Anything better than a Micra?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at getting a couple more Leatherman Micras.

Before I do, I was wondering if there are any other similar size tools with nice scissors?

I looked at the Leatherman Squirts and can't figure out why they run $7-$10 more. I'd like to keep this in the under $25 price range.

Thanks,
GregR

Samoan

Enlightened
Original Micra is still my favorite. The only thing that makes the Squirts *possibly* superior is the anodizing.

To quote the SO when she had her Micra confiscated on the way to Costa Rica, "Can I have a color one this time, I am a girl you know."

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep the new Micra have Anodized color scales over stainless steel and some can still be found with the colored plastic layered over stainless steel.

I looked at the Squirts again today, nope will not pay extra 10 bucks for them!

The new all stainless steel Micras I looked at appear to use thinner stainless for the handles than before. Does anyone know if they are thinner or the same?

GregR

Bill.H

Enlightened
I've tried the Micra, SOG Crosscut, and Schrade Tough Chip.
The Tough Chip isn't, it now collects dust.
(there's also a SOG Crossgrip, same tool with mini-pliers instead of scissors)

Quality on the Micra and SOG seem to be equal, I'd go with whichever has the tool combo you prefer. I ended up carrying the SOG myself, but my daughters grabbed the Micras.
If the SOG had a Phillips, it would definitely be better instead of equal.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
how does the micra compare to a juice? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rothrandir-

They don't compare, Micras are around 2 inches long, Juice models are about double that length and 2 or 3 times their weight.

Has anyone seen anything at the Shot show from Gerber that may compete?

GregR

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use the Micra. Have two of them, and like them enough to not shop for something "better".
One of my friends who I gave a Micra did buy a Squirt S4, and likes it more. I think the tools are more accessible, being on the outside when closed. Not sure though, I never really looked at them.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my P4 (pliers version of the S4) due to the fact it has a mini-pliers. This really seems to be be a personal preference, as many people I know have Micras and love them. I've also handled the SOGs (crossgrip and crosscut), and all else told it seems to come down to what feels best to you. One thing to note is that the SOG does have a compound-leverage scissors, which might be a factor if you are cutting thick materials a lot.

-Mike

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
I used to carry a Micra and had no problems with it, but I switched to a Squirt (both S4 and P4) because I like not having to open it up to get to the tools. Plus, the handles are more comfortable on the Squirt (to me anyway)--but this is usually only put to the test with tough materials or when using the pliers.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all three squirt models, and gave p4's for Christmas presents and gave my wife a S4 with her name on it because the paint all wore off her micra. I want to find a small case that will hold the three.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two Leatherman juice models and they are 3.25 inches long and much better appointed than the micra that I carried for years. I have the K4f and the S2

paulr

Flashaholic
I thought the Squirt wasn't really in the same category as the Micra. The Squirt is larger and about 2x as heavy, right?

Neko2

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, for something to throw in a pocket and not wory about until you need it the Micra is perfect. It's small and tough as nails. I've had mine for 3 years now and it still looks and works like new.

I do also have a squirt p4, juice pro, supertool 200, wave, original Gerber multi, urban legend and a utilikey. I tend to use the micra the most followed closely by the juice.

It's all in what you need, but I'd go for a micra in my pocket If I could only have one mini multitool.

N2

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
paulr,
The Squirt is approximately the same size as the Micra, and the Squirt S4 has the same set of tools as the Micra except that you can open the tools with the handles still closed (nice feature).

I think you're think of the Juice that is larger than the Micra.

cool4light

Newly Enlightened
i have been looking for a new tool to maybe replace the swiss army knife in my keychain.
and will probably end up getting the micra i have 2 other leathermans and have been very satisfied with their quality.

ssb

Newly Enlightened
Have looked at both Squirt S4 and Micra.

Squirt: 2.25 inches long, 57g weight, tools open with handles closed, handles are more comfortable
Micra: 2.5 inches long, 50g weight, tools open only with handles open, handles are less comfortable

Thought the Squirt weighs a bit more and is slightly more expensive, comfort and convenience take precedence for me. Like the size a bit better too, for pocket EDC.

ssb

Newly Enlightened
Really wanted both pliers and scissors in the same unit, though consider the Juice too big for pocket EDC - 3.25 inches long and 125g weight (for the smallest Juice - the S2). So, have to make a choice, Squirt P4 or S4....in this small sized unit, for me the scissors will be more functional than the pliers. Noticed however that the P2 appears more popular (has a better sales rating on Amazon).