High CRI Smaller Headlamp

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a headlamp CR123 or AAA that uses a Nichia 219b 4000k emitter.

Does this exist at all or will I have to make it? If I need to make one, anyone know of an angle light host easy to mod?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooh. Tough one.

I think it's interesting you mentioned specifically AAA or Cr123 lights but not AA. I think you're going to find most High CRI options in the AA format just because they are more popular. The ones that stand out are the Zebralight H53c/Fc, H502c, and H502d. The first is a typical reflectored angle light with the Cree XP-L2 Easywhite. The latter 2 use Philips Luxeon emitters with the c being 4000K and the d being 5000k. All are high CRI but none are Nichias.

Zebralight doesn't offer their H3X series lights in all these emitter combinations unfortunately. Only cool and neutral. That said, I have both H3X (Cr123) and H5X (AA) series lights and they are hardly different in size. The AA variant is slightly longer while the cr123 variant is slightly girthier in the tube. Both share the same size head and both are among the smallest sized lights in their respective categories.

There are a couple AAA angle lights coming onto the scene including the Maratac "TPF" light and the new Manker E02.

The Maratac light is quite small but has a twisty UI which you may not like. It's also pure flood.

The Manker is a little beefier and in fact, it's scarcely smaller than the AA Zebralight (72 mm long vs 75, and 20mm in diameter vs 21.8). It's also no lighter than the Zebralight when you compare their weight with no batteries (Zebralight is actually lighter at 31g vs 32g). That's not much of a size savings for losing several times the battery capacity.

In short, I'm not aware of a current gen, high CRI CR123 or AAA angle light. Of the CRI options, I'm aware of only the Zebralight AA options, and none use Nichia LEDs. However, if you aren't limited to just the Nichia, there are several standard/flood models with a variety of high CRI tints and efficiencies available. In reality and especially in practice, they are not larger than a corresponding AAA or Cr123 model, and they offer they broadest choice of power sources (alkaline, lithium primary, lithium ion, and NiMH).

Hope this helps.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooh. Tough one.

I think it's interesting you mentioned specifically AAA or Cr123 lights but not AA. I think you're going to find most High CRI options in the AA format just because they are more popular. The ones that stand out are the Zebralight H53c/Fc, H502c, and H502d. The first is a typical reflectored angle light with the Cree XP-L2 Easywhite. The latter 2 use Philips Luxeon emitters with the c being 4000K and the d being 5000k. All are high CRI but none are Nichias.

Zebralight doesn't offer their H3X series lights in all these emitter combinations unfortunately. Only cool and neutral. That said, I have both H3X (Cr123) and H5X (AA) series lights and they are hardly different in size. The AA variant is slightly longer while the cr123 variant is slightly girthier in the tube. Both share the same size head and both are among the smallest sized lights in their respective categories.

There are a couple AAA angle lights coming onto the scene including the Maratac "TPF" light and the new Manker E02.

The Maratac light is quite small but has a twisty UI which you may not like. It's also pure flood.

The Manker is a little beefier and in fact, it's scarcely smaller than the AA Zebralight (72 mm long vs 75, and 20mm in diameter vs 21.8). It's also no lighter than the Zebralight when you compare their weight with no batteries (Zebralight is actually lighter at 31g vs 32g). That's not much of a size savings for losing several times the battery capacity.

In short, I'm not aware of a current gen, high CRI CR123 or AAA angle light. Of the CRI options, I'm aware of only the Zebralight AA options, and none use Nichia LEDs. However, if you aren't limited to just the Nichia, there are several standard/flood models with a variety of high CRI tints and efficiencies available. In reality and especially in practice, they are not larger than a corresponding AAA or Cr123 model, and they offer they broadest choice of power sources (alkaline, lithium primary, lithium ion, and NiMH).

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

I think I can swing a low weight AA model, I wish Zebralight uses Nichia emitters. Also been looking at the Armytek Tiara c1 High CRI, seems to be a limited edition. And I discovered the Nitecore NU20 CRI, comes the closes as its low weight and 219b but uses a proprietary cell with pretty low capacity.

Maratac may be an option but I dont believe it comes with a headstrap, does it?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geobruin already mentioned the Manker E02, which was the only option I knew of, but I don't think they sell a headband for it.

If size is the priority, rather than battery type, Nitecore has the NU20 available in a Nichia 219 version.

