Fitorch        

Thread: Brightest Double AAA light?

Default Brightest Double AAA light?

Hey guys-

For work, I use a flash light fairly regularly and currently use a Streamlight Microstream.

I like it due to it's small size and it's fairly bright.

Would you candlepower guru's have any suggestions on a better single or double cell flashlight?

TIA

BUF
    Last edited by BellyUpFish; 06-19-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Default Re: Brightest Double AAA light?

That is a pretty broad request. Brightness, tint, CRI, runtime, building material, PWM or not....and many more parameters to consider.

Have you tried http://flashlights.parametrek.com/ to narrow down your search a bit?
    THRUNITE Archer1AV2|TiS|TN4A HI|TH20..all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+HighCRI modded Mini-Mag2AAA
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens)

You have *no* idea that can of worms you just opened.

A couple of quick suggestions: the Streamlight Stylus Pro is basically the x2 AAA version of the Microstream.

The Mini-Maglite in x2 AAA is surprisingly nice.

In Wal-Mart, they have a no-name penlight that runs on x2 AAAs and has a nice bright flood pattern with a tail clicky. I was pleasantly surprised at $14.
    "We canít just go with MBAV because itís out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

Flashaholic*

Depends on what you mean with brightest. The nitecore mt06 got a tiny xq-e led that will give a brighter hotsopt than the normal 2xaaa lights. They also have a version with nichia hi cri led. But if you want most throw go for the xq-e led, it will be hard to beat in terms of lux.

I guess it was a broad request..

Let me try and narrow it down.

Run time isn't terribly important, I typically will look at whatever I need to look at briefly and keep moving. Most of my flashlight use involves looking at ID tags hanging off valves or leaks on pipes fairly high 20'+ into the overhead of our plant.

I don't need a wide flood pattern but more of a focused spot light.

Perhaps check out the " Recommend... " subforum, and especially the stickied questionnaire.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=372269

If you decide to copy/paste/comment with that there, just let me know and I'll close down this thread.

Here's another link that may be of interest,

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=432937
    Last edited by archimedes; 06-25-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Probably a rear clicky, for the kind of use you're describing.

Take a look at the Preon 2 by FourSevens. Runs on x2 AAAs, with five lighting plans to choose from, including a single mode "high" which fits your description.

And here's a review of the Preon 2 on CPF: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...eons-P1-and-P2!
    "We canít just go with MBAV because itís out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

Cause you never mentioned budget. A very important factor on this forum.
    On the Cheap:
    For $20 or so, maybe try out a MiniMag AAA. Pretty sure you can add a Tailcap switch too.
    I like the Lumintop AAA. It has a nice beam.

Double the budget & double the fun!
    Peak Eiger Ultra QTC AAA. It can run on standard Alkaleaks or 10440 cells. 10440's will give you 3.7 volts vs the average 1.5 volts from a regular alkaline AAA.

Now for a different school of thought.
    If you like the AAA due to size and want power, search up BLF X5 XPL-HI. It is what I would call AA forum factor. It runs on a 14500 cell. Like I mentioned above, these are 3.7 volt cells, unlike a 1.5 volt alkaline. This light throws very well. Great for brief illumination.

So to sum a few things up if I went way over board:
    10440 are rechargeable and the same size as a AAA cell. They are unprotected and typically put out 3.7 volts. A light running one of these on high can only run short bursts and the battery will not last as long as a regular AAA.
    The 14500 is the same as above but in a AA size.

Also know, there are some normal AAA lights like a Streamlight single AAA that can run a 10440. They will typically put out a good bit more light and usually it's ok for short brief blasts. However, Use at your own risk. Also, you can't stick two 10440's in a light that holds two AAA's. The voltage will fry stuff instantly.
    Sorry if I went way out there. lol
    Last edited by Str8stroke; 06-25-2017 at 08:02 PM.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

As far as stock AAAs go, I rely on the Lumintop IYP365 2AAA penlight on a daily basis. Very bright, 3 modes, and very reliable.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 07-08-2017 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Typo.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

MiniMag 2aaa.

Streamlight has a brighter than a microstream ProTac 1aaa. Pretty potent little flashlight but that 2aaa mini mag is cheap and easy to find at local box stores. US made with mostly US parts to boot.
    John 3:16
    "Girls from Montana are good dancers" -PK