XP-L2 causes it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga
    I think the latest generation of cree LEDS are prone to tint variation across the beam.
    Yup, pretty much any recent Cree LED that has the full phosphor layer, the ones where the entire top side of the package is yellow to the edges, has that terrible off-color corona. XP-G3s, XP-L2s, the new XHP50.2s, etc. Ugh.
    this report explains the reason for the tint shift:
    http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54987
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyB
    pronounced angular/spatial “tint shift” in the beam which was distracting and hindered object identification. In this post I will explain these observations as resulting from the new “flip-chip” architecture that the XPG3 uses.
    Conclusions:
    The actual XPG3 die luminance is relatively low (compared to dedomed XPL V6 and XPG2), as several in-flashlight measurements suggested. The flip-chip architecture used by the XPG3 causes light to escape to the sides which caused errors in bare die luminance measurements. The total lumen output is high, but significant amounts of that light emanate from the area to the sides of the die. This fact causes the undesirable tint-shift in flashlight beams.
    I think:
    "any recent Cree LED that has the full phosphor layer" = flip-chip architecture = XP-L2 in new Zebras

The Zanflare F2 is advertised as having an XP-G3. However, pictures on the product page and discussion on the BLF review thread indicate that it's actually using the XP-G2. I have a review sample coming tomorrow and I'll confirm what is in mine too.

The Sofirn SP31 & SP32 use the XP-L2 V6 3D.

Thorfire is also coming out with at a minimum 2 lights using the XP-L2 V6 3D on top of them using it in the Q8 (so at least 3 lights).
    Last edited by SoCalTiger; 06-27-2017 at 11:52 AM.

I happened to know some used XHP70 like Fenix TK47UE, really a super bright torch. For xhp70.2 and others, so far not much information. But I think it's necessary to be up-to-date.

I can't afford to replace all of my lights for every new generation of LED's. Someday, there will be a Hi CRi XHP900.8. I'll upgrade then. Output is subservient to beam tint and thermal management.
    Fully potted or bust...

Jetbeam TH20

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Does anyone know of any new production flashlights using the very latest generation of emitters?

ie. xhp70.2
    xhp50.2
    xp-l2
    xm-l3
    xp-g3

I know that modders like vinghuyen have started upgrading existing flashlights with these emitters but so far I'm unaware of many (or any) production flashlights that are using them.

Acebeam k30 has the xhp70.2

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Acebeam k30 has the xhp70.2
    Thanks Mark. I noticed that. It looks like it has many features that I'd like. Compact, yet powerful and with a moonlight mode and tailstanding capability.

The advertised 5200 lumens steps down quickly from what I can gather from the incomplete specs. How quickly I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast