Did I overlook any USB Li-ion/NiMH chargers? And is this okay for the batteries?

binary visions

Newly Enlightened
I've been digging through the archives looking for the right USB charger, and seem to have found two that don't quite meet what I'd like. I'm just wondering if I've overlooked anything?

I'd like the charger to:
  • Charge over USB
  • Must use micro-USB (or USB-C) interface for charging
  • Charge both Li-ion and NiMH batteries
  • Have two charging slots, but be able to charge one battery at a time
  • (Optional but preferable) Act as a USB power source

The two that I've found that look the best are the XTAR VC2 and the Nitecore UM20. Unfortunately, the VC2 requires a proprietary cable (has a barrel connector on the charger side), and the UM20 does not support NiMH batteries.

I am a traveler and look to keep things as absolutely small and lightweight as possible. Standardizing on USB for everything has been a great help. I've got a couple Panasonic USB chargers for my NiMH batteries, but am looking to add a Li-ion flashlight to the mix I'd rather not carry multiple chargers. Unfortunately, my camera flash only supports AA batteries so I'm stuck there.

Lastly, I'm wondering if there are any downsides to using these USB chargers all the time (even when not traveling). It'd be nice to just use them at home the same way I use them traveling, but if using the USB chargers regularly causes any adverse side-effects on the batteries (e.g. shortened lifespan), I'd consider adding a nicer charger for home use.

Any help? Thanks!

binary visions

Newly Enlightened
As a follow-up (I don't see an edit button), if I'm stuck with two different chargers, I'd probably go with the Nitecore F2, which is tiny and acts as a power bank, so I've got two of my needs covered there in a smaller package. A setup that small makes carrying a second charger more palatable.

Haven't seen any reviews of the F2 here, so anyone with experience please pipe up!

binary visions

Newly Enlightened
What about LiitoKala Lii-202, it is not good as power bank, but nice as a small compact charger.
http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger LiitoKala Lii-202 UK.html

Thanks for the suggestion, I forgot to mention I looked at the 202 and it looked nice as a charger. I've still got it on the list if I can't find a good charger that doubles as a powerbank.

I've got a big USB power bank right now that I like, but it's not very flexible - it's huge and heavy, which is nice when I need a lot of power, but I can't cut it in half when I don't need as much. I was hoping that a few 18650 batteries would fulfill both needs - I can always toss a couple extra batteries in my bag when I need them, and leave them at home when I don't.

tigman_tim

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I like and use the Opus BT-C100. It does Li-ion and NiMH and has power bank function.

binary visions

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I like and use the Opus BT-C100. It does Li-ion and NiMH and has power bank function.

That looks like a nice unit. Unfortunately, it's kinda huge for a single battery charger, especially with the big LCD readout on the bottom. In theory, I like seeing the data, but in practice, I think it makes a pair of them too big considering the downside of two devices and two USB cables.

I appreciate the suggestion, though!

I'm leaning towards a Nitecore F2 and just accepting that I'll carry my (relatively small and light) AA charger as well. Moving my flashlight to an 18650 is fewer AA batteries I have to carry anyway, and maybe one day I can get away from AA batteries in my flash.