Streamlight TL-2 - Why Not?

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never see the TL-2 incand mentioned when someone is wanting a small and bright light. The reviews indicate that it has more output than a Surefire E2, and is available for around $45 I believe. It is almost as small as the E2.

I do not have a TL-2 incand, but do have a TL-2 LED, and it is a great little light. I find that it has adequate throw for about 50 yards, and is small and light.

I won't argue whether or not it is the same quality as the Surefire E2, but I find that it is all that I need, and is of good quality. I believe that for the difference in cost, it is a better buy than the Surefire.

No quarrel if you want a Surefire E2e just because you want it, but I think that the TL-2 will do everything that the stokc E2e will do. Where do you disagree here? I do have a SF E2e and a E1e just because I what them, but not because they are superior to the SL.

Jerry

Jerry

paulr

Flashaholic
The E2e is noticably smaller than a TL2. A TL2 is closer to a 6P. But it's a nice light, for sure, and the spare bulb inside is a big win.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, the TL-2 is much closer to an E2e than a 6P. Yes the E2e is smaller in the bezel and a tiny bit smaller in body diameter, but they're just about the same length. Think of it as an E2e with a mini turbohead.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
TL-2 xenon is an excellent light, identical to the TL-2LED except for the LED. It is one of the longest-throwing 2x123s despite its Scorpion bulb because of its newly designed reflector. It is somewhat bigger and heavier than the E2E:

TL-2
4 7/8" L
1 1/4" Bezel dia
7/8" Body dia
4.1oz Wt

E2E
4 5/8" L
1" Bezel dia
13/16" Body dia
3.2oz Wt

but is still significantly smaller than "standard size" 2x123 lights, though the G2 is .1oz lighter.

Brightnorm

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been impressed with my TL-2LED. It is not as bright as my PM6-LED, but is good enough.

So I guess I continue to wonder why no one ever recommends it cosidering its small size, brightness, and cost. I notice that LA Police Gear has them for #39.99. Oh just round it up to $40. Just a little over half the price of a E2e.

Jerry

jbroker83

Enlightened
I love my TL-2, and you are right, it doesn't seem to get much mention when talking about an edc light. I also agree with Quickbeam on this one, my TL-2 Xenon is much closer to my E2e, not my 6P. The 6P is up there with the PM6. I love the throw and output from the TL-2, and when doing some "field" tests in the darkest of dark fields, found that my TL-2 was considerably brighter and threw much further than both my G2, Scorpion, and my 6P.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get the "it's alot bigger than an E2e stuff", either. I don't have a TL2, but held my L4 (which is a little longer than an E2, and nowhere close to a 6P) up to a TL2 in it's package, and they were the same size.
If I were buying an incandescent for EDC or work, and wanted more throw than a E2e, the TL2 would be it.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TL-2 Xenon is my 2/123 of choice (I sold my 6Ps, and 9Ps), along with my TL-3 Xenon.

I have two of both of them, and will NOT sell them.

On Quickbeams site, the TL-2 TROUNCES the E2 in lux/lumen equivalents, 71/59 vs 38/40.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
TL-2/xenon is a great little light. Uses the same reflector and bulb (and bulb assembly) as the Scorpion.

Good stuff!

--dan

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Dan,

I just reexamined my Scorpion and TL-2. I can't remove the reflectors; they seem to be very similar or identical in size and shape as you said but the texturing is totally different, at least on mine. The TL-2,s is very shiny, mirror-bright with very subtle texturing appearing almost like slight smooth disturbances in a liquid metal surface. The Scorpion's reflector looks almost satin-gray in comparison with smaller "facets", (for want of a better term) and isn't nearly as shiny as the TL-2's reflector. Unlike my TL-2 xenon, the Scorpion won't focus to a small concentrated spot and doesn't throw nearly as far, though at close or mid range the beam is very impressive.

Brightnorm

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both these lights don't use "bulb assemblies", i.e. bulb and reflector together, they use bi-pin replacement bulbs. One replacement is stored under the bottom of the light assembly under a shiny contact cap.

I can't, after close scrutiny, tell any difference in the Scorpion/TL-2 reflector finish. I do NOT disagree with Brightnorm, just my observation.

There very well may be "revisions", or changes out there, but not on my samples.

My Scorpions are at least one year old, my TL-2 about 3 months.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
Both these lights don't use "bulb assemblies", i.e. bulb and reflector together)", they use bi-pin replacement bulbs. One replacement is stored under the bottom of the light assembly under a shiny contact cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like the Scorpion.... I like that...

I can say- I've never bought a Streamlight I was unhappy with.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I right in thinking the NF-2 has the same dimensions as the TL-2? If so, you even get a choice of body styles; it looks like the NF-2 has cross-checkering.

I understand the beams on these aren't SF-smooth, but are they better than Maglite-blotchy?

Joe

paulr

Flashaholic
The TL3 beam is reasonably smooth but has kind of an irregular shape. It's certainly not anything like a crappy M*g beam.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand the beams on these aren't SF-smooth, but are they better than Maglite-blotchy?>>>>>

Says who ? I've been reading this crap since I joined this forum over a year ago. Hmmm, I had 6Ps/9Ps/Scorpions, and soon obtained TL-2/3 Xenons. Wrongo buddy...........

Pardon me, but TL/Scorpion beams are NOT inferior to Surefire beams. Believe it or not, they aren't even OVAL, as many SF beams are.

AND, the darn bulbs don't cost $ 25.

This SF beam perfection is a CPF "repeat after me bull" , repetition. Not so my friend.

You've been listening to the "agree with me" faction.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Au contraire, my friend, I am personally in the midst of de-Surefireing myself. The prices have gotten ridiculous, and though SF quality and innovation remains top notch, the prices plus bulb fragility have me looking everywhere for replacements. Luckily, some of the other companies -- Streamlight among them -- are finally beginning to become competitive with some of SF's products. The *******s keep dragging me back in though -- this time, with the E2D. And likely that X200 weapon-mounted light. And, I'm sure, something else down the line.

Anyway, I've seen Scorpion beams, and I don't think they are SF smooth by any stretch, but not horrible either. If the TL and NF have good beams, that's great.

How are the TL and NF holding up as far as getting knocked around and getting bulb breakages? Based on the noted lack of comment that started this thread, probably not enough of them around to draw any conclusions.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I had no idea the TL-2 was that close in size to an E2e. only 1/4" difference in bezel diameter and 1/16" in body diameter? Can anyone post pics of the E2e, TL-2 and 6P side by side? I am really interested in this now. I'd like to see what the OD color looks like too because I've heard it's more like either a sage or a forest green. I'd appreciate seeing pics if at all possible. Beam shot would be helpful too, but I know that may be stretching it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
For people that actually *use* their lights they will never notice the minor difference between SF and SL. If you shine them on the wall you will. This is blown way out of proportion.

Streamlight offers great lights for alot less in upfront and long run cost with a lifetime warranty. The TL and Twin Task series are awesome. I also just ordered a 4AA 7led that gets alot of praise. I too have yet to be unhappy with a SL, especially the price.

artar

Enlightened
DSC01817s.jpg