WTB: Compatible Lenses and LED Bulbs for stock fitment of Nissan Xterra rooftop lamps

Houndsong

Newly Enlightened
Seeking a pair of compatible or OEM lenses (the 4" diameter round, heavy-duty glass enclosure into which a 9005 style bulb is inserted) for the stock Off Road Lamps that have a fitment on the rooftop above the vehicle windshield of the model years 2011 Nissan Xterra SUV. I am also seeking a pair of compatible or OEM 9005 style bulbs, and would like to go with an LED option in a night-vision-friendly green or red color, or a clean white light. I have heard of people retrofitting HID bulbs into their stock lenses but I am concerned about heat and power consumption, as well as having sufficient room for a ballast. The stock OEM bulbs are 9005 Halogen.

Here's a photo from another forum thread that shows some information that might be useful to someone with more experience than I have: well, darn, is there a way to upload a photo without setting up a third party hosting account?

I am looking forward to your help and advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

Houndsong

Newly Enlightened
Please note, the model year is 2011. I have been told the lenses for 2009 and 2010 are NOT compatible. Also, Lens is a bit of a misnomer, because it's an entire glass enclosure into which the bulb fits, but I don't know the precise term to describe it. Thank you, all. Thanks, Bill for relocating my thread to the proper forum.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I... would like to go with an LED option in a night-vision-friendly green or red color, or a clean white light.
There are no legitimate LED HB3/9005 bulbs. And at the intensities of an HB3, neither red nor green will be "night-vision-friendly", whether talking about your own eyes or night vision equipment.

I have heard of people retrofitting HID bulbs into their stock lenses
But the kits used to do that are illegal and ruin the performance of the lamps.

is there a way to upload a photo without setting up a third party hosting account?
CPF Benefactors, Dealers/Manufacturers, Vendors, and Moderators have upload privileges.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Seeking a pair of compatible or OEM lenses (the 4" diameter round, heavy-duty glass enclosure into which a 9005 style bulb is inserted) for the stock Off Road Lamps that have a fitment on the rooftop

You can't replace just the lens. The replacement part is the lamp assembly, which has a bonded lens/reflector construction.

I am also seeking a pair of compatible or OEM 9005 style bulbs

Standard 9005 bulbs are as close as your nearest auto parts store. If you want to upgrade, get these and trim the base tabs as shown in this diagram.

and would like to go with an LED option in a night-vision-friendly green or red color, or a clean white light.

No, no, no, and no. So-called "LED bulbs" are not legitimate or effective, no matter what brand they are and no matter what the seller claims; the only bulbs that really work in halogen lamps are halogen bulbs, and they're going to look like halogen bulbs because that's what they are. There is no such thing as "clean" light. Neither green nor red is even remotely legal for you to have in front-facing lamps, even if you promise you'll never turn them on unless you're off the road, cross your heart and hope to die, stick a needle in your eye, on a stack of your mother's bibles.

I have heard of people retrofitting HID bulbs

This is another "No", as described in painfully lengthy detail here. Most of the same issues apply to the so-called "LED bulbs", just the details are different.

is there a way to upload a photo without setting up a third party hosting account?

No, you have to host the photo somewhere and point to it unless you're one of the categories Alaric mentioned.

Houndsong

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your super-informative replies, Virgil and Alaric. I appreciate you taking the time to be so helpful.