CR2 Lithium Batteries - Rayovac - really 1400mAh?

Almighty1

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the CR2 lithium batteries at http://www.batteryjunction.com/cr2-batteries.html and I noticed that Panasonic is 850mAh which is higher than Duracell and Energizer at 800mAh but then Rayovac shows 1400mAh. I will be using this in my home alarm systems door/window sensors. Is the 1400mAh basically going to mean I won't be replacing the battery as the 1400mAh would mean it's 1.64x more in the energy range or did they just mislabel the battery since how did they manage to squeeze 64% more in battery capacity? Thanks!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Probably an error as it would make the capacity of a CR2 almost as good as a CR123A at 1550mah.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Although the datasheet on those is very limited, it seems that they may be using a continuous draw current of only 15mA to measure capacity ....

Almighty1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, where on the spec sheet is the continuous draw actually listed for the Rayovac? I see it listed as 20ma on the Panasonic. What is strange is in the Visonic security documentation, it says one can use the standard CR2 but for UL installations, Panasonic or Sanyo. Sanyo is what came with it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Regardless of how they measure capacity if the batteries are the same size and same chemistry I cannot believe the capacity of any major brand making these can differ so much than another.... 20% more or less perhaps but 60%.... no.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Regardless of how they measure capacity if the batteries are the same size and same chemistry I cannot believe the capacity of any major brand making these can differ so much than another.... 20% more or less perhaps but 60%.... no.

Right. I've tried lots of different CR2 batteries and 1400 mAh just seems way out of line. Although there have been incremental increases in capacity over the years, there's nothing I've read about that would account for a 60% or so increase.

Almighty1

Newly Enlightened
Right. I've tried lots of different CR2 batteries and 1400 mAh just seems way out of line. Although there have been incremental increases in capacity over the years, there's nothing I've read about that would account for a 60% or so increase.

What brands did you find to be good for CR2 batteries? Since I'm using it in a alarm system for the door sensor.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
For rechargeables I've used AW ICR (lithium cobalt), Orbtronic ICR (lithium cobalt), and Efan IMR (lithium manganese), and for primaries Energizer and Duracell. If your application is low draw the primaries will probably be best. For high draw applications (such as some of my CR2 size lights) the Efan IMR have been good, but I doubt your appplication requires these. If you like rechargeables the AW (if you can find them) or the Orbtronic should work fine.

Almighty1

Newly Enlightened
I think I have to use primaries, not sure if rechargeables will work. Don't they cost a lot more since the primaries lasts 3 years if not longer. Are the Energizer and Duracell made by Panasonic?

magellan

Honorary Aussie
They could be as Energizer and Duracell just relabel the batteries as their own.

Last edited:

Almighty1

Newly Enlightened
I thought they might be different since the Duracell is listed as 750mAh and 800mAh while the Energizer is listed as 800mAh, both less than the Panasonic at 850mAh. I was just curious but if the mAh is the same, is there a difference between the regular Panasonic vs Panasonic Industrial batteries because I just ordered from bgmicro instead since the prices were lower.

Last edited:

Latest posts