It has a built-in lithium-ion battery, recharges via USB, and is extremely lightweight. Unfortunately, the battery is not intended to be user replaceable. At $35, maybe a few years use is enough to justify it?

Speculation is that Zebralight will probably be releasing an H33 headlamp soon, running on CR123A with a high CRI XP-L2 emitter like their new H53c/Fc (AA version). From discussion over in the H53c thread, it doesn't sound like the XP-L2 is as consistent as the Nichia 219B though.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geobruin already mentioned the Manker E02, which was the only option I knew of, but I don't think they sell a headband for it.

If size is the priority, rather than battery type, Nitecore has the NU20 available in a Nichia 219 version.

It has a built-in lithium-ion battery, recharges via USB, and is extremely lightweight. Unfortunately, the battery is not intended to be user replaceable. At $35, maybe a few years use is enough to justify it?

Speculation is that Zebralight will probably be releasing an H33 headlamp soon, running on CR123A with a high CRI XP-L2 emitter like their new H53c/Fc (AA version). From discussion over in the H53c thread, it doesn't sound like the XP-L2 is as consistent as the Nichia 219B though.

the NU20 looks to be the one I want bot its odd that the battery has a lower capacity than their NU10. I wish it was 4000k but for $35 I'll take some compromises.

Also discovered the Armytek Tiara C1 CRI90, anyone every tried it? I imagine the tint to be very yellow?

Zak

Enlightened
From discussion over in the H53c thread, it doesn't sound like the XP-L2 is as consistent as the Nichia 219B though.

And yet, Zebralight's explanation for not using Nichia emitters is that their tints are too inconsistent. I can't imagine how such a claim is reality-based.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
the NU20 looks to be the one I want bot its odd that the battery has a lower capacity than their NU10. I wish it was 4000k but for $35 I'll take some compromises.

Also discovered the Armytek Tiara C1 CRI90, anyone every tried it? I imagine the tint to be very yellow?

The NU20 has a smaller battery than the NU10, but is also a fair amount lighter weight. Still with 600 mAh at 3.7V, it blows away an Eneloop AAA and has nearly as much juice as an Eneloop AA (2.22, 0.9, and 2.4 Wh respectively).

I have the Armytek Tiara A1 Pro 90CRI Warm. If you want a headlamp with a rock solid body, Armytek has you covered. If you want a lightweight headlamp, look elsewhere. Zebralight has a 20-30g weight advantage over Armytek, at least in the AA models.

The light output is very warm toned - warmer than ideal for some purposes, but very gentle on the eyes. Measuring approximate CCT using my camera and RAW converter, I got 2800K. It does have a slightly yellowish tint, but not one I find offensive. While I'd describe a halogen bulb as golden, or the 3200K Yuji's I have as creamy, I'd describe the 90-CRI XM-L2 as very slightly lemon-flavored.

While I'm happy with mine, I think the Nichia 219B has the Cree XM-L2 beat if color quality is your top priority, while Cree wins for peak output.

Last edited:

Nev

Banned
Manker eo2 nichia with a nite ize headband , it's a perfect fit.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
That NU20 does look cool. I prefer a light I can swap the battery in for many purposes but for trail running and other activities where I know I'll be fine on a single charge, it looks like a great option.

I wonder if it bounces like a cylindrical light when running. It looks like the flatter shape against your head would prevent that without the need for a top strap. Might be cheap enough to answer all these questions myself...

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
That NU20 does look cool. I prefer a light I can swap the battery in for many purposes but for trail running and other activities where I know I'll be fine on a single charge, it looks like a great option.

I wonder if it bounces like a cylindrical light when running. It looks like the flatter shape against your head would prevent that without the need for a top strap. Might be cheap enough to answer all these questions myself...

Don't forget that the NU20 supports being powered/charged by a USB power bank while using it, so runtime is not limited.

And no, it so lightweight that it doesn't bounce.

Rekkie

Newly Enlightened

Did a review for the NU20 a while ago. Doesn't have any bounce. Probably the nicest compact headlamp I've ever owned...that said, mine's switch broke after 2 months. And you are limited with runtime. And the usb recharging ability is not very refined...the cable drops over your eyes, unless you use a 90deg angled cable.

I'm looking at getting either a Fenix HL50, Olight H1Nova or Armytek Tiata C1 now to replace it.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the Manker 219c aaa headlamp with nitize band as sugggested above, very happy. Sucks that shortly afterwards Manker released with a headband but that's what happens.