is there a decent $20 knife out there?

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened
I've got a couple of nice folders that I carry but I'm looking for a decent edc/beater for around $20 or less. Fixed or folder isn't too important. Maybe a 3-4" blade. I'm going to mostly use it for practicing my sharpening anyway. Any suggestions?

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes, the Frosts of Sweden Mora-pattern knives with the plastic handles are really nice. They're 4" fixed blades, quite strong, Sandvik stainless steel not the hardest in the world, but corrosion resistant enough that Swedes use them for ice fishing. They're around $10-12 each. There's also a carbon steel version which is a buck or so more. They use the Scandinavian grind (basically no bevel) and are incredibly easy to sharpen freehand. Their main drawback is they come with a rather crappy plastic sheath and you might want to figure out a better one.

http://www.swedishknives.com/760craft.htm
760craftblue.jpg

Rebus

Enlightened
Try the new Shrade Badger. It is in
the style of the spyderco knives and
the steel seems to be pretty good.
I got mine for about $15.00 at Wal-Mart.
I really like its grippy moulded handle.

-Rebus

Topper

Flashaholic*
I have 2 of the Frosts of Sweden with The laminated steel blade.The center of the blade is made from high carbon steel surrounded by a softer alloyed steel layer. Super sharp knife with a really sorry sheath.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the Ka-Bar Doziers above, they are reviewed in the May issue of Tactical Knives on the newstands now. I like his blade designs nice utilitarian knives.

Tad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
I'll second both the KA-BAR and the Mora knives. They don't have to be Frosts, there's also Erikksson's available out of Mora. I've purchased HERE and been extremely satisfied. Good guy to deal with. Check out the models 711, 731, and 2000. Best knife made for the money, if you can replace the plastic sheaths (they're easy to make).

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also agree with the vapor, Carry mine everyday though
i am about to order a minigriptillian.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Opinel. I like the OP8. ~$8, and will outcut just about anything.

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened
I think I might just order a Vapor and one of the Kabar Doziers. I'll also look into the Mora fixed blade.

Thanks for the suggestions!

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if we're bringing the Opinel (great traditional french knife, by the way!) into this then we can't forget the Nontron, Douk douk, Okapi or Mercator Cat knives either all inexpensive traditional european locking designs (some 300 or so years old) that are still manufactured and are excellent choices for foreign travel as they are very non threatening but efficient knives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deanster

Enlightened
I'm a big fan of the Gerber LST lockback. Three sizes all under $20, decent stainless, very lightweight and slim. I've got one I've had for over 15 years, and it's still going strong. Not the most sophisticated knife, but solid, dependable and cheap.

I also like the blade shape so much that it's become my standard of comparison - very few other blades have such a good combination of width, depth and drop point.

Highly recommended.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Ugh,
I hate my LST - still have it around - it's at the bottom of my shaving kit, and was put there as a "if I ever forget my knife, at least I'll have SOMETHING" knife

Deanster

Enlightened
LST - it's no Sebenza, and it's no Delica, but it's 1/15th the price of the Sebenza, and 1/3 the price of the Delica, and it's the perfect knife to have at the bottom of the drawer/bag/whatever. Can you buy a better knife? Clearly. Can you buy a better knife for $18? Not that I know of.

Rail

Newly Enlightened
Two knives I've had for many years, my Schrade Cliphanger & Western sheath knife.

Originally I think I paid $22, for the Schrade... between '95-'96. I still carry the same one, granted I don't abuse it aggressively, but it's been my EDC since I brought it home. What sold me was the clip, I loop webbing through the split ring and over my belt, and hook the clip to the closest belt loop over the pocket. What I don't like about it is the riveted construction, and the linerlock is set into the zytel scales which make up the frame of the knife. As far as Imperial Schrade is concerned, their warranty service is excellent. I purchased another Viper CH7 and 3 Mini cliphanger knives without clips off E-bay, and they sent me new clip assemblies for free. They were also very prompt to replace my brother's Viper when the rivet loosened up.

I've had my Western since '93-'94, and I've been very happy with this $20 knife. I think you can still buy them at Walmart. I took mine camping and wore it whenever I could get away with carrying a sheath knife, and never had a problem. This past summer I did notice the handle had loosened up, the leather washers in the handle had shrunk/dried out (despite my efforts to keep it oiled), so I called Camillus. They replaced it promplty with a new knife and sheath, free of charge. Normally I'd be ecstatic, but I was a bit sentimental to the original my father gave me. I can't technically say it's the same knife anymore.

Otherwise I've been very happy with the pair. I've been giving some thought to carrying more serious hardware, but I haven't been that eager to separate myself from so much cash, especially since they're both still in good service.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Columbia River(CRKT)make some pretty good,fairly cheap knives.I have carried a stiff K.I.S.S.(fixed blade)inside my shirt for years on duty.If I remember correct it was about 17 dollars.Holds an edge pretty good and is thick enough for most tasks.I have had good luck with this brand and own many of their knives.