Miboxer        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Nitecore Superb Charger - SC4

Default Re: New Nitecore Superb Charger - SC4

Plastic Vernier Caliper google that.

Quote Originally Posted by david57strat View Post
    I have a question for those people who have measured their battery length, with calipers. How do you do this, accurately, without shorting out the battery? It seems, to me, that with both ends of the calipers, making contact with both ends of the battery, that would cause it to short/fail. Using any kind of spacer would defeat the purpose of calipers, unless you had something that was s fixed width, and subtracted that width, from the overall measurement...?
    The answer is tape. Put some tape on the jaws of the caliper and then zero it before measuring.
    My website with battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 1000 reviews of batteries, charges and other stuff.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Yes, I have a vernier caliper with fiberglass jaws
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
    I'd like to know if any of you with the SC4 have tried and or use various Protected 18650 cells (which are longer). From the spec's and my own measurement of my cells they either would not fit or would be so tight removing/inserting may break the plastic.
    SC4_protected.JPG

This is a Keepower and an Eagtac protected cell, the two longest I have. Next to them is a VTC5A and an AA Eneloop, for scale.

It didn't feel like any problem to use the charger with these cells.

I guess a merge between SC4 and Xtar SV4 (hypothetical) would be an ideal charger. SC4 is too noisy and "relaxed" on termination voltage. Sometimes it finishes at 4.16V, sometimes at 4.13V...
    Last edited by vadimax; 09-16-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    I guess a merge between SC4 and Xtar SV4 (hypothetical) would be an ideal charger. SC4 is too noisy and "relaxed" on termination voltage. Sometimes it finishes at 4.16V, sometimes at 4.13V...
    I have four SV2s. I only wish they made an SV4, that could actually charge four 18650s at 2 Amps/Hr./slot lol.

Even my Dragon won't do that - but only 2 at 2 Amps, or 4 at 1 Amp.

The SC4 is the closets thing I've come to, that can actually charge as many as three batteries, at 2 Amps/hr, each.
    Last edited by david57strat; 09-16-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scintillator View Post
    Plastic Vernier Caliper google that.
    I would love one that has a nice, super clear digital readout, and could measure in English or Metric, and that would measure up to maybe a foot, or so. This would measure most of my lights, and of course, all of my batteries.

Also, who makes a really high quality set of vernier calipers, with non-conductive "teeth" (not sure what they're really called). I subscribe to the "Buy once, cry once" mentality, and I prefer buying super high quality tools that are going to last me a long time.
    Last edited by david57strat; 09-16-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Flashaholic

My digital calipers have a zero button to ensure its reading zero when closed and are not metal. They should not be hard to find but depends on your area. Not specified in the post.

I got mine from Princess Auto or Auto parts places should carry something.

I got these;
    Ares6-Inch Composite Vernier Digital Caliper with LCD Screen | ARES 70019 | Measure and Convert in Inches and Millimeters,on the huge marketplace named after a jungle.
    I have been happy with them,but no case and you will have to replace the battery once a year or so.
    Of course Mitutoyo 500-474 Digital Calipers is the best in my opinion but they will really hurt the pocketbook.
    Last edited by scintillator; 09-17-2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling

My digital calipers have a zero button to ensure its reading zero when closed and are not metal. They should not be hard to find but depends on your area. Not specified in the post.

I got mine from Princess Auto or Auto parts places should carry something.
    Just put two strips of Scotch tape on the blades, zero out the caliper and go to town.

No reason to buy a special plastic set.

We're not building space shuttles here.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Mine are by Wiha ... about ~ $30

( I have Mitutoyo's, too, but those are metal )
    Last edited by archimedes; 09-17-2017 at 07:57 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic

Could you clarify? Noisy

Finish at those voltages? Or drop to them after charging terminates?

It's a faster charger, so I'd expect the post-charging voltage drop to be much more pronounced than with a slower charger like the Nitecore D4 for example.

Flashaholic

Ok, as per a much earlier question. My protected batteries are 70.4mm as per my digital calipers and are NCR18650B Li-ion

I moved the calipers more open to 71.0mm and that isn't a lot of wiggle room. HJK as I recall in his review spec's the slots at 70mm. If that is a constant in manufacturing it isn't going to work for Protected cells as mine are not especially long. Why are oem's making them so short when they're intended for diverse set of batteries. I have and I4 Nitecore charger as well and never had cell fit issues but its slow for more than two Li-ion at once.

PS: I just took the cell to the I4 which was in a drawer. Yep it goes in, but no wiggle room as its in very snug going in and not more than 70.4mm
    Maybe a revision on this will come out by the end of the year. SC4 could use some improvements from post comments.
    Last edited by tripplec; Yesterday at 12:07 PM.

Ok, as per a much earlier question. My protected batteries are 70.4mm as per my digital calipers and are NCR18650B Li-ion
    Your protected batteries are some of the longest, the shortest are around 68mm.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Could you clarify? Noisy
    With power supplied, but without any load (empty slots or all batteries full) it emits an audible hiss. Most likely a high frequency transformer resonates.

Quote Originally Posted by terjee View Post
    Finish at those voltages? Or drop to them after charging terminates?

It's a faster charger, so I'd expect the post-charging voltage drop to be much more pronounced than with a slower charger like the Nitecore D4 for example.
    As NKJ noted with other Nitecore chargers they suffer high termination current issue (~250mA):

At the same time Xtar high current charger terminates at nice 75mA:

As a result its fully charged batteries come out with 4.18-4.19V.
    Last edited by vadimax; Today at 12:15 AM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    Your protected batteries are some of the longest, the shortest are around 68mm.
    Hmm, when I was looking for high capacity & current 18650 for almost a year off and on. I did look at cell length from the sources I was considering in their options. Only flat top and/or non protected were below 70mm. I however were focusing on Protected Cells only and saw the others when the type was vague, then realized they were not protected as was the case many times for the 18650GA I came across. The major problem was finding a source that was not selling a extortion rates to Canada. I settled on the next best solution for my light as 4 of these 18650B max'd out would pump enough current to drive the 11 Cree chubby light. (They do...having used it now)

It took at least 4 months for the cells to arrive and they are quite common on many selling batter sites If there are other shorter I'd expect they would have to use an extremely thin protected cap of fake one to achieve a length near 69mm or less. I have been changing these and my other Sanyo 18650's in my SH4 charger almost exclusively since I got it which does a good job pushing 1A to each cell whether 2 or 4 in it.

Hence my next charge would need to support these 18650 with detailed display and 1A min on all 4 slots (non pulsing current, just stops for voltage sampling and on again). The SC4 does appear to have some refining to be done in its charging termination phase in the least. Fit is key and not likely that it will be changed. I am sure many others are using these cells as well.
    Last edited by tripplec; Today at 07:08 AM.

Take a look at the picture I posted higher up. Those are Keeppower and Eagletac cells, both protected, but quality, both are shorter. Also available through NKON, which ships almost world-wide.

I measure length on all cells I test/review, but sadly there have not been many protected recently. My general impression is that only a few batteries are longer than 70mm.

The SC4 would benefit from a couple of fixes/updates.
    In this table you can see how long batteries the different chargers support: http://lygte-info.dk/info/roundCellC...ndex%20UK.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12