Anybody got any suggestions what to do with this?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a cerakote hds I bought from neo lumens for over €380 ...
ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1498086671.433556.jpg

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a one off and very rare... probably why Henry stopped doing cerakote. But I need to fix it cause it's really winding me up.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
attachment.php

This is a one off and very rare... probably why Henry stopped doing cerakote. But I need to fix it cause it's really winding me up.

beautiful, with potential for improvement

breathe

It looks shocking mostly because of the bezel. I would remove the orange, and shine the bezel up :)
the body, I actually like very much. Im a fan of two tone, color in the grooves, worn in, not out, look.
Also specifically like the full black beveled head and rotary stop ring. I would be tempted to shine those black portions as accents.
I also like that the cap has its own richer color, proof of the effect of real world use. Keep it as is and give it some love.

You got yourself a beauty, congrats! Just needs some TLC.

What is the LED in it?

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny.... I was actually thinking the same. Only shitter is I went too far with the razor blade and brought out the natural al... in that one diamond place... but I think I can cover it up. The tail cap I m not sure about... cause that was proper cerakoted (and if the rest of it was the same I d be happy)
I can't get it down to the black like I could with the rest of the light.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The led is the xpg 2 I think,.. but there are different grades... I like this one and it s the nutz as far as tint goes and I like it

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
beautiful, with potential for improvement

breathe

It looks shocking mostly because of the bezel. I would remove the orange, and shine the bezel up :)
the body, I actually like very much. Im a fan of two tone, color in the grooves, worn in, not out, look.
Also specifically like the full black beveled head and rotary stop ring. I would be tempted to shine those black portions as accents.
I also like that the cap has its own richer color, proof of the effect of real world use. Keep it as is and give it some love.

You got yourself a beauty, congrats! Just needs some TLC.

What is the LED in it?

You think the cap should be left alone? How bout With a raised tail button

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this one and it s the nutz as far as tint goes

she's a jewel,
love the hand rubbed safety orange finish,
don't go back to black ;-)

savor the quality, long after the price is forgotten

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m thinking body is ok, I need to commission a us army stencil with my name, cover up that silver bit. You say tailcap should be as it is... straight orange cause that cerakote was done proper. I can't scratch it off like I could the rest. The rest of the body was done different....
And I m good with code reds cause I can improvise so let's take a negative and turn it into a positive.. hell it may be the only one in the world!

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon the price i ll never forget but at the same time this one will never be for sale. I don't know this one has a connection to me. When I get finished with it... it will be the only one on earth!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
glad you're getting to your happy place

someone with tools and skills I don't have could easily quickly, and inexpensively, take the bezel off, buff it out, and reinstall it, without doing any damage to anything at all.. in my perfect dream world..

the glass is half full!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rock it Roll it, Use it like you Stole it!
Otherwise,
Idea: Try some Oven Cleaner & copper wire brush on it. Chances are it will strip down really well. Then polish or go natural with the Aluminum. Don't leave oven cleaner on long. It will eat some aluminum for lunch.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
glad you're getting to your happy place

someone with tools and skills I don't have could easily quickly, and inexpensively, take the bezel off, buff it out, and reinstall it, without doing any damage to anything at all.. in my perfect dream world..

the glass is half full!

I ve got
A brain but no tools . I ll sort it! Cause I won't be beat!

Last edited:

milehigher

Newly Enlightened
I ve got
A brain but no tools . I ll sort it! Cause god damnit i won't be beat!
If you don't have one get a Dremel tool ,it cuts ,it grinds , sands, engraves, buffs, polishes, with apologies to my dog , it's a man other best friend !

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn.. I spent 15 pounds on adhesive remover.. but it doesn't even touch the tailcap!

Cerakote should be pretty much chemically inert. I doubt there is much that can remove it except mechanical force - aka grinding and scraping - or the fires of Mordor.

But a part of me kind of likes the well-worn look.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't want to take it down to the metal... the adhesive remover isn't working. Body is ok now... but the ends tail and bezel

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I thought Cerakote was applied on bare aluminum? Looks like there is black anodized under it. Is that right? Cause if the anodizing wasn't prepared right. That might be the problem

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know anything about cerakoke, this is a comment in the HDS thread

I have had a lot of Cerakote lights, and even more Cerakote guns, and have never seen a proper Cerakote finish wear like this. It looks as though it was just painted and not Cerakoted. Without analyzing it in person, I don't know for sure.
The last batch of Cerakote lights was done in Tucson by a large well respected company that specializes in coatings, and is certified by Cerakote. They even have the contract for Sturm Ruger firearms, and are the company that does all of Ruger's guns that are coated. I don't believe this light came from that batch... and I have a feeling it was not an HDS Cerakote job that was contracted out, but perhaps done, as Indigon suggested, by a third party circumventing HDS and Henry's quality control.